Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eltwo View Post
    The NFL smashed baseball to pieces years ago because people have developed the attention span of gnats; who can be bothered to follow and watch even 81 games when you only have to follow 16 games?

It's not 81 games though it's 162, ridiculous really.

Although people have got shorter attention spans, baseball does itself no favors, it's so slow, and it's every single day another 3 and 1/2 hours...

There's no urgency to get on with it.

vCash
    To quote myself "who can be bothered to follow and watch even 81 games . . . ?"[emphasis added].

My point was that they can't even bother to watch half the games.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eltwo View Post
    To quote myself "who can be bothered to follow and watch even 81 games . . . ?"[emphasis added].

My point was that they can't even bother to watch half the games.

Missed that, yeah I agree. As soon as the team gives up, and I by that I mean the FO gives up, I stop watching. There's a few reasons to watch this summer, the young pitching and TDA I guess, but really it's a waste of a summer.

I haven't even watched the playoffs for years, who cares? my team aren't even trying to get in...if we'd fallen short after a good year, i'd be interested in the World Series.

Never felt this disconnected before. NFL? i'll watch virtually any game any time, I draw the line at games like the Jets last MNF against whoever it was, or TNF Jax v Tenn block buster but that's it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waveycrockett View Post
    Seriously tho WTF is Selig waiting for? Dudes just got downgraded by S&P what more evidence is needed?
    Evidence of what? The team will have a $90+ million payroll. That is well within MLB standards. There's nothing for him to act upon.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Everyone, these S&P rating don't mean a thing.

In 2008 right before all the major banks failed, S&P graded them excellent. So their ratings mean nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    It's not 81 games though it's 162, ridiculous really.

Although people have got shorter attention spans, baseball does itself no favors, it's so slow, and it's every single day another 3 and 1/2 hours...

There's no urgency to get on with it.
    Lol then go be a fan of another sport. I absolutely love baseball season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Selig is a disgrace, baseball is nothing but a country club. No wonder the NFL has smashed baseball to pieces over the last 20 years or so.
    Supply and Demand accounts for higher peak levels of interest.

01. The Cowboys were #1 in attendance in 2011 and drew 680,000 fans. The Phillies and Yankees drew 3.5 million fans in 2012 each. Football averages more fans per game, but only 8 home games are scheduled each season. What would happen if each team played 162 football games each year? Attendance would very likely plummet on a per game basis.

02. In terms of television ratings...same thing. Each team appears on television once per week for 16 weeks. Baseball teams appear on TV 5+ times/week for 24 weeks. It stands to reason that more eyes watch baseball during its full season than football.

As for the Superbowl itself...it clearly dominates the W.S. as an event.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    Everyone, these S&P rating don't mean a thing.

In 2008 right before all the major banks failed, S&P graded them excellent. So their ratings mean nothing.
    Well I agree that both Moody's and S&P did an atrocious job of rating the bonds and CDOs containing subprime mortgages. That's very different from saying their ratings mean nothing.

Their ratings, when negative, certainly affect the ability of an particular organization to borrow money. Whe the US had its rating dropped by S&P, it incurred billions more in debt just based on higher interest rate borrowing.

This affects the Wilpons' ability to borrow more money against Citi Field. I don't know how that affects their long term finances with respect to managing the team, but it does have some financial impact.
    Go Grab My Belt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12