Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I love that we talk about the Dodgers like we talk about the Lakers, if they're good let's get 'em!

This is how we do it! I still believe

vCash
    Just so you guys know:

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
    not sure where new ethier rumors came from. dont like to call anything impossible, but LAD & Sea havent talked "in weeks"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DLCK View Post
    He got paid his market value at the time of his signing.. i dont see how he wouldnt of walked out of this free agency without a 6yr / 75/80mill offer .. Is he over paid ? Yes. But i dont think it diminishes his value as much as everyone thinks. I think he will have a solid season.
    Well Swisher is a much better player and he got 4/56. If teams wanted to grossly overpay somebody, why wouldn't they have just overpaid Swisher who produces from both sides of the plate and plays two positions? If Andre Ethier cost nothing more than taking over his contract, nobody would take him. LA would without a doubt have to throw in money to even get anyone interested. To get a return, they'd need to add a significant amount of money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgerBlue24 View Post
    Why would we be talking about Stanton? Because he is a superstar in the making, actually he already is... He wants out of Miami, He's from So Cal, and the dodgers have the money to pay him... For that to even be a real option they would need to trade Ethier... Thus the trade with Seattle... Ethier would bring back decent specs that we could throw in with the likes of Gordon, Lee, Joc to potentially bring Stanton to LA...

Like its been said its just a pipe dream but with the new ownership NOTHING is impossible and By trading Ethier it opens the door on the Stanton idea... That's why he's been brought up...

In my opinion I would basically trade the farm for a guy like Stanton...
    Fair enough. It's not really like I've been very critical of people talking about him and I certainly didn't call anyone out or resort to name calling. Just posting my opinion. However there really hadn't been a post like this regarding Stanton. No one broke it down. I just get annoyed reading posts like "oh cool, we may be trading Ethier to the Mariners, now let's flip those specs for Stanton".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tymathee View Post
    I love that we talk about the Dodgers like we talk about the Lakers, if they're good let's get 'em!
    As a Clippers fan that is probably why talk like this annoyes me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan365 View Post
    Just so you guys know:

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
    not sure where new ethier rumors came from. dont like to call anything impossible, but LAD & Sea havent talked "in weeks"
    And it wasn't a "rumor" after all/thread.

vCash
    Buster Olney said they were talking though
    #Joc2LA

vCash
    Not gonna happen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FWBrodie View Post
    Well Swisher is a much better player and he got 4/56. If teams wanted to grossly overpay somebody, why wouldn't they have just overpaid Swisher who produces from both sides of the plate and plays two positions? If Andre Ethier cost nothing more than taking over his contract, nobody would take him. LA would without a doubt have to throw in money to even get anyone interested. To get a return, they'd need to add a significant amount of money.
    Swisher is not better than Ethier.
    Lakers, Dodgers, Kings
    Bring Back the Los Angeles Rams

vCash
    Whoever called Ethier a 25/100 player, you realize he's hit each number only one time in 7 full years right? Ethier is a solid player but he's not going to get a return of Walker, Hultzen, or Paxton in any trade. Zunino obviously would be nowhere near an Ethier package either. Nick Franklin is an interesting possibility because it's about to the point where the Mariners need to realize he projects at 2B and need to move either him or Ackley before they're both needing full time seasoning at the major league level. That could work in the Dodgers favor.

I'd imagine if a deal went down it would look something like Ethier/Capuano/Gordon for Franklin/Furbush/Gutierrez/Ryan/Carp. The teams have already been in contact for weeks regarding Capuano also, when we moved Vargas for Morales we shuffled our lone lefty out of the lineup. Capuano is a southpaw and can eat up innings just like Vargas. The Dodgers badly need defensive help up the middle and Brendan Ryan would be ideal, don't let his stats fool you on his impact on a teams record. Ryan on the move would send Gordon this way, and I truly don't know that he's a long-term answer yet for anyone, I have more confidence in Miller coming up through our system, but if nothing else Dee could be an adequate young stopgap.

A big chip in the trade heading to LA would be Furbush, under team control through 2018 just like Dee Gordon and one of the top couple left handed relievers in baseball last year. Your bullpen badly needs more late inning left handed pitching and I've heard his name floated if something for Ethier goes down. Gutierrez is signed for one more year, came up through the Dodgers organization originally and is a gold glove CF'er who just tore up the Venezuelan league for those paying attention. I know the goal would be to have Bourn filling center and moving Kemp to RF but Guti is the type of guy you want available on your team. We just happen tohave Saunders who looks to be locking down the CF job long-term in Seattle. Mike Carp is a solid backup 1B/LF lefty with power when healthy who could be in the deal or not, we can't include Casper Wells though because Ethier doesn't know how to hit left handed pitching so the right handed Wells could rotate into the lineup in certain situations.

Nick Franklin would be the top 5 prospect, projecting to be playing the same position as Ackley by the end of the year, imo at 2B, but he's so young you never know. Even though he's a top 5 prospect in our stacked farm system, I think we'd include him in the 3 for 5 deal above if enough cash was coming our way, as in near 30 million. We'd be taking on a lot more salary than giving up and we won't renew and quadruple our tv deal revenues until we can opt out in 3 more years, so we have to play it close since Felix will come up for a new contract a year before that happens if over the next few years negotiations move along. We didn't just sign a huge tv deal as your team has. If there isn't that large of a chunk of change coming over, no way Franklin is involved, and possibly even Furbush, killing any deal. Ethier is an above average RF, yet in all honesty he is overpaid and realistically a platoon player turning 31 a week into this coming season, who we'd replace with someone like Casper Wells when facing left handed pitching. Not to mention Ethier's significant drop off in production post-all-star-break for 3 straight seasons. Been annoying hasn't it? Think it's going to get better over the next 5 years as he nears 36?

Believe me, that deal I mentioned above would be the absolute best case scenario in a package for Ethier. To think Taijuan, Hultzen, Zunino, or Paxton would be in a deal is ludicrous if you even know who they are or how our GM times trades of prospects if any do get traded. The timing doesn't fit and neither does the talent level for it to happen in anything for Andre and I know both teams and farm systems very well. Stanton is a much different story.

As a Mariners fan, I'd prefer we don't even give up as much as I mentioned above as being a possible fair deal for both sides for someone on the wrong side of 30 with a pattern of declining productivity as seasons go on. I wouldn't give up any of our top 10 prospects in a deal, our prospects aren't all low A ball players, they're near almost all ready for the bigs this year. This is a situation I'd rather stand where we are as I don't feel it would improve us long-term, if at all in any way. Thought I'd give you guys a Seattle take on it.

For the record I think the Mariners are waiting to see what happens with the Nationals, because they'd rather have Morse considering the difference in productivity vs. what they'd need to give up to get a trade for Morse done vs. Ethier if the Nats deem Morse expendable. The Mariners could have a Furbush or sign Howell and flip him as the centerpiece in a trade for Morse with some other pieces and he'd be a much better value than Ethier. Which explains why we've made no offer on Ethier.
    Last edited by Oprk; 01-02-2013 at 11:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracka2HI! View Post
    Fair enough. It's not really like I've been very critical of people talking about him and I certainly didn't call anyone out or resort to name calling. Just posting my opinion. However there really hadn't been a post like this regarding Stanton. No one broke it down. I just get annoyed reading posts like "oh cool, we may be trading Ethier to the Mariners, now let's flip those specs for Stanton".
    It's cool, no worries... I was just explaining how the ideas are tangled together...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oprk:24949341
    Whoever called Ethier a 25/100 player, you realize he's hit each number only one time in 7 full years right? Ethier is a solid player but he's not going to get a return of Walker, Hultzen, or Paxton in any trade. Zunino obviously would be nowhere near an Ethier package either. Nick Franklin is an interesting possibility because it's about to the point where the Mariners need to realize he projects at 2B and need to move either him or Ackley before they're both needing full time seasoning at the major league level. That could work in the Dodgers favor.

I'd imagine if a deal went down it would look something like Ethier/Capuano/Gordon for Franklin/Furbush/Gutierrez/Ryan/Carp. The teams have already been in contact for weeks regarding Capuano also, when we moved Vargas for Morales we shuffled our lone lefty out of the lineup. Capuano is a southpaw and can eat up innings just like Vargas. The Dodgers badly need defensive help up the middle and Brendan Ryan would be ideal, don't let his stats fool you on his impact on a teams record. Ryan on the move would send Gordon this way, and I truly don't know that he's a long-term answer yet for anyone, I have more confidence in Miller coming up through our system, but if nothing else Dee could be an adequate young stopgap.

A big chip in the trade heading to LA would be Furbush, under team control through 2018 just like Dee Gordon and one of the top couple left handed relievers in baseball last year. Your bullpen badly needs more late inning left handed pitching and I've heard his name floated if something for Ethier goes down. Gutierrez is signed for one more year, came up through the Dodgers organization originally and is a gold glove CF'er who just tore up the Venezuelan league for those paying attention. I know the goal would be to have Bourn filling center and moving Kemp to RF but Guti is the type of guy you want available on your team. We just happen tohave Saunders who looks to be locking down the CF job long-term in Seattle. Mike Carp is a solid backup 1B/LF lefty with power when healthy who could be in the deal or not, we can't include Casper Wells though because Ethier doesn't know how to hit left handed pitching so the right handed Wells could rotate into the lineup in certain situations.

Nick Franklin would be the top 5 prospect, projecting to be playing the same position as Ackley by the end of the year, imo at 2B, but he's so young you never know. Even though he's a top 5 prospect in our stacked farm system, I think we'd include him in the 3 for 5 deal above if enough cash was coming our way, as in near 30 million. We'd be taking on a lot more salary than giving up and we won't renew and quadruple our tv deal revenues until we can opt out in 3 more years, so we have to play it close since Felix will come up for a new contract a year before that happens if over the next few years negotiations move along. We didn't just sign a huge tv deal as your team has. If there isn't that large of a chunk of change coming over, no way Franklin is involved, and possibly even Furbush, killing any deal. Ethier is an above average RF, yet in all honesty he is overpaid and realistically a platoon player turning 31 a week into this coming season, who we'd replace with someone like Casper Wells when facing left handed pitching. Not to mention Ethier's significant drop off in production post-all-star-break for 3 straight seasons. Been annoying hasn't it? Think it's going to get better over the next 5 years as he nears 36?

Believe me, that deal I mentioned above would be the absolute best case scenario in a package for Ethier. To think Taijuan, Hultzen, Zunino, or Paxton would be in a deal is ludicrous if you even know who they are or how our GM times trades of prospects if any do get traded. The timing doesn't fit and neither does the talent level for it to happen in anything for Andre and I know both teams and farm systems very well. Stanton is a much different story.

As a Mariners fan, I'd prefer we don't even give up as much as I mentioned above as being a possible fair deal for both sides for someone on the wrong side of 30 with a pattern of declining productivity as seasons go on. I wouldn't give up any of our top 10 prospects in a deal, our prospects aren't all low A ball players, they're near almost all ready for the bigs this year. This is a situation I'd rather stand where we are as I don't feel it would improve us long-term, if at all in any way. Thought I'd give you guys a Seattle take on it.

For the record I think the Mariners are waiting to see what happens with the Nationals, because they'd rather have Morse considering the difference in productivity vs. what they'd need to give up to get a trade for Morse done vs. Ethier if the Nats deem Morse expendable. The Mariners could have a Furbush or sign Howell and flip him as the centerpiece in a trade for Morse with some other pieces and he'd be a much better value than Ethier. Which explains why we've made no offer on Ethier.
    Lol im glad we leave the wrk to the gms. We just love to rape each other in our own make believe trades.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DLCK View Post
    Lol im glad we leave the wrk to the gms.
    Sometimes I think even some of the GMs go full homer mode at times and overvalue their own prospects while undervaluing the other team's, which is of course common for many as fans, but as a GM you should be able to process information of your young talent in a realistic way *cough* Rangers *cough*

vCash
    Seattle needs someone who can help attract fans and make them at least talked about as a wild card Type team.

They were 5th to last in attendance last year.

The avg fan doesn't pay attention to prospects.
    The Ms haven't been a post season team in over 10 years.

They need to make improvements now (Ethier trade) for the short term and win look so they at least like a competitive places to play for future Free Agents.

vCash
    Andre Ethier is NEVER mentioned among the elite players in baseball, he alone will not set any record in Mariner's jersey sales or attendance. So the point i'm trying to make, the idea that Mariner's fans, casual and hard core, would suddenly feel their team was a contender by adding Ethier is...a reach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THINKBLUE15 View Post
    Swisher is not better than Ethier.
    How do you figure that?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast