Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Head Coach Search Thread

Bears ask to speak to broncos oc, mike mccoy.

vCash
    The Bears have already started their list, and they’re starting on offense.

According to FOX’s Jay Glazer, the Bears have asked for permission to interview Denver offensive coordinator Mike McCoy.

The 40-year-old McCoy has experience in multiple systems, from his days as a West Coast offense quarterback to helping make the Tim Tebow experiment work in Denver.

Tapping into quarterback Jay Cutler is clearly a priority, and McCoy has the kind of background to prove he can adjust on the fly, and make the most of a variety of quarterbacks. A proven commodity such as Cutler, with a reliable deep threat in Brandon Marshall is a good place to start.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ew-mike-mccoy/

vCash
    Sounds good so far...
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

You can always create a place for yourself.
    vCash
    offensive minded coach is needed for the bears
    Cubs Bulls Bears Blackhawks

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brewerboy View Post
    I wonder if da Bears will try and go after Arians? What do you guys think?
    I just wish he wasn't 61 years old. That's my drawback with him.

vCash
    McCoy is a good start, I also expect Mike Zimmer from Cincy will be on the list. If I were Emery, I would throw a line out to at least interview Chip Kelly. See what he would bring. I don't think he would be the right fit, but you at least need to interview him.

vCash
    Arians would be another good option to interview.

vCash
    Billick

vCash
    If McCoy comes over, I expect Clady will too as a Free Agent.

vCash
    Billick, Gruden or Cowher I would love. I expect Todd Haley to get interviewed too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badluck33 View Post
    Billick, Gruden or Cowher I would love. I expect Todd Haley to get interviewed too.
    I wouldn't expect this. That's for sure. In 92 years, they've never hired a coach with head coaching experience. I don't see why that would change now. I mean, the same family still owns the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badluck33 View Post
    Reunite Cowher and Whisenhunt in Chicago? (if Whiz doesn't land another HC gig)

vCash
    Candidates for Bears GM Emery to consider

Bears general manager Phil Emery is likely to conduct an extensive search for Lovie Smith’'s replacement as head coach. He probably will consider and interview many candidates before making a hire.

These are some of the coaches he might consider.

-- Dan Pompei

Brian Billick: He led the Ravens to victory in Super Bowl XXXV and has a career record of 85-67, but he has not found another head coaching job since the Ravens fired him after the 2007 season. He is an offensive-minded coach who is from the Bill Walsh school. Dennis Green also was an influence. Several coaches who worked under Billick went on to become head coaches, including Mike Tice, Mike Smith, Mike Singletary, Mike Nolan, Rex Ryan, Marvin Lewis and Jack Del Rio. Billick currently is an analyst for Fox and an author.
    Jim Caldwell: Peyton Manning's former quarterback guru compiled a 26-22 record as head coach of the Colts before getting fired after last season (his record was 24-8 before Manning missed the 2011 season). He spent most of this season as the Ravens' quarterbacks coach before being promoted to offensive coordinator. He is a little similar to Lovie Smith in that he is a Tony Dungy disciple with a mild-mannered demeanor.
    Bill Cowher: He spent 15 years as the Steelers' head coach and made two Super Bowl appearances, winning once against the Seahawks in Super Bowl XL. Cowher is the kind of tough, defensive-minded coach Chicago fans would embrace. But he has turned down multiple opportunities since resigning in 2006 and appears to be enjoying his life as a pregame host for CBS.
    Jack Del Rio: He went 68-71 in nine years as the Jaguars’ head coach and was fired after the 2011 season. Del Rio, a good NFL middle linebacker for 12 years, has had great success this year as the Broncos' defensive coordinator. Among the coaches who have influenced him is Mike Ditka, for whom he worked in New Orleans.
    Jon Gruden: He is everyone's fantasy choice, but it might be difficult to lure Gruden out of the ESPN booth. His offensive pedigree, high profile and Hollywood good looks make him highly marketable. It doesn't hurt that he coached the Buccaneers to a Super Bowl win in 2002 and had a 95-81 record in 12 years as head coach of the Bucs and Raiders. If Gruden returns to coaching, he will demand a ton of money, probably more than the Bears would be willing to pay.
    Todd Haley: This is an interesting name because he worked with Emery in Kansas City. Whether that would help or hurt his chances for the Bears job is unknown, but Haley had a bitter falling-out with Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, who remains an adviser to Emery. Haley, who worked in Chicago as a wide receivers coach under Dick Jauron, has had mixed results as the Steelers' offensive coordinator this year.
    Mike Holmgren: He recently was replaced as president of the Browns and indicated he could be interested in a return to coaching. Holmgren, 64, has ties to Chicago as a supporter of North Park College because his daughters went to school there. Holmgren is a quarterback guru who helped develop Steve Young, Brett Favre, Matt Hasselbeck and others. He has a 161-111 record as a head coach. He might be seeking more power than the Bears would be willing to give him. Green Bay, where Holmgren won a Super Bowl and had a street named in his honor, might never forgive him if he became coach of the Bears.
    Josh McDaniels: He flamed out as head coach of the Broncos with an 11-17 record over two years, but he has rehabilitated his image with a successful season overseeing Tom Brady as the Patriots' offensive coordinator. One of his first acts in Denver was trading Jay Cutler. He also shipped out Brandon Marshall, so he probably would not be a good fit in Chicago. This Bill Belichick disciple is only 36 and has a lot of coaching in front of him.
    Mike Nolan: The former 49ers head coach could get another chance to run a team in part because of the success he has had with the Falcons this season. Nolan had three losing seasons as coach of the 49ers before being fired midway through his fourth year. He has been a defensive coordinator for seven teams and is widely respected as one of the premier defensive minds in the NFL.
    Andy Reid: Fired by the Eagles, he will be one of the most sought-after head coaching prospects. He coached the Eagles to five NFC championship games, including four straight. Reid is a West Coast offense disciple, having learned from Holmgren. He is known for his work with quarterbacks Favre, Donovan McNabb and Michael Vick. He also has developed coaches well; Brad Childress, John Harbaugh, Steve Spagnuolo, Leslie Frazier, Ron Rivera and Pat Shurmur all became NFL head coaches after serving under Reid.
    Mike Singletary: The former 49ers head coach at least should be given the courtesy of an interview given his contributions to the Bears as a player. Singletary was a Hall of Fame middle linebacker but couldn't turn around the 49ers in 2 1/2 seasons as their head coach. He’s currently the linebackers coach and assistant head coach of the Vikings.

Bruce Arians: Arians is getting looks for galvanizing the Colts while filling in for Chuck Pagano while Pagano underwent treatment for leukemia. His only previous head coaching experience came at Temple, where he went 21-45 over six seasons in the 1980s. Arians is a longtime NFL offensive assistant who has worked with Peyton Manning, Tim Couch, Ben Roethlisberger and now Andrew Luck. He is a self-professed riverboat gambler of a coach.
    Rob Chudzinski: The Bears interviewed him for their offensive coordinator position three years ago. He eventually went to the Panthers, where he was responsible for the quick development of Cam Newton in 2011. Chudzinski is from the Norv Turner school of offense.
    Tom Clements: The former Notre Dame quarterback has helped develop Aaron Rodgers and was promoted to offensive coordinator in Green Bay last year. The Bears have been interested in Clements as an offensive coordinator prospect in the past. Clements worked under Mike Ditka in New Orleans and has been influenced by Mike McCarthy.
    Perry Fewell: The former Bears secondary coach under Lovie Smith has had a nice run as defensive coordinator of the Giants and Bills. He also served as interim head coach of the Bills in 2009, going 3-4 after Dick Jauron was fired.
    Jay Gruden: Jon Gruden's brother is a fine offensive mind in his own right, and his development of Andy Dalton in Cincinnati makes him an attractive head coaching candidate. Jay is regarded as a mellower version of his brother. He is an Arena Football League legend, having won four Arena Bowls as a player and two as a head coach.
    Dirk Koetter: He went 66-44 as a head coach at Arizona State and Boise State, but it is his work with Matt Ryan and the Falcons offense this year that has Koetter being discussed as a top head coaching candidate. He previously was the offensive coordinator in Jacksonville, where he worked with Mike Tice.
    Mike McCoy: The Broncos offensive coordinator has received acclaim for altering his offense to make it fit Tim Tebow, then altering it again to make it fit Peyton Manning. Kyle Orton also had a career year under McCoy, 40, who is from the John Fox school of coaching.
    Winston Moss: The assistant head coach and inside linebackers coach of the Packers played linebacker for the Bucs, Raiders and Seahawks. Mike McCarthy recognizes Moss' strong leadership ability and gives him responsibilities not always given to an assistant. When McCarthy decided he needed a new defensive staff in 2009, Moss was the only significant assistant he retained.
    Greg Roman: He has done nice work with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick with the 49ers, but he also benefits from working with quarterback guru Jim Harbaugh. He has a varied background, having coached different positions and even working on defense and in strength and conditioning.
    Kyle Shanahan: The son of Mike Shanahan is credited with helping develop Robert Griffin III. He also had success with Matt Schaub and Rex Grossman. He is only 33 but has been an NFL assistant for nine years. In addition to working under his father, he also has worked for Jon Gruden and Gary Kubiak.
    Dave Toub: The longtime Bears special teams coach deserves consideration for the head coaching job based on the success he has had under Lovie Smith. He has strong leadership skills, is well-liked and knows the lay of the land. Toub is ready to be a head coach. If Emery wants to make a clean break from the Smith regime, it will work against Toub.
    Mike Zimmer: The defensive coordinator of the Bengals is a Chicago-area native, having attended Lockport High School and Illinois State. He has a connection with Emery, having worked with him in Atlanta for one season. Zimmer has run 3-4 and 4-3 fronts and is a well-respected strategist who is from the Bill Parcells tree.
    Kirk Ferentz, Iowa: This Bill Belichick disciple and former Browns and Ravens assistant has had numerous chances to leave Iowa but never has been interested in making the jump. It could be different now that his son James, the Hawkeyes' center, is graduating. He has a 100-74 record at Iowa.
    Chip Kelly, Oregon: He turned down an opportunity to coach the Bucs last year, and the feeling is he won't turn down the right NFL opportunity this year. He has gone 45-7 at Oregon, using a spread offense that has befuddled Pac-12 defenses. Some wonder whether Kelly's offense would work in the NFL.
    Brian Kelly, Notre Dame: He appears to be content at Notre Dame, but it would be a coup for the Bears to bring in Kelly after his successful 2012 season. In his coaching career at Grand Valley State, Central Michigan, Cincinnati and Notre Dame, Kelly’s record is 199-66-2.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...2.photogallery

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haggis View Post
    Candidates for Bears GM Emery to consider

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...2.photogallery
    This article has to be BS.

McDaniels?? Really?? I stopped reading there.

Page 1 of 65 1231151 ... LastLast