Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Up The Middle

vCash

Up The Middle

We have a chance to have an overall better defense over the long term as D'Arnaud takes over the catching position by mid year. Tejada, Davis and Wright are solid defenders and if no other trades are made for a CFer the platoon of Nieuwenhuis and Cowgill should be solid though not spectacular. The outfield corners remain a concern...Duda is best hidden in LF though you know that the Mets will be serious about winning when Duda gets traded to a team who needs a 1Bman/DH type. His power potential and minimal salary means he is staying put for awhile. Will Murphy continue to improve his defense?...can he learn to play at the proper depth so his range and arm are maximized? Or does SA trade him to a team that needs a thirdbaseman/fifth infielder and get a true speedy leadoff hitter?
    Last edited by rdg515; 12-31-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Good post and some very good questions.

I've been thinking about Murphy to Toronto (plus a prospect, probably) for Emilio Bonifacio, who's got a good glove in the OF and planty of speed to lead off. Since Sandy didn't expand the Dickey trade to include Boni, I guess he isn't that interested. If Murphy got traded, I'd like to see a Spin/Flores platoon at 2B.

Duda will always be a concern in the outfield, unless he develops into a 30+ HR guy. It's amazing how much mediocre fielding is tolerated in a slugger.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    vCash
    I really hope we never see Duda in a Mets uniform again.

Guy is just awful

Hoping that second half last year for Nieuwenhuis wasn't the real him, he looked completely over matched

vCash
    Kirk can be a solid all-around player. I think he will make the adjustments next year and K less.

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Kirk can be a solid all-around player. I think he will make the adjustments next year and K less.
    I think so too, something was wrong with him, it was too much of a dramatic drop off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmantrash View Post
    I think so too, something was wrong with him, it was too much of a dramatic drop off.
    He's not going to hit for a high average, I'm hoping for a .260/.330/.430 type of line from him with solid CF defense. I don't want him to be platooned either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    He's not going to hit for a high average, I'm hoping for a .260/.330/.430 type of line from him with solid CF defense. I don't want him to be platooned either.
    Considering he was 11 for 61 with only 1 XBH against LHP's last season, it doesn't seem like he can handle an everyday role. I know it was his rookie year, but IMO he just strikes out way too much and does not come anywhere close to making up for it with his power.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    Considering he was 11 for 61 with only 1 XBH against LHP's last season, it doesn't seem like he can handle an everyday role. I know it was his rookie year, but IMO he just strikes out way too much and does not come anywhere close to making up for it with his power.
    Let him get an entire season in 2013 before determining this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    At this point Kirk is destined to platoon with Cowgill, at least until he proves he can handle lefties. Meanwhile, together they should make one very effective center fielder.

If Kirk can learn to be more selective at the plate he'll be a good hitter, above average for a CF imo. He can be a 15-20 HR/35-45 2Bs guy. He just needs to improve his pitch recognition and stop swinging wildly at balls out of the zone. I know . . easier said than done. But with good coaching, experience and maturity he can do it.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    That's very optimistic. He swings and misses far too much to have that many extra base hits. I see 15 HR and 30 2B as a possibility.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    At this point Kirk is destined to platoon with Cowgill, at least until he proves he can handle lefties. Meanwhile, together they should make one very effective center fielder.

If Kirk can learn to be more selective at the plate he'll be a good hitter, above average for a CF imo. He can be a 15-20 HR/35-45 2Bs guy. He just needs to improve his pitch recognition and stop swinging wildly at balls out of the zone. I know . . easier said than done. But with good coaching, experience and maturity he can do it.
    I think platooning should be used more often, it's a great way to get maximum production from a position. A Cowgill/Nieuwenhuis or Den Dekker platoon would (imo) be very effective as all 3 players hit much better against their opposite sides. I know I'm probably stating the obvious, but I think sometimes fans get so hell bent on regulars that they miss the simple fact that two complimentary players can be much more productive than one regular. It worked for Gil Hodges who had platoons at 5 positions.

vCash
    If we don't have the pieces to succeed in everyday roles...then I platooning is the way to go.

-Sign Hairston
    -Platoon Hairston/Duda in LF.
    -Platoon Cowgill/Kirk in CF.
    -Mix in Baxter as well.

Now, IMO this plan would work fine IF we had at least one legit everday RF/LFer (Corey Hart for example).

Instead, if looks like we are rolling with some sort of combination of Duda, Baxter, Kirk, Cowgill, Valdespin and possibly Hairston (the only realistic OF signing that would make any sense for this team right now).
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    I think Alderson gets some cheap older/experienced arms for the bullpen, probably re-signs Hairston (giving him most of the RF at bats) and maybe a starter/swingman/or first starter called from AAA (like they did with Dickey, Misch, Figueroa)then goes into ST with what he has and see with his eyes what he has in 2013.

I don't think we know good or bad about Duda, Nieuwenhuis, Baxter, Cowgill, and Valdespin in the outfield, or Edgin, Carson, and Familia in the bullpen. (Mejia could get shot at the 5th spot)

Then wait until mid-March when other teams have too many outfielders, starters or relievers, and pick up pieces at lower costs.

vCash
    Oy.

How many days until Ps and Cs?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by METMANYAK View Post
    I think platooning should be used more often, it's a great way to get maximum production from a position. A Cowgill/Nieuwenhuis or Den Dekker platoon would (imo) be very effective as all 3 players hit much better against their opposite sides. I know I'm probably stating the obvious, but I think sometimes fans get so hell bent on regulars that they miss the simple fact that two complimentary players can be much more productive than one regular. It worked for Gil Hodges who had platoons at 5 positions.
    It also worked with Mookie and Lenny....HoJo and Knight...Backman and Teufel.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast