Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What do you do with Melton?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Re-sign him to a big money contract, risk losing out on other re-signings and/or FA signings

6 27.27%
  • Franchise Tag and Keep

7 31.82%
  • Tag and Trade (specify the trade proposal)

6 27.27%
  • Other...if there is an other

3 13.64%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

What do you do with Melton?

I keep seeing all these possible predictions for Henry Melton..why not make a poll for it? Whatever you select, give a reason as to why you chose it.

vCash
    Resign him and make him a cornerstone to build around.

vCash
    I want to keep him, but if he asks for a monster contract and someone else is willing to pay it and give up some serious picks out may be worth it to trade him. We've all seen how big contracts can hamstring us with Peppers. Great player, but killing our cap.

vCash
    I want the Bears to resign him to a 4/5 yr deal, but in fear of him looking for huge money that can't be negotiated to his liking...I chose tag him

Abide!

vCash
    That poll is pretty biased lol.

But won't we be unable to sign anybody even if we tag him?

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    Kill him.
    How I Feel reading Cliff Stein's Contracts:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Kill him.
    I completely agree. What other choice to we really have???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Kill him.
    This genuinely made me laugh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j11430 View Post
    This genuinely made me laugh
    Me too, I think it's because after seeing debo' s avatar I pictured Adam from workaholics saying it lol

We need Melton, the only time our D was really good is when we had a healthy Tommie Harris and last season with Melton finally knowing how to play his position. If we don't have Melton I think our D will be average at best.
    Silence the Haters

vCash
    If he asks for something ridiculous, I'd look to move him for a good offer. (Hopefully Jerry Jones would overpay..)

I dunno, I'm still hesitant to pay a DT huge sums of money after Tommie Harris...

Plus, if we could get say two or three draft picks in a package for him, I'm all for it. Nothing excites me more than building through the draft.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Ok, I voted for a "tag & trade", and here's why:

I love Melton, and think he's a great fit for Lovie's T2. He's a smaller, quick DT. Since Hot Rod isn't here, I'm worried about his development. Will he be put in the same situation to succeed under Tucker as he was with Hot Rod? I would trade Melton to Dallas. Jerry is becoming the next Al Davis. If we could get a 1st & a 3rd rounders for this upcoming draft, it would help with the Oline, (since we will be a "O" first type team) and possibly land a good LB as well.

We would be losing developed talent, but we wouldn't have to pay for it, either.

Since Trestman is the new HC, this team probably will be different in a couple years anyway. If the Bears would have retained Hot Rod, I would be willing to give Melton a nice contract.

vCash
    Slanted much in these poll options? Lol

Lets not act like Melton is some middling player trying to parlay a contract year. Over the past 2 seasons only Atkins has been definitively better than Melton as an UT. Melton is the building block to transition the D. We can't let him go IMO.

vCash
    Keep him.

He's still pretty young (26 IIRC) and has only improved these last 2 years. You don't just throw that away for draft picks and additional cap space, especially when you consider the age of every other impact player on this D.

vCash
    Not signing him would be a mistake

Our greatest glory is not in never failing. But rather in rising back up every time we do.

Find ya boi on twitter @MajorJensen33

vCash
    "Re-sign him to a big money contract, risk losing out on other re-signings and/or FA signings"

I reject the implications of this option. I believe he can be signed for a fair contract and still have the ablity to build the team through FA and draft. While he is a great player who had a great year, the Tampa 2 prototype DT is not at a premium throughout the league. No one with a 3 man front is going to bid on him, no one that likes bigger tackles on a 4 man front is going to invest a lot in him, so how many teams are left that want that type of player and has the financial freedom to pay top dollar?

I am not saying he will be cheap but I still think reasonable is possible.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast