Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

The (Still) Real Problem

Drafting and acquiring talent...

Dallas had 7 draft picks and 7 free agent signings in an off-season where the KNEW they had to get some help in areas of this team.

Of those 14 bodies, Carr, Claiborne, and Livings were the only ones with solid contributions, and they ranked low in season ending ranks at their positions still.

From bernadeau to pool, crawford wilber. Johnson and coale, so many guys were cut, or not even usable.

Fire coaches, change qb, burn everything to the ground...but until you put a competent GM in place, Dallas should only expect to see the same results

vCash
    I agree in principle. I believe that once a suitable GM is established, which could be a coach, then a coaching change will or would occur and quite possibly a rebuild or changing of the guard on the QB front, but first it all starts at the top.

Problem I see is that in today's culture the larger something is the less people are willing to regress to fix their direction. Sports teams, companies, countries, etc, so i forecast dismal changes and embellished promises to keep the people thinking things will get better without actually making them better.

Best Buy is an example, Sears is an example, JC Penny is another, add Radio Shack, Microsoft is headed that way, Dallas Cowboys are obviously another example, California is hanging on by a thread, the EU, the Lakers face the same problems, and even the U.S. Their all so big that the supporters, fans, employees, and countrymen refuse to accept regression or recession to rebuild, hence why only dismal band aid style promises are on the horizon.
    Last edited by thedon01; 01-04-2013 at 02:53 PM.

"
    No Idea Why Ines Sainz Was Her assed"

vCash
    I couldn't agree more with y2k and the Don this is what we've been trying to get fans to understand for yrs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    Drafting and acquiring talent...

Dallas had 7 draft picks and 7 free agent signings in an off-season where the KNEW they had to get some help in areas of this team.

Of those 14 bodies, Carr, Claiborne, and Livings were the only ones with solid contributions, and they ranked low in season ending ranks at their positions still.

From bernadeau to pool, crawford wilber. Johnson and coale, so many guys were cut, or not even usable.

Fire coaches, change qb, burn everything to the ground...but until you put a competent GM in place, Dallas should only expect to see the same results
    wilber, crawford, and johnson were drafted has project players. wilber played well on special teams, which is about all you can expect out of a guy drafted that low. crawford had a good training camp, and should compete this coming year. ( simliar to lee, and carter)

johnson had alot of injuries, so that remains to be seen.

you also left out connor, sims who both had solid contirbutions this year.

vCash

The (Still) Real Problem

You're right on the draft. Claiborne was our only impact player from the class. Although we miss like every other team we fail to address our DL and OL through draft. Instead we gamble on ones through FA and are stuck with their contracts. Our FO had lost sight on what wins ball games in the NFL. If we don't address our interior line and DLine we will once again fall short. Next season can be a 4-12 season if we continue to put our QB in harms way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rawz View Post
    wilber, crawford, and johnson were drafted has project players. wilber played well on special teams, which is about all you can expect out of a guy drafted that low. crawford had a good training camp, and should compete this coming year. ( simliar to lee, and carter)

johnson had alot of injuries, so that remains to be seen.

you also left out connor, sims who both had solid contirbutions this year.
    But you don't get the point. Dallas was not in a position to draft project players, nor do I think those were drafted as projects. The Cowboys lack real depth, and they have a GM, much like Al Davis, hellbent on finding some project/sneaky/"no one else saw it coming" player, rather than just drafting smart, developed(mentally and physically) players.

vCash
    That whole Pool thing was a little embarrassing

vCash
    Johnny Manziel.

vCash
    He went HAM tonight.

vCash
    We need to find a way to get two first round picks next year. Next year draft class has tremendous amount of talent. I'm willing to trade our 18th pick this year in order to get another 1st round next year.
    Last edited by Romo2TheOscars; 01-05-2013 at 01:25 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Romo2Austin View Post
    We need to find a way to get two first round picks next year. Next year draft class has tremendous amount of talent. I'm willing to trade our 18th pick this year in order to get another 1st round next year.
    It would be nice if we had the luxury to do that but we dont due to Jerry's horrible drafts (in aggregate) over the past 5 years. We need to literally have a draft where we hit on 4 or 5 players this year to fill key holes. We are actually still haunted by 2 huge Jerry Elephants in the room:
    1. The Draft of 2009 which may go down as one of the worst drafts in NFL history for any one team. 3 or 4 years out now we should have several of that draft class which serve as a key core of this team - Orlando Scandrick is the only player on the roster from that monumental bust of a draft
    2. Jerry's trading of multiple picks to get Roy ****ing Williams - need I say more with that lost opportunity cost of giving away high draft choices??

vCash
    Plus, the cumulative effects of the slow bloodletting every year of overpaying good or ok players way more money than their performance. Going for the sexy additions over the fundamental positions that get you the ugly wins.

There seem to have been many teams that were in the toilet but have really turned their team around: Seahawks, 49ers, Colts, Redskins and Broncos. I think getting a quality GM would be more important than any other addition. Jimmy Johnson (while not a GM but was the puppetmaster back then) probably had the greatest impact on this franchise in the last twenty years. His teams were probably the most dominant in franchise history.

vCash
    RF, I couldn't agree more and if I thought it would actually happen (getting a real GM), I would do a back flip (and at my age, probably break my neck )...I was hoping, begging for JJ to hire polian when he sorta became available a while back but I knew it wouldn't happen...

the thing with upgrading the trenches through the draft and free agency is that we can actually afford to do so now since the defense (other than the line) is relatively young...the ILB's and secondary are pretty young and could hold the defensive fort down while we make the DL strong...the OL already has one stud in Tyron, so why not go and draft two more this year and grab one in FA like some of the names mentioned?

the time is now to make this franchise betterfor the long haul...I hope that JJ sees this and strengthens in the trenches - we have enough skill position players on offense, let's get better to protect them and make them more valuable

vCash
    It's too bad Jerry has the Cowboys cap in such dire straits. Right now they are going to have to make cuts just to get under the cap for next season, and have zero potential to really sign anyone that could make an impact.

That leaves this years talent acquiring to the draft, a very scary proposition

vCash
    well, like many teams, Dallas can restructure deals (paying peter to pay paul)...they can save money next season if they need it...an example is if they expect to extend Tony, then they restructure his deal for an additional 3 years and give him less money next year (including it in the 3 future years). There is always a way...but as mentioned, that could just cause problems later...I could see them not signing Spencer as a result of cap issues and I already see Jenkins playing somewhere else, although for the right deal, I would love to see him stay...(and spencer)...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast