Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Exactly.

Judging them on hidden gems is unfair as well. Do you think Omar knew he was signing a Cy Young winner when he signed Dickey to a minor league contract? He just got lucky. Chavez and Valentin were quality pick-ups, but mostly for just one year.

Things will be looking up imo by 2014. We should get better and better from that point.
    Omar said himself the only reason he signed Dickey is that he thought he'd make a good coach. Still, he saw something he liked of Dickey back in his Texas days.

That's enough to give Omar credit.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Well Sandy hasn't done a lot yet, but he has also only been here two years. Two years and two months, to be exact. We don't know yet what hidden gems he might uncover for 2013.

I do think it's a bit of a disappointment that he hasn't found one or two more so far. And a lot of attempts at that seem to have failed (Emaus, Hu, Beato, Torres & Ramirez, Byrdak, Carrasco). I guess the silver lining is it's doubtful one or two such players would have really made much difference in 2011-2012 anyway.

As the young talent starts to develop though, it's going to be much more critical that he get more of those moves right. The one thing he's done well so far is to not make any major mistakes that would handicap the team going forward. But with a group of young players now ready to contribute, it's now going to be more critical that he is able to add productive outside talent to fill in the gaps.

Still, I think the number of guys on the roster who were here prior to Sandy is more of a positive than a negative. It shows he's not knee-jerk cleaning house, and that he's giving young players a chance. I like his patience in letting our young players develop. I like that he doesn't care if some were guys brought in by Omar. I like that he doesn't make moves just for the sake of making moves. I like that he understands that players younger than 27 tend to get better, and players older than 30 tend to get worse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    Well Sandy hasn't done a lot yet, but he has also only been here two years. Two years and two months, to be exact. We don't know yet what hidden gems he might uncover for 2013.

I do think it's a bit of a disappointment that he hasn't found one or two more so far. And a lot of attempts at that seem to have failed (Emaus, Hu, Beato, Torres & Ramirez, Byrdak, Carrasco). I guess the silver lining is it's doubtful one or two such players would have really made much difference in 2011-2012 anyway.

As the young talent starts to develop though, it's going to be much more critical that he get more of those moves right. The one thing he's done well so far is to not make any major mistakes that would handicap the team going forward. But with a group of young players now ready to contribute, it's now going to be more critical that he is able to add productive outside talent to fill in the gaps.

Still, I think the number of guys on the roster who were here prior to Sandy is more of a positive than a negative. It shows he's not knee-jerk cleaning house, and that he's giving young players a chance. I like his patience in letting our young players develop. I like that he doesn't care if some were guys brought in by Omar. I like that he doesn't make moves just for the sake of making moves. I like that he understands that players younger than 27 tend to get better, and players older than 30 tend to get worse.
    Yes, being younger as a team is a great way to build a foundation for years. Then veterans can be added to the club to make the team a winner, but we are not there yet because our core is not established.

vCash
    I dont understand the blame Sandy gets on here. You think he likes being a broke GM with no money to play with?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waveycrockett View Post
    I dont understand the blame Sandy gets on here. You think he likes being a broke GM with no money to play with?
    Angry sports fans often lack patience, emotional maturity, and objectivity.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Sandy deserves little to no blame, but the Wilpons are another story.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I will say that there have been 3 guys that he has brought in that have done well and that is Hairston, Byrdak and Baxter.
    That's not enough. They are role players really.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Exactly.

Judging them on hidden gems is unfair as well. Do you think Omar knew he was signing a Cy Young winner when he signed Dickey to a minor league contract? He just got lucky. Chavez and Valentin were quality pick-ups, but mostly for just one year.

Things will be looking up imo by 2014. We should get better and better from that point.

Why is it unfair? it just means he can spot talent. Something SA has completely failed to do.

The Alderson guy has completely entranced you all it seems to me, criticisms that were aimed at Omar, now can't be aimed at SA, Omar finds CY Young winners and can't be credited for it, because it makes SA looks bad.

He's turned older expensive proven blue chippers into younger cheaper unproven clue chippers.

That's it. In 3 years.

A monkey can cut payroll, and BS the fan base about not punting every year whilst doing nothing to improve the team. Alderson is a PR man, anyone can see that, that's why he needs 3 GM's in the background, and he STILL can't come up with anything.

His FA signings have been lousy, his trades for current players have been terrible as well. People have said that Omar had money to spend on people like Beltran, but SA doesn't like those deals so who would he have signed anyway?

He did sign DW, but he's completely different kettle of fish to a FA. This is the teams best ever player.

The prospects he has got us, are as a direct result of the actions of Omar Minaya, he signed Beltran, and more crucially and tellingly, he found RA Dickey -future CY award winner, in the trash.

vCash
    Angry sports fans often lack patience, emotional maturity, and objectivity...
    ...while others lack basic skepticism and a critical eye.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Yup. Patience especially. When things get quiet, like they've been for the Metsies since the Dickey trade, it usually means something big is on the verge of happening.

My feeling is that Sandy probably has a few deals in place and is just waiting to strike when the moment is right. It could be we are just waiting for a few free agents to move off the board and then BAM! I wouldn't be surprised if a multi-player deal is in place that might change the look of the 9 men on the field.

Let's go, Mets, in 2013 and beyond! YOU REALLY, TRULY, GOTTA BELIEVE!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    http://blog.nj.com/mets/2012/12/post_14.html

Oh BTW I have become numb to all this

...but cue in the apologists and haters in 3...2...1
    He's a fan blogger.

It's like linking to "bleacher report". This isn't Andy McCollough from the Star Ledger.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgometsgo View Post
    Yup. Patience especially. When things get quiet, like they've been for the Metsies since the Dickey trade, it usually means something big is on the verge of happening.

My feeling is that Sandy probably has a few deals in place and is just waiting to strike when the moment is right. It could be we are just waiting for a few free agents to move off the board and then BAM! I wouldn't be surprised if a multi-player deal is in place that might change the look of the 9 men on the field.

Let's go, Mets, in 2013 and beyond! YOU REALLY, TRULY, GOTTA BELIEVE!
    I don't know why, but it does seem like something like this is brewing.

It's quiet out there…too quiet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    I don't know why, but it does seem like something like this is brewing.

It's quiet out there…too quiet.
    it's called wishful thinking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    it's called wishful thinking.
    Maybe partly that.

Maybe because I find it hard to believe we will open the season with the OFers currently n the roster.

Something has to happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    Maybe partly that.

Maybe because I find it hard to believe we will open the season with the OFers currently n the roster.

Something has to happen.
    The only way we're going to upgrade in the OF is if Sandy decides to trade inexpensive prospects for expensive major leaguers. Anyone in here see that happening any time soon?

Geez, Scott Hairston priced himself off our market for crissakes.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast