Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which team should I support?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Titans. They've been your team for 15 years and you can't jump ship now.

26 55.32%
  • Texans. It makes no sense not to be a fan of the team next door.

13 27.66%
  • Try your best to root for both.

8 17.02%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

At a crossroads of my fandom: Titans or Texans

So, I doubt many people will pay attention to this given that the playoffs begin today and there are a dozen other things more worthy of being discussed. But I've been battling with something the last couple of years, and I wanted to see what other NFL fans thought.

To give everyone some background, I'm a Titans fan who has lived in in the Houston area pretty much my whole life. I was like 9-10 years old when the Oilers left for Tennessee and I've been a Titans fan ever since. When the Texans came here, I stuck with the Titans because I had an attachment to those players, to Jeff Fisher and to that franchise. I had witnessed the Music City Miracle and the one-yard Super Bowl loss and those moments meant something to me. And they still do.

But over the last two years, Jeff Fisher was fired and replaced with an inferior coach in Mike Munchak. There are no more players around from the Titans teams I loved from the early 2000s, I absolutely loathe Bud Adams with a passion, the front office has been completely incompetent over the last few seasons and this team has absolutely zero identity.

Meanwhile, my entire family and all of my friends and coworkers are Texans fans. I love sports talk radio and listen to Texans talk at least an hour or two every day to and from work. And I have grown a lot of respect for the Texans organization, its players, its staff and its fans. More respect probably than I have for my own team. It's gotten to the point where I care more about fantasy football every Sunday than I do the outcome of Titans games.

(Also, I'm a diehard Rockets and Astros fan, so there's that.)

Basically, I'm at a bit of a crossroads. On one hand is the franchise I've known and loved for 15 years, but it's becoming harder and harder to care about them. On the other hand is the franchise next door that is becoming increasingly more popular and it would be much easier to cheer for. Also, my father is a huge Texans fan, and it would be awesome to cheer for the same team as him again.

So, what does everyone think? Am I overthinking this? Am I horrible fan or should I just embrace the local team? And if I jump ship now, does that make me a bandwagon fan?

vCash
    That's really rough because they are in the same division.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haggis View Post
    That's really rough because they are in the same division.
    Exactly. And it's been relatively easy to follow both for the first decade of the Texans organization because the Texans were awful when the Titans were good and now they've switched. But that can't last forever and I can't feasibly root for both teams when they play each other with playoff positioning is on the line.

vCash
    give it all up and switch to supporting beach volleyball
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Stick with your team. Changing teams is weak sauce. I've been a lions fan since I started watching football, if I can stick it out through the Millen era I think you'll be ok.
    2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Golden Tate

vCash
    I think you should stick with the Titans. They've been your team your whole life and you've lived and died with them year in year out. Teams go through dry spells, they'll be back in the playoffs eventually.

I understand why you are struggling though, this is a pretty unique situation.

vCash
    Can I jump ship from Dallas to San Diego?

vCash
    Gotta stick with the Titans imo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMetros View Post
    I think you should stick with the Titans. They've been your team your whole life and you've lived and died with them year in year out. Teams go through dry spells, they'll be back in the playoffs eventually.
    I get that, but it's not that they're bad, you know? I don't care that they're awful. I care that it's hard to be a fan of a team that's like 12 hours away that I have no real connection to anymore. If I cared that much about whether my teams were good or bad, I wouldn't be such a diehard Astros and Rockets fan.

Admittedly, if the Titans were better, it would be easier to stick with them. But even when they were 9-7 last year I still really struggled with this. I think it has more to do with proximity and the fact that my friends and family are all Texans fans.

vCash
    Buy every teams jersey and whoever scores the most points that week root for them

vCash
    stick with the titans
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SACNYY View Post
    Can I jump ship from Dallas to San Diego?
    Wouldn't the purpose be to upgrade?
    To some, he was just a boy. A boy who played football, a football player that grew to be a man. A man that took over a city, a city that he made his own, a city that stands behind him in hopes of becoming one of that cities all-time greats. To some, 2013 was a fluke. To some, he can't do it again. To some, he got lucky.

To us though, to the Philly faithful, that QB is Nick Foles. To us, that's our QB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I get that, but it's not that they're bad, you know? I don't care that they're awful. I care that it's hard to be a fan of a team that's like 12 hours away that I have no real connection to anymore. If I cared that much about whether my teams were good or bad, I wouldn't be such a diehard Astros and Rockets fan.

Admittedly, if the Titans were better, it would be easier to stick with them. But even when they were 9-7 last year I still really struggled with this. I think it has more to do with proximity and the fact that my friends and family are all Texans fans.
    LOL my family and most friends are all Bears fans except my cousin who is a Pats fan LMFAO. Who cares

vCash
    You should stick with the Titans. They're your team and I believe they'll turn it around in the next couple years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Wouldn't the purpose be to upgrade?
    I would never switch, just SD is my home team kinda lol.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast