Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    That sounds good.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

Some more info from that list:

Top 10 Talents 25 And Under (born 4/1/87 or later)

Jesse Biddle
    Maikel Franco
    Adam Morgan
    Roman Quinn
    Domonic Brown
    Tommy Joseph
    Ethan Martin
    Cody Asche
    Freddy Galvis
    Jon Pettibone
    Ranking prospects from a “thin” system is often one of the most challenging tasks for any prospect writer. How do you differentiate between blatantly flawed prospects? Compound that problem with young major-league talent with flaws and you have a real conundrum for an under-25 list.

It’s no secret the Phillies have been making moves to compete at the big-league level, utilizing a store of prospects to acquire talent like Roy Oswalt and Hunter Pence. Over the last few years, the Phillies have shipped out high-end prospects like Jonathan Singleton, Jarred Cosart, Jonathan Villar and Domingo Santana; that type of talent would make the Phillies list look much better.

As it stands now, the Phillies have very little young MLB talent, mixing only Domonic Brown and Freddy Galvis into the top 10. Galvis helped out in the big leagues in 2012 as the Phillies waited for Chase Utley to return, and while his defense was outstanding, his bat left much to be desired. Galvis has long been lauded for his work with the leather and that will not change going forward. He still profiles as a potential bottom-of-the-order hitter with plus-plus defense, making him a potential everyday player.

Domonic Brown has gone from one of the elite prospects in baseball to one of the most purely confusing young players in the game today. In 492 big-league plate appearances Brown has a .236/.315/.388; a line that, while disappointing, still harbors some hope for the future. He has still shown an ability to make good contact and there’s some pop in that tall frame, leaving many scouts to wonder what happens if the Phillies actually give him a chance to play every day in 2013. It’s hard to give up on Brown’s tools, but it’s also hard to project him as the star he was once considered to be. –Mark Anderson

A Parting Thought…..The system is lacking when it comes to players with high-end upside or prospects that wear the badge of national recognition, but if you take the time to look, you can find plenty of talent worth keeping an eye on.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    Some more info from that list:
    Revere + Aumont don't get on the top 10 talents 25 and under list. Dom Brown and Galvis are on it so I assume its not just guys from the farm. am I missing something?

Aumont isn't a part of the top 10 prospects, so he wouldn't be on the 25 and under list. I suspect Revere might be an oversight due to the trade. I'd slot him either above or below Brown.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

From Mark Anderson, who did that particular rating (it's a collaborative piece):

Maybe I'm out on an island, but I just don't think Ben Revere is that good. He makes contact but it is almost all weak contact and he can run. Even with a quality defensive profile in the outfield, that doesn't do it for me. I think he's kind of an empty player overall. I'm willing to concede that I could be underrating him, though.

A Team what are your thoughts on Revere? Do you optimistically see him hitting his ceiling of a young Pierre? or are you thinking he's going to be more along the lines of a 40 year old Pierre?

“Too many people go through life complaining about their problems. I've always believed that if you took one tenth of the energy you put into complaining and applied it to solving the problem, you'd be surprised by how well things can work out.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

Let's put it this way, I don't think Revere will be as good as Pierre in his prime, but I also don't think he's as much of a non-factor as Mark Anderson.

I'd project a .280/.320/.325 line with maybe half a win of value on defense. If he stays healthy, that should add up to about 1.5-3 WAR since he's a CFer. But I think you can see why I'm adamant that he not bat at the top of the lineup.

Basically, -10 runs batting, +5 defense, +5 base running, +20 replacement, +2.5 position adjustment with some fudge factor involved.
    Last edited by The A Team; 01-15-2013 at 09:47 AM.

I hate Revere.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

Mayo has Biddle and Martin in his Top 100...also saw JC Ramirez was Designated for Assignment.

Yea, I completely missed his name on the 40 man roster.

http://topprospectalert.com/2013/01/...pect-rankings/

Haven't ever really taken a look at this site before, but their list of Top 150 prospects is out and four Phillies plus an honorable mention:

76. Jesse Biddle - LHP
    97. Roman Quinn - SS
    113. Tommy Joseph - C
    150. Adam Morgan - LHP
    Honorable Mention: Ethan Martin - RHP

More or less what you'd expect.

I took a minute to visit the site. A couple funny inconsistencies.

Maikel Franco was ranked #3 in the Phillies system between Joseph (#2) and Morgan (#4). He's not on the top 150.

Roman Quinn is the #6 prospect in the Phillies system but 2nd best in the top 150.

Julio Rodriguez is ranked #9. He's no longer considered a prospect.

sexicano31 Guest
    People freaking out, again, because KLaw doesnt like the Phillies farm, again.

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast