Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    School in Hoboken, home in Rockland County, NY
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    But nothing he saw last year should have given rise to a need to extend Sanchez. He still had this year to "see if he develops". Now we are looking at a wasted 2013. This is on him.
    I'm not saying it isn't, look at the post to which I'm responding. What I'm saying is that it was the right move, for him, personally, to extend Sanchez. He could only keep his job if Sanchez performed this year. If Sanchez performed this year, the extension would have been a good idea. So there were two possible outcomes: Either he loses his GM job, which would have happened regardless of the extension, or the extension would be a good idea. Clearly making it the right move for him.

Thus, this extension doesn't change the fact that he is very good at working the cap to his advantage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by afmanic View Post
    Rex's problem is his mouth. He should have used it to call guys out on their play. Sanchez, Scott, OL, etc. We need leaders on this team.
    Throwing people under the bus doesn't show that someone is a leader. It shows that they're a loser. Leaders lead by example, and keep it in the locker room.

With the exception of maybe Cromartie, there is no one on this team who has the right to point fingers.

How do you know that Rex wasn't calling guys out when there weren't any reporters around?

That's probably where Mehta's story came from. Some loser on the team didn't like being called out, and chose to screw Rex.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan28 View Post
    I'm not saying it isn't, look at the post to which I'm responding. What I'm saying is that it was the right move, for him, personally, to extend Sanchez. He could only keep his job if Sanchez performed this year. If Sanchez performed this year, the extension would have been a good idea. So there were two possible outcomes: Either he loses his GM job, which would have happened regardless of the extension, or the extension would be a good idea. Clearly making it the right move for him.

Thus, this extension doesn't change the fact that he is very good at working the cap to his advantage.
    How did he do that this year? Who did he sign that gave the Jets an advantage?
    Twitter: SteveMcG87

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraPoint View Post
    How did he do that this year? Who did he sign that gave the Jets an advantage?
    He was able to cut down Sanchez's cap number significantly this year, allowing them to retain a bunch of role players that he wouldn't have been able to retain otherwise (Eric Smith, Mike DeVito, and Sione Pouha stand out) while also signing two new starting safeties, both of whom were more expensive than the guys they replaced, and also leaving about $5 million in cap room that will carry over to next year, which will be extremely helpful, and also allowing him to claim someone off waivers like he did with Braylon, which could have been helpful. He lost almost nothing from last year, when the Jets were a borderline playoff team, while having enough money to upgrade at safety and leave the team with a bit of flexibility.

Whether you think those were good personnel moves is irrelevant, because that's not what's being discussed, but it's clearly good use of the cap.
    Last edited by jetsfan28; 12-31-2012 at 01:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    So you missed the part where he said that he didn't protect the football? Did you miss the part where he said that he was disappointed with how he played and that it wasn't good enough? Did you miss everything that didn't fuel your hate?

Yeah, he said "we" as well because the whole team played like horse ****. Oh, and FYI...Sanchez was way too classy to throw his teammates under the bus AGAIN when he was asked about Tebow's presence.

Funny how you don't take offense to Tebow saying almost the exact same words.

As much as I hope the Jets can find a trade partner to take Sanchez, there is a part of me that hopes he'll be here next year starting...just to piss you off. That would be AWWWWWWWWESOMMMMMMMEEEEE. Yeah, I'm an evil ****.
    Who cares about what Tebow says..nobody cares

And besides no it would not surprise me if Mark is starting next year again...they'll probably say it's the new and improved 250lbs jacked up Mark Sanchez...much smarter! They can pull whatever gimmick they want the kid's not a NFL starting qb.tanny was stupid to give the kid a big contract like that......besides our other option is Alex Smith.....how good will he be under Soprano?? (assuming he stays)
    Last edited by MetsFan125; 12-31-2012 at 01:15 AM.

Moh Town!

vCash
    He was able to cut down Sanchez's cap number significantly this year, allowing them to retain a bunch of role players that he wouldn't have been able to retain otherwise (Eric Smith, Mike DeVito, and Sione Pouha stand out) while also signing two new starting safeties, both of whom were more expensive than the guys they replaced, and also leaving about $5 million in cap room that will carry over to next year, which will be extremely helpful, and also allowing him to claim someone off waivers like he did with Braylon, which could have been helpful. He lost almost nothing from last year, when the Jets were a borderline playoff team, while having enough money to upgrade at safety and leave the team with a bit of flexibility.

Whether you think those were good personnel moves is irrelevant, because that's not what's being discussed, but it's clearly good use of the cap
    When Tanny made this deal with Sanchez, I thought it was a great idea because it basically spread Sanchez's cap hit for 2012 over 2 years to gain flexibility, while making a commitment to the guy he drafted in 2009.

That was absolutely the right thing to do. I said it then, and I will say it now. As a finance guy, I will never condemn Tanny for restructuring Mark's deal.

The problem is what he did next. He replaced a legit backup QB with Tebow (most likely Woody's fault, but still).

Then with $8MM of cap space left to upgrade the offense, Tanny did what? NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know that broken look you've all seen on Sanchez's face this year?

That's him wondering why he helped the team by restructuring his contract if they weren't going to surround him with talent. After all, I'm sure that's what they promised him.

Oh yeah, everyone talks about how Tebow was lied to, but NO ONE has ever talked about how Sanchez was lied to.

"We'll guarantee your money over 2 years, instead of 1, so that we can use your 2012 money to help you win."

Sachez's agent had the smarts and foresight to put a poison pill in the deal to make sure that his client wouldn't get hung out to dry in 2012. He made it so that the Jets can't afford to cut Mark loose and just take the $8MM cap hit.

Tanny rolled the dice on his belief that by improving the defense would keep the team competitive enough in 2012 so that the team would be able to reuse his unspent money against the 2013 cap.

Then Holmes and Revis got hurt. Keller got hurt. Hill (his drafted "weapon") got hurt. Tanny chose to take another calculated risk. He didn't spend that $8MM on a WR like TO, Ocho, or anyone else available and justified his actions based on their known character flaws.

While Holmes and Revis were lost for the year, Hill and Keller were day to day, and he'd have enough to make it work. He didn't. Both of them were hurt or otherwise useless for most of the season.

Tanny took a lot of risks this year, and they all failed. While he gets a pass on Tebow, there was too much else done to show that the "cap guru" had taken a lot of risks in 2012 to win in 2013, but the risks came back to bite him in the @$$.

Now the team might be screwed in 2013 as well because Tanny risked 2012 and failed. You can't give the guy who did that another shot to **** it up.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Throwing people under the bus doesn't show that someone is a leader. It shows that they're a loser. Leaders lead by example, and keep it in the locker room.

With the exception of maybe Cromartie, there is no one on this team who has the right to point fingers.

How do you know that Rex wasn't calling guys out when there weren't any reporters around?

That's probably where Mehta's story came from. Some loser on the team didn't like being called out, and chose to screw Rex.
    ^^ True.... coaches rarely if ever call ppl out individually. if a safety gets beat all day long a coach is gonna say we need to defend better on the back end or a team is running right all day he wont call out the left side of the d-line just say we need to get better push up front.
    to ur point i think BIg Mo has played well enough to point if he wanted to

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan125 View Post
    Who cares about what Tebow says..nobody cares

And besides no it would not surprise me if Mark is starting next year again...they'll probably say it's the new and improved 250lbs jacked up Mark Sanchez...much smarter! They can pull whatever gimmick they want the kid's not a NFL starting qb.tanny was stupid to give the kid a big contract like that......besides our other option is Alex Smith.....how good will he be under Soprano?? (assuming he stays)
    That's a big assumption. As opposed to what Mark Sanchez was essentially sacked by this year...a big ***.

vCash
    On Mike and Mike in the morning they just read a statement from Woody Johnson saying Mr.T is fired and Rex is staying.

vCash
    I love the fact that Tanny is gone

but shouldnt the new GM pick his own Head Coach??

FROM COUNTRY ROADS TO THE BIG APPLE .. FLIGHT GENO , READY FOR DEPARTURE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYozzy View Post
    I love the fact that Tanny is gone

but shouldnt the new GM pick his own Head Coach??
    That's what worries me; will we get a decent GM now that they will not have any say on who the new coach could possibly be?
    PSD's Sheldon Richardson!!!

vCash
    Most teams do this because the owner isn't a football guy, so they don't know who to hire (for any lower level hires, a consulting firm is unnecessary because the GM contributes to that decision)
    While I agree, what it can also mean is that a "Big name obvious capable GM is not in the cards, such as a Polian.."...because then it would be obvious to Woody and he wouldnt need a consultant.

So you missed the part where he said that he didn't protect the football? Did you miss the part where he said that he was disappointed with how he played and that it wasn't good enough? Did you miss everything that didn't fuel your hate?

Yeah, he said "we" as well because the whole team played like horse ****. Oh, and FYI...Sanchez was way too classy to throw his teammates under the bus AGAIN when he was asked about Tebow's presence.

Funny how you don't take offense to Tebow saying almost the exact same words.

As much as I hope the Jets can find a trade partner to take Sanchez, there is a part of me that hopes he'll be here next year starting...just to piss you off. That would be AWWWWWWWWESOMMMMMMMEEEEE. Yeah, I'm an evil ****.
    No one can ever questions Mark's candor with respect to the Media, and his ability to temper himself and not take bait.

With the being said, I was at the game yesterday and watched Mark alot, while on the sidelines doing whatever...I just cannot stand his body language when the dude has his helment and jersey on...he looks like a little kid moping because he lost his favorite matchbox car.

When Tanny made this deal with Sanchez, I thought it was a great idea because it basically spread Sanchez's cap hit for 2012 over 2 years to gain flexibility, while making a commitment to the guy he drafted in 2009.

That was absolutely the right thing to do. I said it then, and I will say it now. As a finance guy, I will never condemn Tanny for restructuring Mark's deal.

The problem is what he did next. He replaced a legit backup QB with Tebow (most likely Woody's fault, but still).

Then with $8MM of cap space left to upgrade the offense, Tanny did what? NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know that broken look you've all seen on Sanchez's face this year?

That's him wondering why he helped the team by restructuring his contract if they weren't going to surround him with talent. After all, I'm sure that's what they promised him.

Oh yeah, everyone talks about how Tebow was lied to, but NO ONE has ever talked about how Sanchez was lied to.

"We'll guarantee your money over 2 years, instead of 1, so that we can use your 2012 money to help you win."

Sachez's agent had the smarts and foresight to put a poison pill in the deal to make sure that his client wouldn't get hung out to dry in 2012. He made it so that the Jets can't afford to cut Mark loose and just take the $8MM cap hit.

Tanny rolled the dice on his belief that by improving the defense would keep the team competitive enough in 2012 so that the team would be able to reuse his unspent money against the 2013 cap.

Then Holmes and Revis got hurt. Keller got hurt. Hill (his drafted "weapon") got hurt. Tanny chose to take another calculated risk. He didn't spend that $8MM on a WR like TO, Ocho, or anyone else available and justified his actions based on their known character flaws.

While Holmes and Revis were lost for the year, Hill and Keller were day to day, and he'd have enough to make it work. He didn't. Both of them were hurt or otherwise useless for most of the season.

Tanny took a lot of risks this year, and they all failed. While he gets a pass on Tebow, there was too much else done to show that the "cap guru" had taken a lot of risks in 2012 to win in 2013, but the risks came back to bite him in the @$$.

Now the team might be screwed in 2013 as well because Tanny risked 2012 and failed. You can't give the guy who did that another shot to **** it up.
    A beautiful post from an ugly person.

Seriously the situation could not have been explained any more precisely.

Way back in the stands, you can see my Wife holding my son on the ledge at his first Green and White scrimmage...circa 2013...aka "The Transformation" year into greatness! That's right Emryk...you saw the beginning stages of JETS Greatness first hand!

vCash
    Just heard on radio that Rex's press conference got canceled for 4:45pm today. Any more surprises? You never know with jets. Owner says he staying and coach says I am leaving.

vCash
    And suddenly Chan Gailey is very high on the OC shopping list.

Gailey offense + Rex defense is a pretty damn good combination.

vCash

Then with $8MM of cap space left to upgrade the offense,
    Everything after this part of your post is irrelevant to him being a possible cap guru. He made a cap move that gave them more flexibility and ended up with cap room left over. That is a good job working the cap. Everything else is GM stuff, not stuff he'd be doing working just the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktownanalyst View Post
    And suddenly Chan Gailey is very high on the OC shopping list.

Gailey offense + Rex defense is a pretty damn good combination.
    Much like Norv, I lost a lot of respect for Gailey as an offensive coach this year, when he refused to give the ball to CJ Spiller. But also like Norv, given his history he's worth a look. What he really should do is go back to college.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast