Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 80 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1638
    vCash
    The only way I would be ok with a LT at 12 is if we went balls to the wall in FA.

mfw the Miami Dolphins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    The only way I would be ok with a LT at 12 is if we went balls to the wall in FA.
    Same.

Adopt-a-Dolphin: Brent Grimes - #21, CB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas_Phin1 View Post
    I do agree that he hasn't had "enough time in this system" to truly evaluate precisely, so it will be up to the coaching staff to say "we see enough upside in Long in this system, that even though he's consistently injured the last two years, he is worth top 3 money at the position"...or "Long is hobbled all the time now and he's not even what we are looking for at the position any longer...now he wants top 3 tackle money for a top 35 tackle...no thank you!"

No one WANTS to open up new holes on the team, but 10 million a season for what may end up being a "band aid", just isn't (potentially) the best investment. It's impossible to look at all of the nagging injuries that Long has had the past two years and not notice that he's just not himself on the field (it seems). How can you say "I know for sure that those were just flukes and he's actually going to be healthy moving forward and will learn the system, and be perfect for this team...for 10 million per season". You just can't. You are simply HOPING that it all works out for a really big price tag.

Even coming into the league (if you look for scouting reports from 2007/2008), it states that he's "not extremely mobile and is better in run blocking than pass blocking...he has trouble with speed rushers on the outside due to his lack of mobility". That is pretty much the very definition of a "power-blocking" left tackle. And those were the reviews before the nagging injuries slowed him down more and more. If he is not 100% healthy (and able to stay that way), then he is going to get beat more and more often on the outside. Again, I really like Long; hell, I would call him my favorite Phin for the last few years. But he's just not right for this team moving forward IMO...and I think that you'll see that proven when they let him walk in the next month or so.
    But not resigning a great young player at a position because you are cheap or/and want to spend stupidly in FA; is opening holes whether people want to admit it or not. It is a heck of a lot easier for great Franchises to open more holes, when they have tons of good to great players (from starters to backups, to fill holes) through great Drafts. You cannot be cheap on your great young players; unless you are AWESOME at Drafting & spending money super wisely & sparely in FA. EX Steelers NOT Dolphins & GM Ireland.

We will see
    Last edited by GreatWhiteShark; 01-30-2013 at 11:24 PM.
    Wild West, Ag. community, Seasonal-Self Employed, Bachelor Degree, Broad Fields, Experiences, Creative-Open minded, Reality-People, Tom Hartmann&Dan Sileo 'Best Broadcasters, Expose-Take On Big Guys Taking Little Guys', So What-Whom tell? Fanship, NOT FANATIC; Quality, Critically examine, Thought out, learned, experienced, facilitated, diverse fields, proven, science, others have experienced, Report personal attacks, Off Topics or bully Topics, Don't like-ignore, still not like-ignore button.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteShark View Post
    But not resigning a great young player at a position because you are cheap or/and want to spend stupidly in FA; is opening holes whether people want to admit it or not. It is a heck of a lot easier for great Franchises to open more holes, when they have tons of good to great players (from starters to backups, to fill holes) through great Drafts. You cannot be cheap on your great young players; unless you are AWESOME at Drafting & spending money super wisely & sparely in FA. EX Steelers NOT Dolphins & GM Ireland.

We will see
    I don't think it's fair to call them "cheap"...you just have to "spend wisely". You can't pay someone like Sean Smith twice what he's worth because you don't want to have to worry about drafting one (and same goes for Long in this scenario...not that he's not worth 10 million per year; it's just that he's not worth that much per year IN Miami IMO). I think Philbin + Ireland is going to be a pretty lethal combination come draft day (I am a big fan of last year's draft, and it's only going to get better I believe). Of course it's just speculation, but considering Philbin's prime objective is to "build the team through the draft", then I think we'll use free agents as band aids, and draft as intelligently as possible. When all is said and done, this team should be built with young talent (predominantly from the draft) that is specifically catered to the exact needs of this specific system. That way your future "free agency" money will be used primarily for keeping your team in tact. This has been the approach of Green Bay under Philbin, and I think it's his game plan in Miami as well. This year's draft will say a ton about the future of this organization; Ireland's future especially.
    Feeling much better after that Raider beat down.

vCash
    Exactly. A top-15 pick on a guard is an absolute luxury pick...a top-15 pick on a tackle is pretty much a requirement for a rookie starting left tackle. You may spend a later pick on a RT that eventually moves to the left side, but it's VERY rare to just find true (talented) LTs sitting around in later rounds. A tackle at 12 is our franchise's way of saying that Martin needs to stay on the right side.

Hopkins has been in my top 3 since his bowl game. That guy is just beastly! That's why I've been saying that I REALLY like quite a few receivers in this draft. I don't know if I'm on board for Hopkins at 12, but if we could trade back and land him...I'd be ecstatic!

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind this draft. I'm starting to get excited about Honey Badger again since we found that drafting him is at least a possibility. If we could add a good a good guard and some line depth in free agency, then I would like to see how much improved this team would be.
    Hunter has been my fave WR of the class forever and i love his upside but he does come with risk and he is slender for his size which might make him prone to injuries, i also like Wheaton's playmaking ability and how easily he gets open but i can't deny his size. Hopkins currently is my favorite one and with us going after a #1 in FA i have no problem with him at 12.
    Take Notes Rook

vCash
    I'm completely on board with Wheaton, size and all. He's not scared of contact one bit, and he really knows how to separate. I'm tired of watching tannehill have to throw the ball into a tiny window, let's get some guys who make life easier for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KodytheKing View Post
    If we where to sign a DE (Cin and TB both and good young guys as ufa) sign one of the big WR or trade for a guy. All that would be left in that spot is CB witch also could be filled in fa.

vCash
    I don't think it's fair to call them "cheap"...you just have to "spend wisely". You can't pay someone like Sean Smith twice what he's worth because you don't want to have to worry about drafting one (and same goes for Long in this scenario...not that he's not worth 10 million per year; it's just that he's not worth that much per year IN Miami IMO). I think Philbin + Ireland is going to be a pretty lethal combination come draft day (I am a big fan of last year's draft, and it's only going to get better I believe). Of course it's just speculation, but considering Philbin's prime objective is to "build the team through the draft", then I think we'll use free agents as band aids, and draft as intelligently as possible. When all is said and done, this team should be built with young talent (predominantly from the draft) that is specifically catered to the exact needs of this specific system. That way your future "free agency" money will be used primarily for keeping your team in tact. This has been the approach of Green Bay under Philbin, and I think it's his game plan in Miami as well. This year's draft will say a ton about the future of this organization; Ireland's future especially.
    This post just proves my point; is not cheaping out when not resigning a young great player in LOT Long, when there has not been enough time with him being healthy and in the system to determine if he does not work in the current system; yet you guys want to go out there and sign & draft players (especially FA Players) that cost a lot. Forget whether it opens up a new hole or not; when Miami does not have enough salary cap room or draft picks to do so.

What has not been discussed between us; but I included in my original post, on PSD & this forum, about what The Miami Dolphins should do during this off-season- the highest needed positions must be drafted twice, to insurer at least one-player meets that need. Also two-player per position of highest needs, certain positions are only separated by them playing Left or Right. Example in my opinion Miami needs both LOG & ROG to replace starters*, thus Miami should draft 4-OGs that can play either OG positions.
    But obviously, The Miami Dolphins CANNOT devote 4 of their 9 or 10 (if a trade down to get picks that are missing a Round)- draft picks; I guess if able to get FAs like LOT Long signed for less, then sign cheap FAs to fill the other two or three-L&ROGs positions to find starters.
    *- The fact that one started in The Pro Bowl, because of injuries, is LOL quality of determining The Pro Bowl.
    Wild West, Ag. community, Seasonal-Self Employed, Bachelor Degree, Broad Fields, Experiences, Creative-Open minded, Reality-People, Tom Hartmann&Dan Sileo 'Best Broadcasters, Expose-Take On Big Guys Taking Little Guys', So What-Whom tell? Fanship, NOT FANATIC; Quality, Critically examine, Thought out, learned, experienced, facilitated, diverse fields, proven, science, others have experienced, Report personal attacks, Off Topics or bully Topics, Don't like-ignore, still not like-ignore button.

vCash
    I have posted this before; but it cannot be ignored or forgotten...

...Just because The Miami Dolphins resign, sign and draft players and thus addressing needs or non-needs does not automatically prove anyone here right, beyond that they would do that. Those decisions can be horrible mistakes (as we all have seen way too much with GM Jeff Ireland & company, let alone before them); I say just wait and watch what happens three or five-NFL seasons from now*. Something that next to NO so called "expert"- media & Draft Nicks will never do; which makes them invalid, no matter what people want to protect them.

*- My opinion is 3-NFL seasons for FAs (whether resigned or not) & 5-NFL seasons for draft picks (no matter where they are drafted) & Rookie FAs & next season and in future seasons (even up to 3-NFL seasons) see how not drafting & signing to the right needs/positions or correctly drafting & signing to the right needs/positions has resulted in.
    Last edited by GreatWhiteShark; 01-31-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Adding not addressing or addressing Miami's needs/positions

vCash
    I have talked my way through this and we are just going round and round; some posts here are jokes, and I do not even really need to wait for this year's draft, but we have to wait and see. So, I am done, here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AddiX View Post
    I'm completely on board with Wheaton, size and all. He's not scared of contact one bit, and he really knows how to separate. I'm tired of watching tannehill have to throw the ball into a tiny window, let's get some guys who make life easier for him.
    This. Especially if we get Jennings

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    If we where to sign a DE (Cin and TB both and good young guys as ufa) sign one of the big WR or trade for a guy. All that would be left in that spot is CB witch also could be filled in fa.
    And that is exactly what I'm talking about.

mfw the Miami Dolphins

vCash
    can someone plz explain to me why Patterson is projected to be the first WR off the board when their are so many better WR's than him including Hunter. i see no redeeming qualities about him except his size. Hunter and Hopkins are my fave 2. Hunter because he is the best #1 in the draft and Hopkins because he can get seperation like Wheaton, is athletic, has one of the better body builds like Allen + Rodgers, and can make contested catches like Allen. also has alot of wiggle to his game like he is always a step ahead and never seems to slow down. Allen,Wheaton,Austin also great. i see Keenan Allen as a #2 WR. the fact that he isnt very athletic hurts him. Wheaton is a beast and should make it to our 2nd. if we pass on a 1st round WR id be ok but if we did so and then passed on Wheaton i would be upset.
    Take Notes Rook

vCash
    I want patton in the 2nd round, Wheaton in the 3rd.

vCash
    I don't want Long to leave, I think a 8-9 million per year with some good guaranteed money could keep him in Miami. Good thing going forward is he likely won't be the #1 guy in FA at his position plus teams with cap space like the Browns don't need a LT.

Official Dolphins Draft Guru '11 & NFL Draft Guru '12

Enjoy hilarious podcasts about popculture, wrestling, and videogames? Check out the lasertime network at lasertimepodcast.com

Page 80 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast