Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

The Mirage That Fooled The F.O.

The season came to a sad but expected end. For the past few years I have been watching this team play. Some games they showed glimpses of greatness. Then there were the other games where it left me wondering if these were the same Jets. Nevertheless it still had me excited to watch this team play but it was a guilty sort of excitedness. As if it was empty. Never really felt comfortable with their success. I think the front office had been fooled by that success. Thinking this team made it to two AFC Championship games and we were just one or two players away from making it to the big game. So the front office never made any meaningful moves to solidify the team and really get some depth. Instead they kept plugging players in like I mentioned in my previous post. This team needs much deeper changes than players. I still don't think Sanchez was the problem. Although I'm not his biggest fan, I don't think it was him.

The front office and the owner needed to see this team crash and burn. It's everything else. You need a dramatic failure to make any kind of change that makes a difference. As much as I hate to see my favorite team lose and be made into a media circus, this team needed it. I kept saying it since two seasons ago. They were drunk off the success this is where it got us. It finally took a bismol season to fire Tannenbaum who has no idea how to evaluate talent. He has his strong assets but talent evaluation and team building are not one of them. Sparano was the same as Scotty. No creativity. At the end of it all, I think this is just the beginning of something meaningful. Finally. Woody is finally stepping up to make moves. I am more excited about this offseason than any previous ones. Can't wait. I won't miss Bart Scott. Can't wait.

Lets get the ball rolling and build a team. Not just a bunch of has beens

vCash
    I think you are paying in some regards for those drafts at the beginning when you had only 7 picks in 2 years in terms of the depth. If you look at the two major trades made, I have no problems with the Sanchez trade in the 2009 draft. You needed, at the time, at young, future, franchise QB and in round 1 that year, Stafford (who you knew was going #1 overall to Detroit), Sanchez, and Freeman were it. You knew Sanchez wasn't going to be around when you got to #17 and you had to wonder even if Freeman was going to be. So you had to make some kind of a big move in that regards and thanks to Eric Mangini, it cost you WELL BELOW what it should have.

Where I had the problem that year was when they traded 3 picks for RB Shonn Greene. I don't hate Greene, but in today's NFL, the RB position is the easiest to fill. Unless you are moving up for a guy like Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster, or Ray Rice type stud back, you either sit tight and let one fall (and yes, you can take one in round 1) or you take one later on in the draft. Consider some of these good backs in today's NFL and in the past:

Arian Foster-- Undrafted
    Alfred Morris-- 6th round pick
    Frank Gore-- 3rd round pick
    Fred Jackson-- Undrafted
    Michael Turner-- 5th round
    PSD's Sheldon Richardson!!!

vCash
    Which is exactly my point. Talent evaluation just isn't there. I think not only talent but players motives matter a lot. If a player is a freakish athlete and has great talent doesn't necessarily translate to a great player unless the motivation to play exist. Ghosting had no motivation to play. We had the same concern with Coples. Although its too early to tell about Coples. But the players they were drafting just do not seem motivated. They were picking players based on their physical size.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I think you are paying in some regards for those drafts at the beginning when you had only 7 picks in 2 years in terms of the depth. If you look at the two major trades made, I have no problems with the Sanchez trade in the 2009 draft. You needed, at the time, at young, future, franchise QB and in round 1 that year, Stafford (who you knew was going #1 overall to Detroit), Sanchez, and Freeman were it. You knew Sanchez wasn't going to be around when you got to #17 and you had to wonder even if Freeman was going to be. So you had to make some kind of a big move in that regards and thanks to Eric Mangini, it cost you WELL BELOW what it should have.

Where I had the problem that year was when they traded 3 picks for RB Shonn Greene. I don't hate Greene, but in today's NFL, the RB position is the easiest to fill. Unless you are moving up for a guy like Adrian Peterson, Arian Foster, or Ray Rice type stud back, you either sit tight and let one fall (and yes, you can take one in round 1) or you take one later on in the draft. Consider some of these good backs in today's NFL and in the past:

Arian Foster-- Undrafted
    Fred Jackson-- Undrafted

To be fair, Greene was a 1st round projected talent whose stock suffered due to his reputation and off field problems. For that reason I loved the pick itself.

With that being said, if not mistaken we had those 2 and only those 2 picks the whole draft. Leaving no picks for depth whatsoever, and 4 years since that draft we are no paying for it.

Way back in the stands, you can see my Wife holding my son on the ledge at his first Green and White scrimmage...circa 2013...aka "The Transformation" year into greatness! That's right Emryk...you saw the beginning stages of JETS Greatness first hand!

vCash

Greene a system back

His early success was running inside/outside zone. He'd be a great back in the Redskin/Texan system. He isn't a stud back that can carry a team. I think that system would also benefit sanchez who has shown he can throw on the run. Heck bring in Kyle Shanahan to work with Sanchez and revamp the offense (if norv doesn't work out)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post

Arian Foster-- Undrafted
    Fred Jackson-- Undrafted
    Finding a top stud back is a guessing game. I think you list shows that. I think where you pick a back only going to determine if he is called a bust or not. QBs are the same way... The jets need so many more things than a guy that will be called a franchize QB .. Sancez can be a serviceable QB given tools. He may not throw for 4000 yards and 40 TDs, but he has shown he can win with support of a team around him. All the turn-overs are something to worry about, but, when you see a Qb take 11 sacks you start worrying more about getting a guy killed. sanchez spent a whole season trying to force the ball to receivers that couldnt get open. the jets were 2 and 1 when holmes went down, they never replaced him and spent the whole rest of the season wondering what is wrong with sanchez. PEOPLE Just don't get it... Sanchez spent the whole season trying to throw to covered receivers, because there were no alternitives.