Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    I know there was a decent amount of "look out for this guy" around the webz and you yourself were saying it. He seems to have more base stealing ability than Brown though and maybe slightly less power.

It's just nice to see some bats coming alive in the minors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

I've been following Altherr for a couple years now. His minor numbers have been disappointing over the last few years, as he does have the tools to be a major league player down the road. This seems to finally be the year that he is "putting it together" so to say.

I'm inclined to wait another month or so before I make a judgement call if this is for real or not. I'd lean more towards this being a legit breakout, unlike the fools gold that Hewitt hands out every April like candy.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Another guy to watch:

Aaron Altherr (still only 22)

92 ABs .348/.413/.576 3 HRs 6 for 6 in SB.

in 420 ABs last season he hit 8 HR
    in 416 ABs in 2011 he hit 6 HR.

He has 3 so far. Would be nice to see him develop his power potential. He should be moved up to AA some time this season.
    A week later:

122 ABs .336/.394/.582 4 HR 8 for 8 in SB.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Clearwater Threshers- Florida State League North Division…14-15, 4th place… 3-3 for the week… Clearwater is a proving to be an offensive power in the FSL league… They lead the FSL with 299 hits and 66 doubles… OF Aaron Altherr, 3B Maikel Franco & OF Cameron Perkins are tied for the FSL lead in doubles with 13… Franco hit .360 (9-25), HR, 2 2B for the week, leads the organization in HR (6) and RBI (27), and is currently riding a seven-game hit streak…. OF Cameron Perkins is excelling after a change from 3B to OF and jumping from Williamsport to CLR… Perkins batted .360 (9-for-25) 7 R, 4 2B, HR for the week… 1B Chris Serritella hit .308 (8-26), HR, 2B, 4 RBI… RHP Gabriel Arias was great in two starts going 1-0, 0.75 ERA (1 ER, 12.0 IP) with 9 SO… RHP Perci Garner made one start going 7.0 innings, allowing one run… RHP Mike Nesseth made two scoreless appearances before getting the call to Reading.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...r_phi&c_id=phi

Nice to see some good hitters coming up, especially in Clearwater. Franco, Perkins, Altherr make me really excited. The Phillies core/team has been so LH heavy recently and it could all change within the next 2-3 years.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Phillies farm jump up in the rankings.

Doesn't matter Rub will trade all the young talent for an old fart.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...r_phi&c_id=phi

Nice to see some good hitters coming up, especially in Clearwater. Franco, Perkins, Altherr make me really excited. The Phillies core/team has been so LH heavy recently and it could all change within the next 2-3 years.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Phillies farm jump up in the rankings.
    How far the Phillies jump in the rankings depends pretty much on some of the guys you mentioned. Full season performances from Biddle (especially him), Quinn, Franco, Altherr, Walding, and Watson could push them from the 23-30 range (depending on the source) into the late teens. You could probably factor in potential leaps forward from a guy like Gueller or Cozens in short season ball. Our farm doesn't lack depth by any means, its the lack of a true Blue Chipper that holds us down.

On a negative note, LGJr. looks like absolute crap at the plate although his OBP is over .300 despite being below the mendoza line on average. Seems to be feasting on the less polished pitchers on that level to draw walks. Also... Gillies

Dp

Wiesbaden Germany, By way of Philadelphia
    http://www.mister-baseball.com/phila...julsan-kamara/

Probably nothing in the grand sceme of things, but I think this is pretty awesome. I live essentially 20 minutes from Mainz, and used to watch the Athletics play all last season. My friend was this guys hitting coach. He can mash the ball but has a noodle for an arm, so we'll see if anything ever happens. Still cool to see though

Quote Originally Posted by Philapsychosis View Post
    http://www.mister-baseball.com/phila...julsan-kamara/

Probably nothing in the grand sceme of things, but I think this is pretty awesome. I live essentially 20 minutes from Mainz, and used to watch the Athletics play all last season. My friend was this guys hitting coach. He can mash the ball but has a noodle for an arm, so we'll see if anything ever happens. Still cool to see though
    You'd have to think that if he has that kind of power then the weak arm is a matter of poor mechanics more than a lack of arm strength. That should be something he'd be able to improve.

Learning to love the bomb since 2009

Phils, Eagles, Flyers

True. At least in young players, good power and good arm strength usually go hand-in-hand. Hitting for power is simply making efficient use of the kinetic chain. Throw hard is making efficient use of the kinetic chain in a slightly different way.

When you see power hitters who can't throw hard, you're usually looking at a bulky, veteran who's survived a few injuries.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    From Mark Anderson, who did that particular rating (it's a collaborative piece):
    Nostradamus.

Referring of course to Revere...
    Last edited by 831mbbsc; 05-14-2013 at 03:50 PM.

When do they start updating prospect lists? I'm really excited to see where Sickel and others start ranking the system. There are a lot of guys to be excited about.

^Probably sometime after the draft in June or around mid-season they will do some form of an update if I had to guess.

Yea, generally around the trade deadline. I don't really see the system moving up very far based on early results. Maikel Franco's offset by some other disappointing starts and Biddle's last couple outings have him back in line with expectations.

There are signs for optimism but only really the one breakout thus far. And as far as breakouts go, it's a very tempered one.
    Last edited by The A Team; 05-15-2013 at 10:52 AM.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

Dugan, Perkins, Altherr, among some others are having very solid starts. I'd at least be inclined to see a modest bump up to the teens rather than dwelling in the 20s.

Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast