Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Jaguars Official Offseason Thread: Goodbye Gene Smith!!

Discuss all the happenings for the offseason in here. Plenty to talk about with a new GM and possibly new HC coming in.

vCash
    Alonzo Highsmith. Highsmith was an NFL running back for six seasons and was also part of the Miami Hurricanes 1983 championship team, which famously earned the "U" moniker. Highsmith retired from the NFL in 1992 due to multiple injuries, but got into the scouting ranks with the Green Bay Packers in 1999 after a short stint as a heavyweight boxer.

He's now been linked to the Jacksonville Jaguars general manager position.

Jags have done a good job keeping info tight, but 2 names I hear they like as GM candidates - Tom Gamble (SF) and Alonzo Highsmith (GB)

— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) December 31, 2012
    Highsmith trained under Ron Wolf and current Packers general manager Ted Thompson and has been targeted by other teams for upper management roles, but not as a role as a general manager, and the Packers blocked other teams from interviewing him. Highsmith was promoted to be a senior personnel executive in May of 2012.

Highsmith was credited for unearthing talented cornerback Tramon Williams and won the 2010 NFL Scout of the Year award and is considered a "dark horse" candidate for teams looking for an up-and-coming general manager. Highsmith is also a "Rooney Rule" candidate, because he's African-American.
    -BCC

@JasonColeYahoo
    In addition to Browns, hearing that AZ VP of player personnel Steve Keim is drawing interest from Jacksonville. Could get GM promo w/ Cards

vCash
    ryan o'halloran@ryanohalloran
    league source: "i have a feeling khan will go after a big name. He wants to make a splash and money isn't a road block." #jaguars
    the jacksonville jaguars have requested to interview tom gamble of the san francisco 49ers, according to a report by adam schefter of espn.

Gamble is a name who should be familiar to jaguars fans if they've paid attention to the front offices in the afc south, but probably isn't a household name.

Gamble was a college scout directly under bill polian from 1998 to 2004 with the indianapolis colts, helping build a dominant football team. It's believed that gamble left the colts in 2004 when chris polian was promoted to asst. General manager/football operations.

Currently gamble serves as the san francisco 49ers director of player personnel after having served as the director of pro personnel for the past seven years. Gamble interviewed for the st. Louis rams general manager position last season.

The jaguars aren't the only team interested in gamble, so it could force the jaguars to make a substantial offer if he's their ideal choice. That shouldn't be a problem either, according to a report by ryan o'halloran of the florida times-union.

O'halloran also reports that the move to get a new general manager will happen fast, as khan was quick to dump gene smith after the season.
    -bcc

vCash
    Wow, Khan sure isn't wasting anytime!
    Nothing to see here, move along.

vCash
    rules on nfl coaching interviews

the future of jacksonville jaguars head coach mike mularkey is still up in the air, and many have asked what the rules are for interviewing and hiring coaches who are currently employed by teams in the playoffs. Typically, teams will have to wait until the bye week or when a team is eliminated from the playoffs, but there is a a set of rules that teams have to go by.

January 6 - assistant coaches under contract with playoff teams that have byes in "wild card" weekend can be interviewed for head coaching positions through the conclusion of the wild card games. Teams must ask for permission to interview.

January 13 - assistant coaches under contract with playoff teams that won wild card games may be
    interviewed for head coaching positions through the conclusion of divisional playoff games.

January 27 - assistant coaches whose team is participating in the super bowl, that has previously
    interviewed for another team's head coaching job may have a second interview with the same team no
    later than the sunday prior to the super bowl.

As far as i know, the same rules apply for front office positions on playoff teams.
    -bcc
    Last edited by DavidR; 12-31-2012 at 02:02 PM.

vCash
    Tag Ribary from Seattle could be an option too.

vCash
    i like what i hear. another reason i like the khans. wants to make splash and money is no factor. hopefully they do for head coaching also. chip kelly, cowher, saban (i wish), bill o brien

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jags4Life View Post
    i like what i hear. another reason i like the khans. wants to make splash and money is no factor. hopefully they do for head coaching also. chip kelly, cowher, saban (i wish), bill o brien
    I want cowher here as well

Let's get ready to Shiva!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The goods View Post
    I want cowher here as well
    cowher is a pipe dream at best. hes making a couple of million doing tv. seems happy and probably doesnt wanna relocate down here.

give me a guy who would probably play the flex 3-4 and 4-3 hybrid defense.

The Future Jacksonville Jaguars Power Couple

#InCaldwellWeDon'tTrust

vCash
    Smith wasn't likeable in any way. Most front office guys are fairly congenial, but Smith was a morose lump of flesh who didn't go beyond a grunt of acknowledgement.

vCash
    I'm hoping the Jags can get Highsmith. As long as the Jags can get one of Highsmith, Gamble, or Keim.

vCash
    Ryan O'Halloran ‏@ryanohalloran
    RT @JayGlazer: Jags owner Shad Khan today, under the radar, interviewed ATL Personnel Director Dave Caldwell for their GM job.
    FWIW

The Future Jacksonville Jaguars Power Couple

#InCaldwellWeDon'tTrust

vCash
    Like that

vCash
    for some reason we always go to the falcons for something;....wouldnt be surprised for the least if they hire Dave Caldwell

vCash
    give me Tom Gamble and Andy Reid

Big Ben?Naw much better

The Future Of Jacksonville

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast