Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    I have never stated any absolutes. I game my opinion that Romo would be a better option then the draft. Usually QBs take a while to develop and I don't think any rookie QB has ever won the Super Bowl. Maybe I'm wrong and there is a better option in college for next year. We do have 3 rookies in the playoffs right now.
    I am open to everything. You are the one that seems hell bent on convincing everyone that Romo can't win the big games. I'm not defending Romo. I'm just telling you that things can change. Will they? I don't know.

When we were talking about " risks" you started to talk about economics. I think JJ understands economics so don't worry about the risks of keeping Romo. He might be a bad G.M. but he's a smart business man.
    1. Post #162 was absolutes, granted sarcasm employed.

2. You've been arguing that it's too early to "Write a QB's career". An absolute statement.

3. Romo has had chances, it's not like he's a rookie. How many chances does one need?

4. Do you really think we are 1 piece away from the puzzle? Because from your stance you're implying that a rookie QB in 2013, has an impossible chance to win the SB, thus showing that you believe the Cowboys are only a minor improvement away from the Super Bowl victory. This is where we are going to disagree. I believe the Cowboys have deeper problems than the surface.

5. Correct, no rookie QB has ever won the SB.

6. Going off of #4 you're using the theory that because it hasn't happened it won't happen, yet your arguing that theory against me when it deals with Romo.

Example: If you play roulette and the outcome on 5 spins has been black each time the common theory is "it's got to come up red on the next one because it's been black so many times". That's a fallacious way of looking at things. The chance to come up red or black has the same probability, it's our emotional context that thinks fairness and equality will rise. There's absolutely 0 statistical evidence to prove Red will come up on spin 6.

The same example can be used for and against Romo, i've stated this before. My analysis on Romo is far deeper than the average because i look at things differently. I tied in intangibles, personality traits, many of the things you can't measure with numbers. Am I a prophet? Absolutely not, and this ultimately comes down to personal opinion. I try to base mine on realism and objectivity rather than just emotion.

Do you think I'd like to see Romo get the critics, including myself off his back? Absolutely, why? Because I'm a fan of the Cowboys. I could care less if Romo, Orton, Grossman, Leaf, or some rookie is taking the snaps as long as we win.

Do I want to see Peyton, Brady, and Rey each win another SB? Yes, absolutely, because i like personally like them, not their team.

7. Economics is "a social science concerned chiefly with description and analysis of the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services "

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/economics

This is not just revenue, but how and why people do what they do. I've studied Economics for years. Econ is centered around prediction based on precedent. No one is right all the time. The economic theories Jones is employing are eventually going to crumble. Read my earlier posts about the size and scope.

"
    No Idea Why Ines Sainz Was Her assed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    A Rod did lead them in 2009. He carried them. He batted over 400 and had a OPS of 1500. Did the same thing in the next round. He hit walk off Hrs!
    A ROD WAS CLUTCH THAT YEAR!
    Deal with it
    ALDS & ALCS numbers. Stop cherry picking. You're here to bait and argue mute points. You could have had a serious debate, but you chose to go this route. I've wasted enough time.

"

vCash
    OK, so with the current structure of the team, would you choose Option A, Option B, Option C (or if you have an option D, let's hear it).

I have read all of the debate going back-n-forth on Romo and whether he can win in Dallas. So the three options are A: keep Romo, B: Last Year for Romo or C: Trade Romo now

My Take

A: Keep Romo
    Transactions: Restructure his deal (to save money this season); give him 3 year extension for a total of $48m for 4 years (includes the up-coming season, $36, guaranteed); Build the OLine in front of him through FA and the draft (minimally with a 1st round pick this draft);
    Result: It would be Dallas' last chance to use their potential HOF players before they shrivel up (Ware, Witten); It would also be "put up or shut up" time for Romo

B: Last Year for Romo
    Transactions: You DON'T extend Tony and let him play for a contract, knowing as a FO that he won't be on the team in 2014; Draft (in this draft) the best QB to fit the mold in 2nd or 3rd round; Build the OLine in front of him through FA and minimally with a 1st round pick in this draft;
    Result: Hopefully, Tony has a dynamic year and gets himself over the hump. Let that rookie QB sit as 3rd string behing Tony and Kyle and LEARN the system. Regardless, we have built the OLine and 2014 sees an improvement up front offensively, making the transition to the rookie much easier as they have watched and learned and have seen the OLine in action

C: Trade Tony now
    Transactions: Trade Tony to a team like the Bears or whomever and get a 1st and 3rd for him (minimally); I believe he is worth more than that, but let's just assume a 1st and 3rd; Build the OLine in front of him through FA and minimally with a 1st round pick in this draft; with one of the two 1st rounders, you grab the best QB that is around
    Result: You have essentially changed the dynamic of the Dallas Cowboys from a gun-slinging team to a ball control team (as most rookies would need to be when they start); rely on the defense to keep the games low-scoring so that the rookie can learn; In this scenario, it is likely that Orton starts the season as the starter and the rookie works his way in at some point (there isn't a luck or rg3 to step in)

Which of these 3 scenarios gives you the best chance at a chance at a superbowl? Are you willing to give up the best chance at winning in 2014 to keep tony and win in 2013? I am actually on the fence. The common thread for this post is fixing the OLine and I have to believe in the 3-year plan an d that the FO will do that. If they do, then the team, including ROMO have no more excuses left in their bucket of excuses. Here is a re-cap:

Option A: Status quo - but you get Tony the OL and see if it makes a difference; we would have Tony going forward which keeps the stat guys happy; not sure if it changes anything in the organization unless they truly get a great OL working

Option B: Final hurrah - while I believe B is the best approach, it is probably the most difficult to do. If tony is not extended, then he has a LARGE salary for this season which may make it difficult to get that FA OLineman that I want. but, giving him his last shot as a cowboy could help the team move forward for future seasons

Option C: Do over - Trading Tony for draft picks is actually enticing for me; if I thought the FO wouldn't goon it up, I might lean towards this option right now; we would get a QB for the future and enough picks to allow the change to be successful...heck, I wouldn't mind if we could sucker some team into their 1st this year and their 1st next year

thoughts?
    Last edited by Fred; 01-06-2013 at 09:57 AM.

vCash
    I agree that these are the bases for a the options we have available. I might tweak a couple things, but sold on the format.

If it was me I'd be looking at Option C with some tweaks. I'm an old school guy so i enjoy the balanced approach. I actually wanted this option a few years ago when Ware, Witten, Romo and others were younger because i felt Romo's stock was at it's highest.

"

vCash
    do you sleep? 4:30 am and then now?

vCash
    haha early workout had me up

"

vCash
    and good for you...I like the idea of getting a workout, but then my body says WTF are you thinking????

vCash
    hahah i know what you mean

"

vCash
    btw, yes I was serious about my cat having a facebook account...just to bust balls with my family...my cat has a lot of anger management issues

vCash
    lol!

"

vCash
    It really depends on how much we can get for Romo. If we get two first rounders we would have to take it. JJs track record of Qbs isn't very pretty. I think we all know the list of QBs between Aikman and Romo. Thats why I wouldn't mind keeping Romo for a little while.

vCash
    That's why we need a Jimmy Johnson mastermind type....the casual fan on this board isn't going to be able to engineer what would be best for this organization. We just know what's wrong and maybe some of the basic stuff.

Last year, I was really intrigued by Peyton Manning and he probably would have solved some big problems in terms of our current crop of vets that need to win now. or we could have made a bold move by trading a lot to grab RGIII. This is where I don't think the organization should make the emotional move and just dump Romo. You would be getting him for a low price...he'll just go somewhere and probably do way better on a better run organization. I would say he's a talented Qb with some flaws...but certainly better than a lot of these QBs that aren't starter material. This is probably why I was annoyed with Jerry.... he looked at New England and for years refused to go high at the QB position. We shouldn't even be in this position right now. For some reason, Jerry was fixated on tradign high for a wide receiver or soem of the other positions. It's this type of tunnel vision based on his past hurts rather than a surehanded GM who will evaluate the drat and take the most talented, not just for need or make up for past mistakes. If there's a stud in the draft, I'd rather get that stud than just pick up whatever hole we have. The stud could be here for a decade.... that ok need player might funnel out of the system as they did in that crap 2009 draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    OK, so with the current structure of the team, would you choose Option A, Option B, Option C (or if you have an option D, let's hear it).
    Option C

If I could get a 1st and 3rd then its a no brainer. Especially if the pick is top 10.

Romo has too many skeletons in this closet to come out on top. He needs a change of scenery as much as any player in the NFL. He has proved to us that he cannot deliver as a Dallas Cowboys, all of the personnel issues aside. He can't deliver. Time and Time again, he can't deliver.

I would much rather trade for Tebow and draft a QB like Tyler Bray/Mike Glennon/Landry Jones in the 2nd. So the depth chart looks like
    Orton/Tebow/Rookie Draft pick.

This way we could use our two 1sts on OL and DT.

We might be able to get KC's 1st and 3rd which is #3 overall. Also Oakland is an option at #4. But realistically Arizona at #7 could be a destination.

Regardless, if we could get a top 10 pick we could potentially land
    #7. Star Lotulelei (DT)
    #18. Chance Warmack (OG)

Also I am serious when I say this, but we need to resign Spencer and I know I might be crucified for this but I would not hesitate to offer Ware in a deal to land a 1st. There are a ton of 1st round DE's/OLB's who are exceptional prospects... With our ILB's and Spencer we can rebuild a bit and shed cap.

I was all for Romo even with his abysmal start to the season, but the last game was hard to swallow. Its Romo. Ware is becoming more and more fragile with every year. Maybe we can sway a team to take his contract. Which is very team friendly next year but back-loaded after that.

In the end I can see Jerry trading or cutting Ratliff/Austin/Free and moving on from Jenkins and Bernadeau.

vCash
    I like some of this, especially the QB plan. I don't see this team winning a Super Bowl next year regardless of who's on the team, so using next year as a way to regroup and build by trading Romo is a nice concept imo.

I don't agree with Spencer because he's always been sort of an underachiever and his new contract is based on a solid performance in a contract year. If he was playing at this caliber for the previous 2 seasons i'd be on board 100%.

And i wouldn't mind gauging the trade interest of Ware. I'm still 85% sure he's going to come back strong so i'm not sold on trading him, but all of that depends on 2 things:

1. Our ability to utilize the draft correctly

2. What kind of return we could yield on trading Ware.

"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bhooks80 View Post
    Option C

If I could get a 1st and 3rd then its a no brainer. Especially if the pick is top 10.

Romo has too many skeletons in this closet to come out on top. He needs a change of scenery as much as any player in the NFL. He has proved to us that he cannot deliver as a Dallas Cowboys, all of the personnel issues aside. He can't deliver. Time and Time again, he can't deliver.

I would much rather trade for Tebow and draft a QB like Tyler Bray/Mike Glennon/Landry Jones in the 2nd. So the depth chart looks like
    Orton/Tebow/Rookie Draft pick.

This way we could use our two 1sts on OL and DT.

We might be able to get KC's 1st and 3rd which is #3 overall. Also Oakland is an option at #4. But realistically Arizona at #7 could be a destination.

Regardless, if we could get a top 10 pick we could potentially land
    #7. Star Lotulelei (DT)
    #18. Chance Warmack (OG)

Also I am serious when I say this, but we need to resign Spencer and I know I might be crucified for this but I would not hesitate to offer Ware in a deal to land a 1st. There are a ton of 1st round DE's/OLB's who are exceptional prospects... With our ILB's and Spencer we can rebuild a bit and shed cap.

I was all for Romo even with his abysmal start to the season, but the last game was hard to swallow. Its Romo. Ware is becoming more and more fragile with every year. Maybe we can sway a team to take his contract. Which is very team friendly next year but back-loaded after that.

In the end I can see Jerry trading or cutting Ratliff/Austin/Free and moving on from Jenkins and Bernadeau.
    I like ur thinkin...wish wed do that im still undecided about Spencer.. I think the don may be right sbout him he admitted hes not always motivated and since it was a contract yr that motivated him do we take that risk and give him all that money im not sure but he at least we didnt overpay him before his contract yr he earned it if we do sign him

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast