8 61.54%
  • D: bottom dwellers. Suck for clowney

0 0%
  • F: please give me the 5 minutes of my life back that I spent reading this

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Bcb's mock offseason

Bcb had the idea since not everyone has done one so you can see his be discussed voted on and look at the format etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BCB mwat15
    Coaching Hires
    1. Hire Kyle Shannahan as HC (primary play caller)
    2. Retain Marinelli as DC
    Player Transactions
    Player Cuts

1. RB Michael Bush- We can find a goal line RB in the late rounds or the UDFA market. His cap space is needed elsewhere
    2. WR Devin Hester- Hesterís contract is no longer prohibitive. However, he offered the team very little last season. Now is the time to cut him loose.
    3. WR Dane Sanzenbacher- This is just a formality since Emery has already Waived him and the Bengals picked him up.
    4. TE Kellen Davis- **** you Kellen Davis!
    5. TE Matt Spaeth- $2 Million is too much for a blocking TE.
    6. OT Cory Brandon- Who?
    7. DT Matt Toeina- A 4th DT canít make $1.5 Million.

Bearsí Restricted Free Agents

1. Right of First Refusal Tender to Nate Collins- Collins performed well when asked and is excellent depth. This is a formality to work out a contract.
    2. No contract tendered to Anthony Walters- He isnít needed with Hardin back next season.
    3. No contract tendered to Johnny Knox- I canít see doctors ever letting Johnny play again.

Franchise Tag

1. Place Franchise Tag on Henry Melton- This is just a formality so the Bears can keep negotiating.

Player Signings

1. Sign Henry Melton to 5-year $40 Million- Melton is the best young building block on the defense. We canít afford to let him go. The DT market is really out of whack because of Suh, Seymour, and McCoyís contracts. This contract is based off of Tommie Harrisí extension.
    2. Sign OG Louis Vasquez to 3-year $12 Million- The Bears have to find 2 starting OGs and donít have the draft picks to do so without FA. Louis is an immediate upgrade that wonít break the bank. It is somewhat concerning that he comes over from a power scheme to a ZBS, but I think he is versatile enough to do it.
    3. Sign TE Jared Cook to 4-year $20 Million- The TE position was a black hole last season. This signing is all about potential. Cook has all of the talent in the world; hopefully Cutler can get it out of him.
    4. Sign QB Kyle Orton to 1-year $850K- A solid backup QB behind Cutler.
    5. Sign LB Nick Roach to 2-year $3 Million- I thought Roach performed well at MLB. In my scenario, I donít have the cap to re-sign Urlacher.
    6. Sign DT Nick Collins to 2-year $2 Million- Collins is excellent depth.
    7. Sign DT Amobi Okoye to 1-year $800K- DT depth
    8. Sign DE Israel Idonije to 1-year $1.5 Million- Izzyís versatility means he still has value to this team that needs depth.
    9. Sign CB Kelvin Hayden to 1-year $800K- CB depth
    10. Sign Cheta Ozougwu to 1-year $500K- DE Depth

Draft Picks

Rd 1. (20) OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma- I donít see any of the LTs making it to FA; and if Jake Long does, Iím not really interested if he is going to cost a fortune. Johnson is a big upside prospect. He is quickly gaining ground on Lewan and Fisher. He starts at LT from day one.
    Rd 2. (50) LB Kasheem Greene, Rutgers- Greene is an outstanding LB prospect. In any other class he could be a 1st Rd pick.
    Rd 4. (114) OG Hugh Thornton, Illinois- A big powerful OL, Thornton played LT for Illinois last season.
    Rd 5. (155) WR Marquise Goodwin, Texas- A true burner to replace Knox.
    Rd 6. (190) QB Alex Carder, Western Michigan- We need a developmental QB.

Undrafted Free Agent Signings

1. RB Knile Davis, Arkansas- Take a shot on a talented RB in UDFA.
    2. CB Greg Reid, Valdosta St- Florida St transfer is an excellent UDFA signing.
    3. TE Ben Cotton, Nebraska- A blocking TE prospect.
    4. FB Zack Boren, Ohio St- FB depth

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB mwat15
    Depth Chart
    Offense (Starters Bolded)

QB: Jay Cutler/Kyle Orton/Alex Carder
    RB: Matt Forte/Armando Allen/Knile Davis
    FB: Evan Rodriguez/Zack Boren
    “X” WR: Brandon Marshall/Alshon Jeffery/Earl Bennett
    “Z” WR: Alshon Jeffery/ Marquise Goodwin/Joe Anderson
    Slot: Earl Bennett/Eric Weems/Marquise Goodwin
    TE: Jared Cook/Kyle Adams/Ben Cotton
    LT: Lane Johnson/J’Marcus Webb
    LG: Hugh Thornton/James Brown/Edwin Williams
    OC: Roberto Garza/Edwin Williams
    RG: Louis Vasquez/James Brown/Gabe Carimi
    RT: Gabe Carimi/J’Marcus Webb

Defense (Starters Bolded)

LE: Corey Wooton/Israel Idonije
    NT: Stephen Paea/Nick Collins/Amobi Okoye
    UT: Henry Melton/Amobi Okoye/Israel Idonije
    RE: Julius Peppers/Shea McClellin/Cheta Ozougwu
    SLB: Kasheem Greene/Dom DeCicco
    MLB: Nick Roach/Blake Costanzo/Dom DeCicco
    WLB: Lance Briggs/Kasheem Greene/ JT Thomas
    CB: Charles Tillman/Tim Jennings/Kelvin Hayden/Sherrick McMannis/Isaiah Frey/Greg Reid
    S: Major Wright/Chris Conte/Brandon Hardin/Craig Steltz

Special Teams (Starters Bolded)

K: Robbie Gould
    P: Adam Podlesh
    LS: Patrick Mannelly
    Reasoning
    Offense: First things first, let’s recap the 2012 Chicago Bears’ offense. The offense was one of the least efficient offenses in the game. Only 4 teams were worse in terms of yards per play: the Cardinals; Jets; Jaguars; and Chargers. They were 23rd in the league in terms of yards per pass attempt; and 23rd in adjusted yards per attempt. The team finished a mediocre 16th in terms of yards per rushing attempt. The name of the game this offseason is buffing the efficiency of this offense. Enter Kyle Shannahan who will bring with him the Shannahan version of the ZBS and the West Coast Offense that made BMarsh and Cutler Pro Bowlers. This offense should maximize the abilities of the offense’s best players.

Defense: The first noticeable difference is that 54 is not manning the middle. While I have chosen to retain Marinelli, and the system, I did not have the cap room that I felt I could retain Urlacher. Either way, I thought Roach played adequately enough to be a stop gap until we can address the position for the long term in the draft. The short version of the story is that I tried to maintain the status quo for one more season while the offense gets a necessary overhaul.

vCash
    Marquise Goodwin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nq9emo0hWs

Watch 1:10 mark and 3:00 until the end.

vCash
    I wanted to add one thing. I think it is going to be next to impossible to make a guaranteed Super Bowl contender. This team has to many player question marks with important players. That said, we should all know by now that the playoffs are a crap shoot, getting in to the playoffs is all that matters. From there anything can happen

vCash
    I want to give it a higher grade, but realistically, I don't see anyone making a team that's better than a C in this.

There are just too many question marks on defense and on the OL to make me feel good about things. What really, really concerns me is having two rookies on Jay's blindside. I know we had crap there anyway, but I don't know that that learning curve with a new offense is something that makes me feel warm and fuzzy for next season.
    How I Feel reading Cliff Stein's Contracts:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    I want to give it a higher grade, but realistically, I don't see anyone making a team that's better than a C in this.

There are just too many question marks on defense and on the OL to make me feel good about things. What really, really concerns me is having two rookies on Jay's blindside. I know we had crap there anyway, but I don't know that that learning curve with a new offense is something that makes me feel warm and fuzzy for next season.
    I wanted to sign another OG, but the realization that Melton is going to cost 40M+ ruined that. That, and the OG FA market is fairly weak.

vCash
    I like that offense though

vCash
    One more thing. I didn't list a Nickel because I couldn't decide on Hayden or Hardin. Hardin intrigues me as a NB because he could potentially match up with the athletic TEs.

vCash
    Im not a big fan of your draft but the other stuff was solid

vCash
    ^What is wrong with the draft? Not trying to be an ***, the point of these is to stir discussion.

vCash
    Gave it a B. Its tough for anyone to make this team a Super Bowl contender in one offseason with that many holes but I like what you did. OLine is still a question, improved from last year, but its tough to fix the entire line in 1 offseason. Interested to watch Johnson's workouts to see if he is going to rise like you said. Goodwin could be what this team has been hoping from Hester the last few years. On defense the DLine is fine and keeping the depth is key. LBs different without 54 but Roach should do an ok job. Wish the safety depth was addressed. We will finally get to see Hardin this year after sitting out last year but Wright is not a lock to play a whole season and Conte had his share of injuries this year. Really like it though and never hurts to lock up Melton for the next couple of years

vCash
    BCB, I have a lot of respect for your mocks and posts. You have always showed good judgement in them. I don't agree with a lot of your choices here, but there are some that I totally agree with.

First, I was in favor of Shanahan, but him only being 33 is a real problem for me with a veteran team that we have. I think without Urlacher in the locker room, there could be problems.

In all honesty I think that the Bears would only go afte a LT and TE in FA. Resigning Melton would be a priority and retaining Urlacher for about $4m or less is the best option with Lovie no longer being here.

Having OGs of Brown, Louis, E. Williams, and drafting B. Jones should give us enough cap space and room to grow. Having OTs of Albert, Carimi, Webb, and Scott would give us a nice group as well. As long as we change the scheme which I think that we would do. If Scott is too expensive to retain, resign Cory Brandon.

I am all for Jared Cook and Kyle Adams being our main TEs and having a rookie as our 3rd string. I would love to go with two FBs as well. Rodriquez as the starter and a short yardage runner who can play ST as the back up, like a Unga type of guy who should be cheap.

Drafting a speedy WR in the 5th would be awesome. I like having Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, and Anderson as our main guys with the possibility of the rookie coming in to take the top off of the defense.

I like the idea of keeping Melton, Okoye, and Collins as our DTs to go aong with Paea. I would also add Terrell McClain as our 5th DT. I would love for us to draft that DE from FSU if he is still there in the 4th. It would then come down to resigning Izzy or Cheta for the 5th DE if we decided to keep 5 which I am not in favor of.

vCash
    Also I like the idea of signing Orton. I would not draft a QB, I like having Blanchard as our developmental QB. I would want to keep Bush and sign an UDFA RB like Booker would have been for us this year. Speed guy around 5'10 who can play ST.

I would have Dennison as the HC and I'm open to who the OC would be from that coaching tree, maybe even Bates. Easy transition.

vCash
    I would rather address the O-line via free agency. Albert/Clady/Long someone who is already proven. The defense is kinda iffy. I am fine with Shanahan, haven't really looked in-depth on potential hires. Also, it says retain Hot Rod but would you also retain Tice or cut him and have Emery/new HC find a replacement?

vCash
    Gimme Fisher in the 1st Amerson in the 2nd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast