Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 69 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Just to follow up Stone:

Jarvis Jones is an incredible football player. In two years at Georgia he’s amassed 24 sacks, flashing elite skills as a pass rusher and athletic qualities worthy of a top five pick. Yet something lingers in the background. Something that could really hamper his ambitions of playing in the NFL.

Spinal stenosis is a pretty serious condition which affects a number of football players, including Jones. It’s defined as an abnormal narrowing of the spinal canal that may occur in any of the regions of the spine. The narrowing causes a restriction to the spinal canal, resulting in a neurological deficit. Symptoms can include pain, numbness, paraesthesia and loss of motor control.

Some of the biggest names in the sport have been affected by the condition. Here are just a select few cases:

- Cooper Manning – older brother of Peyton and Eli – was diagnosed with the condition in 1992. It ended his career. Archie Manning had both other brothers tested immediately afterwards due to the severity of the issue. Neither had the condition.

- Michael Irvin retired in 1999 after receiving advice from doctors. He was diagnosed with spinal stenosis after suffering a non-life-threatening spinal injury in a game against the Philadelphia Eagles. The injury cut short a Hall of Fame career.

- Marcus McNeill was diagnosed with the condition prior to the 2006 NFL draft and it forced his fall into round two. One of the most talented offensive lineman to enter the league in recent memory was the seventh tackle to leave the board that year. At the age of just 28 he has been forced to retire, despite signing a six-year, $49 million with the Chargers after an impressive start to his pro career.

- Chris Samuels was the #3 overall pick in 2000, having built a reputation blocking for Shaun Alexander at Alabama. He spent nine years with the Washington Redskins before retiring aged 32. The reason? Samuels suffered temporary upper-body paralysis after a big hit in pass protection against the Carolina Panthers in 2009. The issue was blamed on spinal stenosis, a condition he was diagnosed with as a child. He was advised to cease playing immediately.

- Speculation suggested Rob Gronkowski had spinal stenosis after a series of back problems during his college career in Arizona. Agent Drew Rosenhaus was forced to deny the reports from NFLDraftScout.com prior to the 2010 draft. There were fears the talk could further push Gronkowski’s stock down the board, with lingering concerns over his back already leading to a second round fall.

In 2009, Jarvis Jones was playing for the USC Trojans against Oregon. He suffered a pretty routine hit, but Jones stayed on the turf with a neck injury and was pulled out of the game as a precaution. Doctors diagnosed a mild case of spinal stenosis.

USC advised Jones to stop playing football and refused to clear him for contact. His career was effectively over in Southern Cal. It was a huge blow – Jones had travelled across the country to play for Ken Norton Jr. and Pete Carroll. Both believed they had found the next great Trojan linebacker. ESPN’s Jordan Conn interviewed Norton Jr. and asked about Jones: “A lot of guys have speed, but they’re not tough. Then some guys are tough but slow. Then there are guys who have all of that but no football smarts or work ethic. Jarvis has it all. It’s not even fair.”

On the injury: “It seemed like just a regular linebacker injury, I don’t think any of us thought it’d be as serious as it turned out” notes Norton Jr. It was his last act for USC’s football programme.

Not surprisingly for a young man with so much talent and ambition, he didn’t take no for an answer. While USC were unwilling to clear him to play, other teams might be willing. Georgia coach Mark Richt forced Jones into a series of tests and examinations and the doctors cleared him to play for the Bulldogs. He’s since developed into a college football star in its most high profile conference.

Jones may face a similar situation when he turns pro. Some teams will likely adopt the approach of USC and strike his name off the board. Given the chance to speak to Jones, they may even recommend he retires to avoid serious injury. Others will take advice from doctors and if they’re given the green light, will probably look at the big plays, 20+ sacks in two years and elite athleticism and take the chance. The question is, will one of those teams take a chance in the top ten? Or will they take the chance in round two?

We’ve assumed for so long that Jones would be a high pick due to his on-field performance, but this is something we’ll have to consider seriously as we edge closer to the draft. The condition was bad enough to force Marcus McNeill into round two, but it wasn’t bad enough to stop him enjoying a productive career until the age of 28. Jones actually has another year of eligibility at Georgia, but if he turns pro in 2013 he’ll be a 24-year-old rookie. Will a team roll the dice on a top-ten pick for a talented player who might only play 4-6 years in the league? All the while risking serious injury?

It’s worth noting that there haven’t been any issues at Georgia and Jones hasn’t just played, he’s dominated. That creates a real dilemma for scouts and GM’s at the next level. He has the condition, however mild. Are you willing to be the team that puts the guys health at risk? Or do you listen to the doctors, see his body of work in college and go with a player of immense talent?

With a clean bill of health, he probably would’ve had three years at USC and waltzed into the league as a top pick. We’d be watching him on Sunday’s right now. Unfortunately that isn’t the case. And however much we enjoy watching him play for Georgia, it doesn’t necessarily mean he’s going to be the high pick everyone expects. This condition has impacted players before and it could have an impact on Jarvis Jones come next April.
    http://seahawksdraftblog.com/how-wil...es-draft-stock

TIME TO GET ANOTHER ONE. #DALLAS2DALLAS #BALLISLIFE

vCash
    Former Cleveland Browns LB Scott Fujita said the team's new 3-4 defense can work but they need to find a strong-side OLB opposite Jabaal Sheard.
    "If you have a solid Sam... who can set the edge, drop back, and rush a little bit, and a stand-up, open side end/outside linebacker like Sheard, while keeping your interior defensive linemen on half a man rather than head up, then you can have some flexibility," Fujita explained. The sixth overall selection could be a prime spot for such an addition, specifically Texas A&M's Damontre Moore or LSU's Barkevious Mingo.
    Roto

Just happy we don't have to see Scott trying to adjust to the 3-4. Good luck on your future endeavors though Scott.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    Roto

Just happy we don't have to see Scott trying to adjust to the 3-4. Good luck on your future endeavors though Scott.
    One of the smartest men to ever strap on a helmet. will be a DC very soon then a great HC.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by prodigy View Post
    One of the smartest men to ever strap on a helmet. will be a DC very soon then a great HC.
    I see him doing something more with the players union in some fashion. But he would not make a bad DC. Just wish the Browns could have gotten 2006-2008 Scott Fujita and not 2010-2012 Fujita.

vCash
    He'll be in charge of something.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

vCash
    A major topic of discussion going into the off-season for the Browns is at the linebacker position. We've all been speculating potential options at the outside/rush linebacker spot but what about inside linebacker? If they are looking to address it in the draft there are a number of good players but I would look at 2 Iowa State 'backers. Jake Knott and AJ Klein are absolute beasts!!!

vCash
    This seems like one of the tougher drafts for me to mock with no second round pick. I won't argue with getting Gordon cuz could you imagine how ugly things could have gotten. My first post in awhile so bare with me. The main thing that made Chud's offense look good in '07 was Joe jurevicious. He was mister automatic on 3rd down. So if the front office thinks we have that guy on the team then great. I would love Richard Seymour in free agency despite his age. In lies the problem....to make a bad secondary look good is a great pass rush and on the flip side a great secondary can allow a defense to send more blitzers..so I'm stuck..would have wanted jones first but Otto presented a strong case to shy away. Is Werner capable of playing 3-4 ? Will Moore be there? Elite pass rushers for a 3-4 are very tough to come by but if we don't find a FA cb can we really pass on milliner? So instead of a mock I'll say my wish list...Werner, trade next years first and get trufant, Landry jones merely cuz his unorthodox delivery reminds me of rivers..lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulaBrownsFan View Post
    This seems like one of the tougher drafts for me to mock with no second round pick. I won't argue with getting Gordon cuz could you imagine how ugly things could have gotten. My first post in awhile so bare with me. The main thing that made Chud's offense look good in '07 was Joe jurevicious. He was mister automatic on 3rd down. So if the front office thinks we have that guy on the team then great. I would love Richard Seymour in free agency despite his age. In lies the problem....to make a bad secondary look good is a great pass rush and on the flip side a great secondary can allow a defense to send more blitzers..so I'm stuck..would have wanted jones first but Otto presented a strong case to shy away. Is Werner capable of playing 3-4 ? Will Moore be there? Elite pass rushers for a 3-4 are very tough to come by but if we don't find a FA cb can we really pass on milliner? So instead of a mock I'll say my wish list...Werner, trade next years first and get trufant, Landry jones merely cuz his unorthodox delivery reminds me of rivers..lol
    I would like to give Weeden another year while drafting an OLB in the first or trading down and getting a second and drafting a FS or CB in the later first. Thoughts?
    Here comes the NEW BROWNS!!!

vCash
    I can't argue with that. Weeden is a first round pick so I believe he should get more than one year but it doesn't hurt to pick up a later round qb to ride the pine and learn for an entire year. I've always been a proponent of trading back but that's only if we can't get the olb the front office covets. I want to draft a need (without reaching) rather then bpa. I can't believe I actually wrote that. Lol

vCash
    Can Elam play free safety?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulaBrownsFan View Post
    Can Elam play free safety?
    Yes he can. I would daft one though.
    Here comes the NEW BROWNS!!!

vCash
    New to thread. Old to browns. Team needs identity and every draft presents a unique opportunity. Last time we had an opportunity to take advantage of the draft was when we squandered 2 picks in 2nd round on departed Robiske and soon to be departed Massaquoi. Missed out on obtaining 2 of the 3 stud USC linebackers that year still wreaking havoc in the league. This year's USC line backing corps is Alabama's O Line. There are 3 players that will be stars on that line. Browns should trade out of the 6th spot to get a first and 2nd or St. Louis' 2 picks and take Warmack, the man who blots out the sun and can't find a shirt to fit, and Barrett Jones, the man who starred at 3 positions in 3 years. Put them at left and right guard and tell the rest of the league that we are going to hand the ball off to Richardson 300+ times. Run to set up the pass. This would give the team an identity that works well in the AFC Central. We can't keep floundering around. That's why I chose Ozziecomehome as an identity. Ozzie knows how to have a plan and work that plan. He always figures out the strength of a draft and plays to that strength. Thomas, Warmack, Mack, Jones & Schwartz. What a dream!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozziecomehome View Post
    New to thread. Old to browns. Team needs identity and every draft presents a unique opportunity. Last time we had an opportunity to take advantage of the draft was when we squandered 2 picks in 2nd round on departed Robiske and soon to be departed Massaquoi. Missed out on obtaining 2 of the 3 stud USC linebackers that year still wreaking havoc in the league. This year's USC line backing corps is Alabama's O Line. There are 3 players that will be stars on that line. Browns should trade out of the 6th spot to get a first and 2nd or St. Louis' 2 picks and take Warmack, the man who blots out the sun and can't find a shirt to fit, and Barrett Jones, the man who starred at 3 positions in 3 years. Put them at left and right guard and tell the rest of the league that we are going to hand the ball off to Richardson 300+ times. Run to set up the pass. This would give the team an identity that works well in the AFC Central. We can't keep floundering around. That's why I chose Ozziecomehome as an identity. Ozzie knows how to have a plan and work that plan. He always figures out the strength of a draft and plays to that strength. Thomas, Warmack, Mack, Jones & Schwartz. What a dream!
    Really, you want 5 guys on the line that are 4 1st round picks and a 2nd. Have fun with all those extensions and how much money you are putting into a non impact position in football besides LT not too mention addressing the teams bigger needs on the defensive end. Lauvoa is the only player that I can see getting replaced on the line and that is still a huge question mark for that to happen.

Remember who you have coming in here and what they have continually said in their PC's. This team is going to be a vertical attacking offense and aggressive attacking defense. There is your identity right there. Not putting all of your eggs into the offensive line.

Welcome btw even though I hate your user name already.
    Last edited by ottograham14; 02-04-2013 at 03:14 PM.

vCash
    1/6: Cleveland Browns: Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
    The Browns could use a pass-rusher on the other side from Jabaal Sheard and an improvement at outside linebacker. Picking Ansah could address both. Cleveland plans on running a hybrid 4-3 and 3-4, so a player like Ansah who can play both end and rush linebacker makes sense.

Many are raving about the potential of the 6-foot-6, 270-pound Ansah. The senior totaled 62 tackles, 13 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, nine passes broken up, one forced fumble and one interception in 2012. He exploded this season after recording a grand total of only 10 tackles as a junior and sophomore.

There is no doubt that Ansah has a great combination of size, speed, strength and athletic ability. He could be this year's version of Chandler Jones or Jason Pierre-Paul. Both those players had little college production, but are great athletes who flew up draft boards.

Pick change; previously Barkevious Mingo, OLB
    Interesting pick with Mingo still on the board according to the mock.
    3/68: Cleveland Browns: Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas
    The Browns should continue to build up talent at wide receiver for Brandon Weeden.

Hamilton (6-1, 199) was the No. 1 receiver for quarterback Tyler Wilson in 2012 since Jarius Wright, Joe Adams and Greg Childs all moved on to the NFL. Hamilton totaled 90 receptions for 1,335 yards and five touchdowns. The senior had 10 catches for 303 yards and three scores against Rutgers with other big days versus Ole Miss and Texas A&M. He didn't stand out at the Senior Bowl and checked in smaller than advertised.

Hamilton caught 34 passes for 542 yards and four touchdowns in 2011. He made 32 receptions for 630 yards and six scores as a sophomore.

Pick change; previously Tank Carradine, DE
    Interesting going with WR this early. Essentially the Browns would have drafted a WR in 2 and 3 if it plays out like this.

-Walterfootball.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brownies236 View Post
    Interesting pick with Mingo still on the board according to the mock.

Interesting going with WR this early. Essentially the Browns would have drafted a WR in 2 and 3 if it plays out like this.

-Walterfootball.com
    Walter is all over the map all the time especially with the Browns when it comes to rounds 2-7. He really doesn't seem to understand what the team did the previous year unless there was name recognition associated with it. He said in a previous mock that Gordon was good but the team has no other WR to go with him which points to me that he has no understanding of the way Little played in the second half.

Page 15 of 69 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast