Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

S&P Downgrades Citi Field Bonds to BB

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/1.../?ref=baseball

With one glaring exception, the Mets appear to be in cost-cutting mode this winter. Yes, David Wright agreed to an eight-year, $138 million contract this month.

But the Mets traded their ace, R.A. Dickey, over what amounted to a few million dollars, and unloaded Jason Bay and a host of other underperforming players. The Mets are the only team that had not signed a major league free agent this off-season.

Sandy Alderson, the team’s general manager, has said the Mets are simply being prudent after years of signing high-priced flops. But he has also said the Mets do not have unlimited funds, something most fans have long suspected even after the team’s owners settled their legal standoff with the trustee representing the victims of the Bernard L. Madoff Ponzi scheme.

Others have come to the same conclusion. On Dec. 21, Standard & Poor’s lowered its rating on the almost $700 million in bonds issued to finance Citi Field, and it said the outlook for them remains negative. The bonds are now rated BB, from BB+. That’s two notches below investment grade, junk bonds in the parlance of the debt market.

Jodi Hecht, an analyst at Standard & Poor’s, cited “cash flow volatility,” noting that “a large portion” of the money pledged to pay off the bonds is “game-day revenue,” which includes sales of club-seat tickets, concessions and parking. How the Mets play will affect the prospects for this revenue, she said. Standard & Poor’s “may lower the rating if cash flows continue to decline due to a combination of poor team performance, slow economic recovery, overcapacity in the New York region,” she added.

Attendance has fallen three straight seasons, and the Mets have finished in fourth place four consecutive years.

Despite the dim prospects for the team in 2013, the Mets may get a boost in ticket sales if fans buy season-ticket packages as a way to secure tickets to the All-Star Game, which will be played at Citi Field in July.

The downgrade by Standard & Poor’s is unlikely to affect the Mets much in the short-term unless they issue new debt. The team currently makes semi-annual bond payments of $22 million using revenue from sales of suites, club seats, concessions and other items.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Still waiting for Selig to step in and clean this mess up

vCash
    Embarrassing but doesn't mean much at this point. Solidified what we all knew.

vCash
    It would have been a miracle if it stayed up.

This won't come as a shock to the Wilpons, other investors, their financial advisers, or Alderson because this was expected to happen and the gameplan for the future was being crafted around it.

Disclaimer: Not saying that this is a good thing; it's an awful, awful thing but not something that should take anyone by surprise - especially the people fiscally responsible.
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    Seriously tho WTF is Selig waiting for? Dudes just got downgraded by S&P what more evidence is needed?

vCash
    I'm pretty sure that Selig believes that this is the lowest that it will go for the Mets and Wilpons.
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash

S&P Downgrades Citi Field Bonds to Bb

The mets downgraded themselves to a small market team about three years ago.

vCash
    They shouldn't be owning a major league baseball team or even a business for that matter. If only we could be blessed like the Dodgers after the McCourt issue, but I doubt we would be that lucky. Wilpons have to be one of the most dishonest owners in sports towards there fans

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    They shouldn't be owning a major league baseball team or even a business for that matter. If only we could be blessed like the Dodgers after the McCourt issue, but I doubt we would be that lucky. Wilpons have to be one of the most dishonest owners in sports towards there fans
    I'm not defending the Wilpons , but who wants admit they're broke to the fanbase. All mets fans would riot if that happens.

vCash
    It's all part of this physical cliff thingie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    It's all part of this physical cliff thingie.
    Yup, I blame Obama!!!

He wants to raise them taxes to the rich, therefore not allowing the Wilpons to spend more money on the team!!!!!

vCash
    Selig is a disgrace, baseball is nothing but a country club. No wonder the NFL has smashed baseball to pieces over the last 20 years or so.

vCash
    Your thread made me look up "Who owned Citi field?" Now I get a better feeling how the Mets are in such hock! The stadium that Bernie funded!
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    The NFL smashed baseball to pieces years ago because people have developed the attention span of gnats; who can be bothered to follow and watch even 81 games when you only have to follow 16 games?
    Last edited by eltwo; 01-01-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eltwo View Post
    The NFL smashed baseball to pieces years ago because people have developed the attention span of gnats; who can be bothered to follow and watch even 81 games when you only have to follow 16 games?
    I used to try and watch every mets game now I watch about 20-30 games a year they are horrible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast