Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    You don't know who Felix Hernandez is ?
    Kershaw? Verlander?
    #Joc2LA

vCash
    Theyre the same thing. people say an ace is a type of pitcher, not just where a pitcher is in the rotation. I agree, but I think a #1 SP is the same. An ace a pitcher that basically everyone agrees is a #1 caliber starting pitcher. A #1 SP is a pitcher that basically everyone agrees is a #1 starting pitcher.

Someone brought up Bud Norris. He's the best starter on the Astros, so he's their #1, but he's not a "#1 SP" and not an "Ace"

I use them as the same thing. If a team's #1 pitcher is not an ace, then they are using a #2 or #3 starting pitcher as their #1 starting pitcher, or ace, but the pitcher himself is not one.

IDK if it's confusing.

Basically, Ace and #1 SP are synonyms in my book, and they don't define a pitcher's spot in the rotation, but rather how good he is. In the same mindset, just because apitcher leads off someone's rotation, they are not automatically an ace. Once again, it depends how good they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    roy halladay vs shaun marcum

an ace and a number 1 option
    Blue Jays 2013 world champs, just watch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    Theyre the same thing. people say an ace is a type of pitcher, not just where a pitcher is in the rotation. I agree, but I think a #1 SP is the same. An ace a pitcher that basically everyone agrees is a #1 caliber starting pitcher. A #1 SP is a pitcher that basically everyone agrees is a #1 starting pitcher.

Someone brought up Bud Norris. He's the best starter on the Astros, so he's their #1, but he's not a "#1 SP" and not an "Ace"

I use them as the same thing. If a team's #1 pitcher is not an ace, then they are using a #2 or #3 starting pitcher as their #1 starting pitcher, or ace, but the pitcher himself is not one.

IDK if it's confusing.

Basically, Ace and #1 SP are synonyms in my book, and they don't define a pitcher's spot in the rotation, but rather how good he is. In the same mindset, just because a pitcher leads off someone's rotation, they are not automatically an ace. Once again, it depends how good they are.
    thats the difference right there
    Blue Jays 2013 world champs, just watch

vCash
    An ace is defined as the #1 pitcher on a team. There's zero difference between the 2 terms.

vCash
    Is Halladay still an ace? What about Josh Johnson?

IMO Halladay is. I think if JJ can stay healthy then we havent seen the best of him yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    A #1 pitcher is not the first pitcher of the pitching staff, he is among the Top 5-10 elite pitchers in the league.
    That makes no sense to me. Every team has five starters, and they are referred to by number - the #1, the #5, etc. Why would there be just 5-10 #1's, and why in the world would they be called #1's when they are very often better than the #1 pitcher on most staffs?

vCash
    a number one is simply that, the number on pitcher on a pitching staff. an ace is a measure of talent. so not all number 1s are aces, and not all aces are number 1s
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    a number one is simply that, the number on pitcher on a pitching staff. an ace is a measure of talent. so not all number 1s are aces, and not all aces are number 1s
    except by definition, they are.

I have no idea why people have interpreted what the word ace means as their own set definitions.

We have had these discussions before, and I have seen several parameters that define an ace to different posters. It's nothing but people either making up their own interpretation of the definition or hearing it from someone else and going with it.

Every team has one ace. The ace of their pitching staff. Cole Hamels isn't an ace, and Bud Norris is. It doesn't mean Bud Norris is better than Cole Hamels. It's just what the word ace means. Use a different word if you want to describe an elite pitcher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    except by definition, they are.

I have no idea why people have interpreted what the word ace means as their own set definitions.

We have had these discussions before, and I have seen several parameters that define an ace to different posters. It's nothing but people either making up their own interpretation of the definition or hearing it from someone else and going with it.

Every team has one ace. The ace of their pitching staff. Cole Hamels isn't an ace, and Bud Norris is. It doesn't mean Bud Norris is better than Cole Hamels. It's just what the word ace means. Use a different word if you want to describe an elite pitcher.

no eveyr team has a number one starter, the starter at the top of their rotation. that is not what ace means anymore. bud norris is a number 1, cole hamels is an ace
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    no eveyr team has a number one starter, the starter at the top of their rotation. that is not what ace means anymore. bud norris is a number 1, cole hamels is an ace
    The ace is the number one starter on a teams pitching staff. Yes, every team has an ace. It is their ace, to them.

Meriam-Webster

Ace
    b : the best pitcher on a baseball team <the ace of the staff>
    Again, no idea why people are making up their own interpretations of what the word ace means. This is the very literal definition. Bud Norris is the ace of the Houston Astros (or Lucas Harrell) and Cole Hamels is not the ace of the Phillies.

Use a different word if you want to describe a pitcher as one of the best pitchers in the game.

vCash
    I've never bothered to look it up, as Jeffy25 has done, but in the context of conversations, professional broadcasts and articles written about the sport, I've almost always seen it used as a term to describe the quality of the pitcher, not the position within the staff he currently is slotted into.

I'm not saying you're wrong, Jeffy25. It may indeed originally be meant to describe the individual who is currently the best within a group of 5. It seems nowadays that most people realize that those staffs change so much and that the term probably is best suited to represent the top 30 pitchers in baseball, rather than the 30 best within specific groups of 5.

vCash
    So much arguing over semantics. lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nirvana235 View Post
    Has anyone actually been offended in any way? I was under the impression most people in this relatively short thread were simply having a discussion, not a heated argument.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nirvana235 View Post
    It's very literally what the thread question is asking.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast