Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 651
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    7,255
    vCash
    1500
    no damn hue
    HAWKS 13 -- 14 PREMIERS




    "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,456
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by The1_Who_knocks View Post
    Hue Jackson!
    First of all, he's in the playoffs so we can't talk with him.

    Second, I don't know if he would consider coming back after being fired.

    I would absolutely be in favor of Hue Jackson returning as an OC, but I just don't see it happening.

    So, Norv Turner would be my choice.

    For some reason, the idea of Dan Reeves made me chuckle.
    Last edited by NavajoRaiderfan; 01-01-2013 at 08:34 PM.

    "Just Win Baby!"

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    522
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by the_firm_09 View Post
    I only respect the move under 1 condition, this isn`t an excuse to keep `Carson 3 and out` in town. He`s also a major part of the problem and If Allen isn`t careful, Palmer will get Allen fired at the end of 2013 without doubt.

    This is where we`ll see if Allen is brain dead or ready to rock n roll.
    Right, because its Palmer's fault that of those three plays two are runs that go for negative yardage putting Palmer in 3rd and long to go with receivers who can't catch and line that fails to pick up pressure as the defense pins it's ears back.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    9,910
    vCash
    1500
    I'll say this much about guys like Norv and Chan Gailey. These are guys for whom the writing is on the wall. They're not young and ambitiously gunning for their first head coaching job. They're not trying to be the next big anything. They're not in the same class as guys like Reid, or Holmgren, or even Lovie Smith -- guys that you know will ONLY be considered as a head coach or head coach/gm hire. The Turners and Gaileys of the world dare not entertain such hopes. Not now. The history speaks for itself. They know what they are: good offensive minds. It's possible they could bring a very balanced perspective to team leadership.
    "The United States military doesn't DO pin pricks." ~ President Barack Obama.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,097
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    I'll say this much about guys like Norv and Chan Gailey. These are guys for whom the writing is on the wall. They're not young and ambitiously gunning for their first head coaching job. They're not trying to be the next big anything. They're not in the same class as guys like Reid, or Holmgren, or even Lovie Smith -- guys that you know will ONLY be considered as a head coach or head coach/gm hire. The Turners and Gaileys of the world dare not entertain such hopes. Not now. The history speaks for itself. They know what they are: good offensive minds. It's possible they could bring a very balanced perspective to team leadership.
    Grabbing a veteran HC is the best way to go for OC. There is a reason these guys got HC jobs, because they were extremely successful as OC's. They jsut cannot cut it as HC's for some reason. Hue is a perfect example of that. Had we kept Cable, we would've gone to the playoffs with him making the decisions not Hue.

    There are plenty of examples of this on both sides of the ball. Guy's that loose their HC jobs, and fall back into coordinator positions and are extremely successful. Wouldn't you want Mike Nolan as DC or Wade Phillips?

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3
    vCash
    1500
    Why not promote Al Saunders... One he is familiar with our players strengths and weaknesses... Two it was stupid to change Offensive Philosophy after such a great year... One question,... WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT NORV TURNER?... YOU MEAN OUR FORMER HEAD COACH IS COMING BACK TO BE OUR OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR.. "WHERE THEY DO DAT AT?"

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,097
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider'85 View Post
    Why not promote Al Saunders... One he is familiar with our players strengths and weaknesses... Two it was stupid to change Offensive Philosophy after such a great year... One question,... WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT NORV TURNER?... YOU MEAN OUR FORMER HEAD COACH IS COMING BACK TO BE OUR OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR.. "WHERE THEY DO DAT AT?"
    Not a fan of Saunders


    Norv is a genius OC, but yeah...I see no reason to speculate him coming back lol

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,097
    vCash
    1500
    I think we should get Kyle Shannahan

    LOL

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    9,910
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fishedz View Post
    Grabbing a veteran HC is the best way to go for OC. There is a reason these guys got HC jobs, because they were extremely successful as OC's. They jsut cannot cut it as HC's for some reason. Hue is a perfect example of that. Had we kept Cable, we would've gone to the playoffs with him making the decisions not Hue.

    There are plenty of examples of this on both sides of the ball. Guy's that loose their HC jobs, and fall back into coordinator positions and are extremely successful. Wouldn't you want Mike Nolan as DC or Wade Phillips?
    I have every confidence in Tarver, but wouldn't mind Nolan or the aforementioned Lovie Smith...among a few other guys...as the DC, if Tarver wasn't here.

    Ultimately, though, the problem our defense has is on the personnel side. Moreso than the scheme. We need some playmakers on that side of the ball in the worst way. Too few take aways, too few sacks, too few tackles behind the line of scrimmage, too few 3 and outs.
    "The United States military doesn't DO pin pricks." ~ President Barack Obama.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,097
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    I have every confidence in Tarver, but wouldn't mind Nolan or the aforementioned Lovie Smith...among a few other guys...as the DC, if Tarver wasn't here.

    Ultimately, though, the problem our defense has is on the personnel side. Moreso than the scheme. We need some playmakers on that side of the ball in the worst way. Too few take aways, too few sacks, too few tackles behind the line of scrimmage, too few 3 and outs.
    Sorry, I should've clarified...


    Those were examples of former HC's who went back to being coordinators and are extremely successful. I want Tarver here. This is just an example to give reasoning behind my suggestion we should hire a former HC as OC.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    9,910
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider'85 View Post
    Why not promote Al Saunders... One he is familiar with our players strengths and weaknesses... Two it was stupid to change Offensive Philosophy after such a great year... One question,... WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT NORV TURNER?... YOU MEAN OUR FORMER HEAD COACH IS COMING BACK TO BE OUR OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR.. "WHERE THEY DO DAT AT?"
    Relax, everyone is just speculating on the options and voicing their opinions.

    It isn't uncommon, as others have said, for former head coaches to assume lesser roles as coordinators and be very effective. The "where" really doesn't matter, given the amount of time that has elapsed.

    We only currently have 3* players that were on our roster back when Norv was the head coach. None of them play offense and two of them may be gone by the time the 2013 season starts. There is no risk of Norv feeling like a retread, or his message being lost, if he did come back. He'd be preaching to a whole new choir.

    On a sidenote, another name comes to mind: Marc Trestman. But then again, his name always pops up around this time of year, every year.

    *For the record, those players are Tommy Kelly (possibly gone), Lechler (all but gone), and Seabass (stay).
    "The United States military doesn't DO pin pricks." ~ President Barack Obama.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,097
    vCash
    1500
    Please don't mention Marc Trestman's name...it's bad luck


    He's worse then Knapp....

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    9,910
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fishedz View Post
    Please don't mention Marc Trestman's name...it's bad luck


    He's worse then Knapp....
    Trestman was more successful than Knapp. He's also successful in his current endeavors, which is why his name has been mentioned around the league on Black Monday.
    "The United States military doesn't DO pin pricks." ~ President Barack Obama.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,097
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    Trestman was more successful than Knapp. He's also successful in his current endeavors, which is why his name has been mentioned around the league on Black Monday.
    That dude is a terrible OC. He doesn't run...at all. He ruined SF and his only success in te NFL with us had nothing to do with him. Sorry bro, but there is a reason he isn't in the NFL.....

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    9,910
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fishedz View Post
    That dude is a terrible OC. He doesn't run...at all. He ruined SF and his only success in te NFL with us had nothing to do with him.
    If Trestman only had success in SF, I might agree with you. But clearly he had success on numerous teams and with a number of players.

    You incorrectly conclude that such success had "nothing to do with him." On the contrary, when such bawdy numbers become routine, you can only credit deliberate input from Trestman for that success. Give credit where credit is due.

    The year that he was with the Niners they led the league in points scored and passing yards.

    His tenure with Cleveland led to Bernie Kosar having a career year. Webster Slaughter earned the franchise record at the time in receptions yards with 1200+ yards.

    His time with Detroit resulted in Scott Mitchell having the second most passing yards in team history. Yes, that Scott Mitchell.

    His work with Jake Plummer in AZ resulted in the QB passing for almost 3800 yards, which for the time (and the player) was extremely noteworthy.

    And do we need to discuss what Trestman helped the Raiders accomplish during his time here? Gannon doesn't get the MVP that year without Trestman's input. Our offense hasn't been that consistently potent ever.

    And these weren't empty achievements of the kind that you saw from Palmer and Stafford this year, i.e., obscene passing yardage gained as a result of playing largely from behind. In losing efforts it's not uncommon for QBs to rack up yards simply trying to get back into the game. Most of Trestman's above achievements resulted in playoff appearances by those teams.


    Sorry bro, but there is a reason he isn't in the NFL.....
    There are many reasons why former NFL coaches turn to the CFL. I'm not going to begrudge a man for putting food on his family's table. Especially since he went there and won a title.

    But to your point, maybe he didn't run the ball enough. Well, more the better (!!!), since the current meme of the league is pass, pass, pass...and then pass some more. This might be the most ideal time of any for Trestman to get back in the league. I'm guessing that whatever team acquires his services will experience a passing Renaissance.

    I'm not championing the guy, simply pointing out that he's no Knapp. I still remember vividly several attempts this season by Knapp to use the pass to set up the run. Complete, utter, abject failure. Trestman's offenses never had that problem. Just ask Charlie Garner. Or Steve Young.
    "The United States military doesn't DO pin pricks." ~ President Barack Obama.

Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •