Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

BREAK NEWS: Obama, Congress fail to reach fiscal cliff deal

http://news.yahoo.com/house-wont-vot...-politics.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — The House will miss the midnight Monday deadline lawmakers set for voting to avoid the "fiscal cliff."

House Republicans notified lawmakers that the chamber will vote Monday evening on other bills. They say that will be their only votes of the day.
    President Barack Obama and Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell said Monday they are near a deal to avoid wide-ranging tax increases and spending cuts — the fiscal cliff — that take effect with the new year.
    Both men said they were still bargaining over whether — and how — to avoid $109 billion in cuts to defense and domestic programs that take effect on Wednesday.

It remained unclear whether the Senate would vote Monday.
    Congress could pass later legislation retroactively blocking the tax hikes and spending cuts.
    looks like we're all screwed. thank you self-serving politicians. the whole "fiscal cliff" crisis is ******** anyways. it's self imposed. Congress literally created this whole crisis out of thin air last year to "force" themselves to come to an agreement on the budget this year when they failed to come into agreement last year. they could have easily unimpose this on us if they want to. if Congress never created this made up crisis last year, we wouldn't have to deal with it this year...

without this little creation of Congress, there's no actual economic repercussion we would've incurred if Congress didn't come into an agreement this year. this is all a political theatrics that gone too far. Seriously, this has to be the first time in the history OF THE WORLD that a country's leader purposely and knowingly shoot themselves in the foot and doom the country at the same time. Usually, when a country gets screwed over, its due to uncontrollable forces either within and/or outside the country...NO leader(s) in history have willingly walked off the plank like our oh-so-great leaders in Congress. This whole manufactured crisis adds a whole new meaning to being "destroyed from the inside." i can't think of a bigger "wtf" moment in the history of ANY country.
    Last edited by FOBolous; 12-31-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies

I already have that scrizzguap on the Dubs winning a 'ship.
    Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

vCash
    you mean politicians failed to come to a compromise?

at least the milk thing got an extension
    2014 Adopt-a-Packer: Micah Hyde

vCash
    But they all agreed upon giving themselves a raise last week. This country sucks ***....
    Last edited by steelcityroller; 12-31-2012 at 04:57 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    But they all agreed upon giving themselves a raise last week.
    THIS is why our country is screwed up. because we're backwards. people get rewarded for failure in all levels of society ranging from lazy people living off of welfare to CEOs of troubled/bankrupted/struggling companies getting "retention raises/packages/pay/bonuses" to our leaders in Congress who pats on themselves on the back for doing nothing by giving themselves raises.
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies

I already have that scrizzguap on the Dubs winning a 'ship.
    Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FOBolous View Post
    THIS is why our country is screwed up. because we're backwards. people get rewarded for failure in all levels of society ranging from lazy people living off of welfare to CEOs of troubled/bankrupted/struggling companies getting "retention raises/packages/pay/bonuses" to our leaders in Congress who pats on themselves on the back for doing nothing by giving themselves raises.
    x2

A system that penalizes success and rewards failure is one that cannot work long term.
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    But they all agreed upon giving themselves a raise last week. This country sucks ***....
    murica!

vCash
    I think the raises was an executive order by Obama, which means that it wasn't voted on.

Rob Portman posted on facebook "I am calling on President Obama to withdraw his recent Executive Order raising federal salaries -- including for Members of Congress. Until a long-term deficit reduction agreement is reached, we should not consider increasing the pay for Congress."

republican or democrat, I think we could all agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    I think the raises was an executive order by Obama, which means that it wasn't voted on.

Rob Portman posted on facebook "I am calling on President Obama to withdraw his recent Executive Order raising federal salaries -- including for Members of Congress. Until a long-term deficit reduction agreement is reached, we should not consider increasing the pay for Congress."

republican or democrat, I think we could all agree.
    Although I don't like the idea of the payraise for those lawmakers, I don't agree that current lawmakers need to make an agreement for long-term deficit reduction, because the deficit is not a problem.

And any "deal" made by both parties (who are in essence just two factions of the same party) would mean cuts to social spending (Social Security and Medicare). That is a big no-no. The population does not want those programs to experience cuts. If there is any "deficit reduction", then it's the population who will suffer, not the 1%.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    Although I don't like the idea of the payraise for those lawmakers, I don't agree that current lawmakers need to make an agreement for long-term deficit reduction, because the deficit is not a problem.

And any "deal" made by both parties (who are in essence just two factions of the same party) would mean cuts to social spending (Social Security and Medicare). That is a big no-no. The population does not want those programs to experience cuts. If there is any "deficit reduction", then it's the population who will suffer, not the 1%.
    Totally agree with the bolded above.

I would imagine that 'Federal salaries' includes more than just members of Congress. I would specifically deny raises - hell, I'd cut the bastards - to any members of Congress, until such time as they demonstrate some sense of public responsibility. If word of the last minute deal is true, the Republitards (I use the term advisedly, you know who they are) were just playing chicken with the POTUS again.

To anyone looking on from the other side of the pond, it is beyond incomprehensible that extreme right wing conservatives can literally hold the country to ransom to try and push an agenda that is not only unfair, unreasonable and immoral - to cut social services while maintaining tax benefits for the very rich and for corporations, and while maintaining an obscene 'defense' budget - an agenda that was defeated at the recent election. This means that a majority of those who voted rejected the plans the Republitards have been trying to push.

The 'defense' budget stands at around 700 billion. The US Air Force has nearly 6000 planes of all kinds! The Army has over 6000 M1 battle tanks! What. The. ****????? What do we need 6000 tanks for, and why does Congress vote for funds for more tanks when even the Pentagon says that they don't need any more. What. The ****????

And nobody dares say a word about cutting defense, because then you'd be accused of being un-American, of risking the safety of the country, etc. We could happily make do with a quarter of what we've got now, and even that would be overkill. That would 'save' a trillion in no time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post

how is the deficit not a problem? they have an obligation to balance their budget.

and there has to be some kind of entitlement reform. it's 70% of the federal budget. I would actually disagree and I think that most people agree that there has to be some kind of entitlement reform.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    how is the deficit not a problem? they have an obligation to balance their budget.

and there has to be some kind of entitlement reform. it's 70% of the federal budget. I would actually disagree and I think that most people agree that there has to be some kind of entitlement reform.
    The deficit isn't a problem because we hold most of our own debt, and the rate for 10 year bonds are at all time lows. Markets don't believe the deficit and debt are a problem, otherwise they wouldn't be pouring in large amounts of their own money into treasuries and bonds the way they are, while accepting small returns in exchange for safety.

If the deficit were an actual problem, markets would leave those long term bonds and treasuries, and the rate would jump much higher. Markets don't believe the debt and deficits are a problem.

And Social Security is a small part of the budget. There are no problems there. In fact, back in the 80's, Social Security had bigger problems, and they were fixed without any issues. Social Security is one of the most successful programs in the history of the United States.

Now Medicare is putting a ton of drag on the budget for the very long term (if trends continue), but that's not the fault of medicare (the concept of the government paying for a needy person's health), as it's the fact that we have a terrible privately-owned-publicly-subsidized healthcare system that allows private industry to exploit everything to overcharge for medicine. I'll take Pfizer for example. They are given government protected patents that allow them to overcharge for medicine. They make pills that they charge for hundreds, if not, thousands of dollars. Due to the government given patents, no one else is allowed to make and sell those pills. If generics were allowed, those pills would probably just cost a few bucks. But since Pfizer has government patents, generics are illegal, and they can overcharge for the pill since they know the government will pay the bill, and thanks to government protection, no one else is allowed to make such a pill.

It's really a system that allows private institutions to leech off of public tax dollars, and that is what could cause any long term problems. In fact, if the U.S. had a health system like any other industrialized country in the world, we wouldn't have a deficit, but we'd have a surplus. Here is an excellent calculator that can give you the exact numbers if you wanted to test with different countries systems:

http://www.cepr.net/calculators/hc/hc-calculator.html

So there exists no need to cut social programs (or "entitlements" as they're referred to). BUT there is a need to move away from the current health system of private industry leeching off of public tax money, and move into a health system that is like any other industrialized countries in the world.

vCash
    I think the game Civilization said it best. 'It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.'

vCash
    they can always do something later, and I'm sure they will. this whole thing was a made up crisis anyway.

vCash
    As long it's finished by tax time it's not a HUGE deal but who knows if that will even get done

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    As long it's finished by tax time it's not a HUGE deal but who knows if that will even get done
    I believe they can do it next year and then have it applied to January 1st.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast