Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Defensive rotation or lack of quality front-court to blame for rebound woes?

Two things are guaranteed when Miami plays a team with quality or average big man; one they get out-rebounded, and two, Chris Bosh become perimeter oriented.

We can make all the excuses we want about Chris Bosh but it is becoming common place to always find either Mario Chalmers or even Ray Allen boxing out the other team's PF or C when they shoot the ball while for some reason, Chris Bosh and UD are usually no where close. Even though I have seen many games where other players (even shorter ones) basically grab the ball over Chris Bosh in the low post area.

Spo's defense calls for our front-court to rotate out and help but in many cases before they make it back teams shoot with the knowledge that they have the advantage on rebounds if they miss.

Am I wrong to think our defensive rotation is basically making our front-court incapable of grabbing rebounds? Could it be because we have soft front-court or do you have any other assessment? I will like to hear what you guys think is contributing to the Heat's rebound woes.

vCash

Defensive rotation or lack of quality front-court to blame for rebound woes?

Defensive rotations have a lot to do with it, but that doesn't take away from the fact that we aren't the biggest team (that's taking it lightly) and that there are games where we just refuse to box out or put forth the effort necessary.

Utah sports one of the biggest front courts in the league, yet we out rebounded them in a game without our tallest player (Bosh). We started Haslem at C and Battier at PF. Granted its just one game, but that particular contest highlights the fact that rebounding is about energy, heart, and hustle. Personnel plays a role, but its not the biggest factor.....

vCash
    A little bit of both, Our defense rotations obviously affects the rebounding like OP said, as it forces our big men to dash to the perimeter and gives the other team easy rebounds. But then again, getting a quality front quart player (who has size) and rebounds might allow us to change the rotations up a bit. Should be a year of ups and downs until we make a change for the better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteBO View Post
    Defensive rotations have a lot to do with it, but that doesn't take away from the fact that we aren't the biggest team (that's taking it lightly) and that there are games where we just refuse to box out or put forth the effort necessary.

Utah sports one of the biggest front courts in the league, yet we out rebounded them in a game without our tallest player (Bosh). We started Haslem at C and Battier at PF. Granted its just one game, but that particular contest highlights the fact that rebounding is about energy, heart, and hustle. Personnel plays a role, but its not the biggest factor.....
    I agree with most of what you said but I think our defensive rotation is good against some teams, not all teams. We can't keep playing teams with great shooters (NY Knicks, Clippers), great low post teams (Memphis, Lakers) and slashing/shooting teams (Thunder) all the same way. Our coach needs to evolv to the point of developing different defensive game plans for different teams or else the Knicks will bounce us out of the play-offs now that they have a great facilitator in Kidd who is smart and slow enough to exploit the way we play defense...if we keep playing this defensive rotation. You can only stop the Knicks with one on one defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy2maHeat View Post
    I agree with most of what you said but I think our defensive rotation is good against some teams, not all teams. We can't keep playing teams with great shooters (NY Knicks, Clippers), great low post teams (Memphis, Lakers) and slashing/shooting teams (Thunder) all the same way. Our coach needs to evolv to the point of developing different defensive game plans for different teams or else the Knicks will bounce us out of the play-offs now that they have a great facilitator in Kidd who is smart and slow enough to exploit the way we play defense...if we keep playing this defensive rotation. You can only stop the Knicks with one on one defense.
    Well based on how we've lost both games to the Knicks this year, it really came down to them moving the ball really well and shooting a combined 36-80 from the 3pt line. Alot of their makes were uncontested, which is where being more determined to rotate to their shooters quickly and force them out of their comfort zone comes into play. These are things we failed to do in the first two games....and as a result got blown out.

It's interesting you bring up the Lakers and Grizz, because out of all the teams I feel like would give us more problems in a Finals matchup should it come to fruit, it's the Lakers that worry me more. I really like what the Grizz do, but Z-Bo and Marc aren't guys that are going to carry a team over the long haul of any season, and LBJ over a seven game series I think would have his way with Rudy Gay. Mike Conley is a whole other issue....I find the Clippers formidable too, but for some reason I just don't trust them and I think it has a lot to do with their half court offense. All these things can play to our advantage, so while I agree that adjusting a tad might be a good route to take, but I think the foundation we've set here is a very effective one. 3pt shots as a whole are the lowest % shots you have in the NBA. To be honest, I'd much rather give those up then inside scores.......keeping teams on the perimeter is a recipe for success over a 7 game series.
    Last edited by SteBO; 01-01-2013 at 10:40 PM.