Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 79 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1638
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteShark View Post
    How so, OT Long is one of the best pass blocking OTs and this offense passes more. You making no sense at all; those who do not like him even recognizes this.

You want me to roll the positions that The MDs need to draft and upgrade, again?? Are far too many, for openning a new gaping hole.

Plus, there is NO guarantee that the current starting ROT or any draft LOT could become a starting LOT, let alone miss only 1-Pro Bowl, in his first what 4-years (The MDs would be extremely lucky if that happened and it is rare as rare can be).
    I'm not saying that Long isn't/wasn't a phenomenal LT. But he is better suited for a power-blocking offense...not a finesse (zone-blocking) one. His specialty is being big, holding his ground and protecting a pocket passer. This offense is designed to have linemen get out in space and block at the next level and be able to move along with a mobile QB (smaller/quicker linemen...not larger/slower ones). When it comes to zone blocking, Long is mediocre at best. Perhaps he was just hurt and couldn't do it, or perhaps it's just not his thing. But if he wants to be paid like a top-3 LT in the league, then he needs to play better than "top 35". We can't pay him for what he PREVIOUSLY accomplished (in a different system). We have to pay him for what he is right now and what he will be by the end of a new contract. He is proving to be consistently injured and not mobile enough to move around as much as need be. Saying he's not right for Miami anymore is not a knock on Long. I believe that he will go elsewhere (like Chicago maybe) and be a stud again...playing how he is built to play.

If The Miami Dolphins' let Jake Long go, then GM Jeff Ireland MUST be let go, immediately! That would not be anything new
    Again, why? Reluctantly letting go of your long-time star LT because he's not a great fit for the new system and wants to get paid like the best in the game, is a business decision. It's a tough one to make, but "lesser" tackles in the league could out-perform Jake in Philbin's system. This team is being built for the future and unfortunately, Long is part of it's past I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBoy77 View Post
    You keep missing the fact that he doesn't fit this offense anymore. The square peg round hole comparison was perfect. I like Jake Long. I think he has the potential to still be a big time LT. but I'm not sure he fits us right now
    I'm glad someone gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by AddiX View Post
    If we let long go and don't replace him in free agency I would be fine with drafting lane Johnson as his replacement. Has pretty incredible and fits us perfectly, for a LT to move around like he does is rare.

And believe me I've been the biggest hater of drafting a oline player in the 1st rnd, but lane is just ridiculous. I'd rank him as good as any LT in the draft, woth the perfect siill set for us, which is why I can accept drafting him at 12.
    It's good that you see it too. I really like Fisher, but he's just about 100% gone well before Miami is up. But I think that Johnson could be there. I am definitely on-board if we decided to go that route. Hell, I'm not opposed to Cooper either. Warmack is almost definitely gone by then, but if Johnson or Cooper (or both) are still on the board, then I would be totally fine with either. But given Long's potential departure, I think Johnson could be his replacement for years to come...and move Martin back to the right side.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Haha. This right here tells me you know nothing... thought you had gotten better...

Martin was rated 76th out of 80 OTs on the season, Long was in the top 35 somewhere. Martin also played ALOT worse at LT then he did at RT giving up almost a pressure more a game.
    I'm not sold on Martin at LT just yet, but I think that he'll be distinctly better going into next year than he was this year. The fact of the matter, is players just don't know what they are up against when they go from college to pros. He knows his biggest issue is going to be filling out and getting stronger. I'd be willing to guess that he'll be a good 15-20 pounds heavier (at least) coming into next season.

Quote Originally Posted by NeutralFan View Post
    Martin will be much better this year. His biggest issue is strength and I have no doubt that will improve this offseason. He's a good kid and a smart kid and will do whatever it takes to get where he needs to be. If you want to go by your stats then Long isn't even worth $8 mil a year as the 35th ranked Tackle.
    The line usually requires a solid season or two to find your legs so to speak. Martin will need to fill out and get bigger. But he knows what's needed and he's a smart kid...and a success-driven one at that. I'm not positive that he's our answer at LT, but I have faith that he'll be much better next year...whichever side he plays on.

Why?? Because some Internet, Radio, TV Or Newspaper "expert" says so??? By the way on Dan Selio Show one of those Internet "Experts"/former local Miami RAG "Experts" who is also one of the LOT Jake Long haters even said "Do you want 5-sacks or 10-sacks"; now I would say that 10-sacks is a little low (no matter if it is LOT- Martin or Rookie), but yes for the cost of LOT Long I will take that and a at least good run blocker (compromising here, he is great one in my opinion).

Wow, I stick with what I post and not report here, since anyone can just go back to my post and read it.
    I don't think that this is a fair comparison. Yes, the multi-time Pro Bowl LT was better at his position that a rookie out college. Of course he was. But that still doesn't make Long right for Miami in this zone-blocking scheme. Philbin is having to design the offense around a line that can't do much of what he needs them to do. They are all (a few of them at least) are doing everything they can to adapt, but it's just not going well. They will continue to hold like crazy, holes will not open at the next level like our small/shifty RBs need, and our line play will continue to be one of (if not the) biggest weakness on this team (especially if Long departs).

I forgot to mention, in previous replying post, I will want The MDs' Majority Owner Stephen Ross to FIRE GM Jeff Ireland instantly after The '2013 FA Period, if he spends their salary cap space on players that were not on The MDs' '2012-'2013 Roster, instead of resigning the FA players that were on The MDs' '2012-'2013 Roster (like LOT Long).
    Again, makes no sense. Starks should absolutely stay. Hartline should absolutely stay. Smith should highly likely be gone. Long should highly likely be gone. Bush will likely go, Clemons/Fasano should stay. Those that I think should go are simply due to the amount of money that they'll make and their inability to truly be good at the position in this system. Saying that Smith or Long should go, isn't a knock on them in any way...but at the price tag that they are looking for, without a big hometown discount, they just aren't worth it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AddiX View Post
    Even when ignored you annoy me.

How are you unable to fit everything in one post? This is ridiculous.
    I was annoying in the other direction. I put everything in one post, but I've been at work all day and just now get a chance to respond to this stuff.
    Feeling much better after that Raider beat down.

vCash
    Another novel... Damn you!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendX View Post
    Another novel... Damn you!!!
    I thought you guys were literate down under. I would make it more your speed and make it a pop-up book...but I don't have that feature enabled that I'm aware of.

Anyway, I learned the old "respond to 30 posts at once" from you..it was my tribute to Legend.

vCash
    never said Long would be depth just that signing him gives us depth. of course i know he would be the starter if we signed him but we dont need to. i still dont understand why we have to draft a LT if we dont resign him. Martin would be the starting LT going into the season if we dont. RT is what would be needed. the interior of the Oline is what needs to be focused on as it is much worse than the OT positions even without Long. im not ok drafting a 1st round tackle in any way shape or form.

alot of options for RT outside the first round which is the opposite for Guard
    Take Notes Rook

vCash
    If long is gone and he's not replaced in free agency which he most likely will not be, and you don't draft a LT at 12 (fisher or Johnson) than you have some really confused people running your team.

I would be against Cooper for the simple fact you take a LT first, and get the guards later.

The only way we can pass on a LT in this situation is if milliner falls to us in which case you have a very hard decision to make.

vCash
    OGs can be found in any level of the Draft. Sold LTs can not.

vCash
    After watching a lot of tape, I am convinced that we would actually be best off moving up to about #6 if Damontre Moore is there. If we can get from here to there with OUR 2nd and 3rd that would be best case scenario. Grab a WR in the 2nd a corner in the 3rd

vCash
    count me out of the love fest for pass rusher in the 1st. i just dont see the need nor see how people like Wrench can say opposing QBs had all day to throw because i thought it was just the opposite. that said i do love Ansah and this new youtube vid should tell you why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMtBmOdYsqo

i dont see him making it to us at #12 so im going a different route and going for the bigger need

New Mock Draft

1st DeAndre Hopkins WR Clemson
    some may say a reach but he is perfect for this offense. he is becoming my favorite WR of this class and i dont understand the love for Patterson. Jennings + Hopkins works for me. if we can trade down and get him perfect but im ok taking him at #12. also unlike Hartline this guy can get in the endzone.

2nd Menelik Watson OT FSU
    Let Jake Long go. Mel Kiper currently has Watson going in the 1st round. he is the only scout ive seen put him in it. big guy who def has the athleticism for a ZBS just doesnt have much playing time.

2nd DJ Swearinger S South Carolina
    this pick and my next pick can be interchangeable depending on if they think they can get both doing it the other way easier

3rd Tyrann Mathieu CB/S LSU
    yes i know he has flags and yes i know that everybody knows i love him. we need CB too much to care about his flags

3rd Tharold Simon CB LSU
    yes back to back LSU CB's

4th Marquess Wilson WR Washington State
    i thought about going TE here with somone like Escobar but decided to go WR again and get someone who can catch in traffic that was once considered a 1st rounder.

5th Cornelius Washington DE Georgia
    finally a pass rusher. his Senior Bowl week is why he is on my list

7th Quanterus Smith DE Western Kentucky
    another pass rusher thats banged up atm. why not take a chance on him

7th i didnt pick any GUARDS so this pick is reserved for depth at that position
    Take Notes Rook

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas_Phin1 View Post
    I'm not saying that Long isn't/wasn't a phenomenal LT. But he is better suited for a power-blocking offense...not a finesse (zone-blocking) one. His specialty is being big, holding his ground and protecting a pocket passer. This offense is designed to have linemen get out in space and block at the next level and be able to move along with a mobile QB (smaller/quicker linemen...not larger/slower ones). When it comes to zone blocking, Long is mediocre at best. Perhaps he was just hurt and couldn't do it, or perhaps it's just not his thing. But if he wants to be paid like a top-3 LT in the league, then he needs to play better than "top 35". We can't pay him for what he PREVIOUSLY accomplished (in a different system). We have to pay him for what he is right now and what he will be by the end of a new contract. He is proving to be consistently injured and not mobile enough to move around as much as need be. Saying he's not right for Miami anymore is not a knock on Long. I believe that he will go elsewhere (like Chicago maybe) and be a stud again...playing how he is built to play.

Again, why? Reluctantly letting go of your long-time star LT because he's not a great fit for the new system and wants to get paid like the best in the game, is a business decision. It's a tough one to make, but "lesser" tackles in the league could out-perform Jake in Philbin's system. This team is being built for the future and unfortunately, Long is part of it's past I'm afraid.

It's good that you see it too. I really like Fisher, but he's just about 100% gone well before Miami is up. But I think that Johnson could be there. I am definitely on-board if we decided to go that route. Hell, I'm not opposed to Cooper either. Warmack is almost definitely gone by then, but if Johnson or Cooper (or both) are still on the board, then I would be totally fine with either. But given Long's potential departure, I think Johnson could be his replacement for years to come...and move Martin back to the right side.

I'm not sold on Martin at LT just yet, but I think that he'll be distinctly better going into next year than he was this year. The fact of the matter, is players just don't know what they are up against when they go from college to pros. He knows his biggest issue is going to be filling out and getting stronger. I'd be willing to guess that he'll be a good 15-20 pounds heavier (at least) coming into next season.

The line usually requires a solid season or two to find your legs so to speak. Martin will need to fill out and get bigger. But he knows what's needed and he's a smart kid...and a success-driven one at that. I'm not positive that he's our answer at LT, but I have faith that he'll be much better next year...whichever side he plays on.

I don't think that this is a fair comparison. Yes, the multi-time Pro Bowl LT was better at his position that a rookie out college. Of course he was. But that still doesn't make Long right for Miami in this zone-blocking scheme. Philbin is having to design the offense around a line that can't do much of what he needs them to do. They are all (a few of them at least) are doing everything they can to adapt, but it's just not going well. They will continue to hold like crazy, holes will not open at the next level like our small/shifty RBs need, and our line play will continue to be one of (if not the) biggest weakness on this team (especially if Long departs).

Again, makes no sense. Starks should absolutely stay. Hartline should absolutely stay. Smith should highly likely be gone. Long should highly likely be gone. Bush will likely go, Clemons/Fasano should stay. Those that I think should go are simply due to the amount of money that they'll make and their inability to truly be good at the position in this system. Saying that Smith or Long should go, isn't a knock on them in any way...but at the price tag that they are looking for, without a big hometown discount, they just aren't worth it IMO.

I was annoying in the other direction. I put everything in one post, but I've been at work all day and just now get a chance to respond to this stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas_Phin1 View Post

See, I do not agree with that; I am not even sure where you getting this. This is the first year of the offense and LOT Long was injured (which not only makes him look worse and also gives him less time in the system). The only way I would agree with you about this is if he has more than a few healthy games in the system, which brand new. The LOT Long not being able to move to protect a scrambling QB is just BLANKING BS, LOT Long is a mobile OT. I would agree with you if after at least a couple of healthy seasons and I could see for myself and have not, far too many so called "experts" (just because they are media members put in our faces and former players of the sports or even just other sports or put in tons of time to make their own media, and get on the media outlets) cannot wait (even wait for players to develop). The amount of time with the system & healthy at same time is NOT enough to make such evaluations; anyone that is not on The Coaching Staff (they are not going to come out and say anything) that claims they can is full of BLANK!

I am all for letting drafted players that are not good enough and wanting big contracts go, for salary cap space. But then that would not be a new hole opened up, because it would be like The OGs position, I would have already wanted the starter at the position replaced.
    By the way, I have heard such "expert" say LOT Long can be released into FA and signed for a lot less, because he is at best 5th Best LOT in FA. Since I want LOT Long with Miami and would love for Miami to save a lot salary cap space by signing for lower contract, I would love to see LOT Long a Miami future starter for years to come, for less than $7-Million or something.
    Last edited by GreatWhiteShark; 01-30-2013 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Added $
    Wild West, Ag. community, Seasonal-Self Employed, Bachelor Degree, Broad Fields, Experiences, Creative-Open minded, Reality-People, Tom Hartmann&Dan Sileo 'Best Broadcasters, Expose-Take On Big Guys Taking Little Guys', So What-Whom tell? Fanship, NOT FANATIC; Quality, Critically examine, Thought out, learned, experienced, facilitated, diverse fields, proven, science, others have experienced, Report personal attacks, Off Topics or bully Topics, Don't like-ignore, still not like-ignore button.

vCash
    Great ones no; look at the last few drafts, Stanford & Wisconsin OGs were the best (because of overall, not just few great skills) and how high they been drafted. I agree with your LOTs comment With all that being said, of course, Miami does not have the luxury to spend too high of draft picks on OGs & OTs.
    Last edited by GreatWhiteShark; 01-30-2013 at 10:10 PM.
    Wild West, Ag. community, Seasonal-Self Employed, Bachelor Degree, Broad Fields, Experiences, Creative-Open minded, Reality-People, Tom Hartmann&Dan Sileo 'Best Broadcasters, Expose-Take On Big Guys Taking Little Guys', So What-Whom tell? Fanship, NOT FANATIC; Quality, Critically examine, Thought out, learned, experienced, facilitated, diverse fields, proven, science, others have experienced, Report personal attacks, Off Topics or bully Topics, Don't like-ignore, still not like-ignore button.

vCash
    Great ones no; look at the last few drafts, Stanford & Wisconsin OGs were the best (because of overall, not just few great skills) and how high they been drafted.
    They can be found after the first two rounds.

Marshal Yanda - 3rd
    Carl Nicks - 5th
    Josh Sitton - 4th
    Jahri Evans - 4th
    Evan Mathis - 3rd
    Jeremy Zuttah - 3rd
    Wade Smith - 3rd
    plus aton in the 2nd

LTs can not.

Joe Thomas - top 5
    Ryan Clady - top 15
    Duane Brown - 1st
    Michael Roos - 2nd
    Eugene Monroe - top 10
    Jake Long - top 5
    Jordan Gross - top 10
    Andrew Whitworth - 2nd
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson - top 5
    Last edited by Wrench; 01-30-2013 at 10:17 PM.

vCash
    Exactly. A top-15 pick on a guard is an absolute luxury pick...a top-15 pick on a tackle is pretty much a requirement for a rookie starting left tackle. You may spend a later pick on a RT that eventually moves to the left side, but it's VERY rare to just find true (talented) LTs sitting around in later rounds. A tackle at 12 is our franchise's way of saying that Martin needs to stay on the right side.

Quote Originally Posted by tunnicliffderek View Post
    count me out of the love fest for pass rusher in the 1st. i just dont see the need nor see how people like Wrench can say opposing QBs had all day to throw because i thought it was just the opposite. that said i do love Ansah and this new youtube vid should tell you why.

i dont see him making it to us at #12 so im going a different route and going for the bigger need

New Mock Draft

some may say a reach but he is perfect for this offense. he is becoming my favorite WR of this class and i dont understand the love for Patterson. Jennings + Hopkins works for me. if we can trade down and get him perfect but im ok taking him at #12. also unlike Hartline this guy can get in the endzone.

Let Jake Long go. Mel Kiper currently has Watson going in the 1st round. he is the only scout ive seen put him in it. big guy who def has the athleticism for a ZBS just doesnt have much playing time.

this pick and my next pick can be interchangeable depending on if they think they can get both doing it the other way easier

yes i know he has flags and yes i know that everybody knows i love him. we need CB too much to care about his flags

3rd Tharold Simon CB LSU

i thought about going TE here with somone like Escobar but decided to go WR again and get someone who can catch in traffic that was once considered a 1st rounder.

Hopkins has been in my top 3 since his bowl game. That guy is just beastly! That's why I've been saying that I REALLY like quite a few receivers in this draft. I don't know if I'm on board for Hopkins at 12, but if we could trade back and land him...I'd be ecstatic!

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind this draft. I'm starting to get excited about Honey Badger again since we found that drafting him is at least a possibility. If we could add a good a good guard and some line depth in free agency, then I would like to see how much improved this team would be.

vCash
    Those are great OGs, I give that.

Some of those LOTs are not great and overrated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnicliffderek View Post

New Mock Draft

3rd Tharold Simon CB LSU

DE & LB drafted at all are wasted picks, great players at starting positions & even at least one as a backup. Too many other huge needs!

THERE IS NO NFL STARTER QUALITY CB, AT THE OTHER STARTING CB POSITION, ON MIAMI"S ROSTER, TO WAIT UNTIL WHEN YOU DO IS HORRIBLE MISTAKE! WR & LOT (WITH LOT LONG COMING BACK) IS A JOKE, WHEN COMPARED WITH CB! S DRAFT AT ALL IS MAYBE, THE STUPIDEST PICK, TWO-YOUNG & VERY GOOD Ss ON THE ROSTER, AND THEY BOTH START! OGS FAILED MIAMI AT THE END OF THE SEASON & WHEN DOING GOOD ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH PASS BLOCKERS. NEED FOR BETTER STARTING OGs IS NOT COMPARIBLE TO NOT NEED FOR LOT (LONG IS COMING BACK). TWO CBs FROM THE SAME PROGRAM, A LITTLE BIASED THERE! Tyrann Mathieu CB/S LSU BUST WAITING TO HAPPEN, NOT BIG ENOUGH TO PLAY S & NOT TALL ENOUGH TO PLAY CB/COLLEGE GREAT & NFL BUST/LIABILITY, THUS NOT ED REED, & DRUGS. I LIKE Tharold Simon CB LSU, BUT DO NOT SEE HIM THERE & HIGHER THEN TYRANN! TO SAY I HATE THIS MOCK DRAFT WOULD BE AN UNDERSTATEMENT!

vCash
    See, I do not agree with that; I am not even sure where you getting this. This is the first year of the offense and LOT Long was injured (which not only makes him look worse and also gives him less time in the system). The only way I would agree with you about this is if he has more than a few healthy games in the system, which brand new. The LOT Long not being able to move to protect a scrambling QB is just BLANKING BS, LOT Long is a mobile OT. I would agree with you if after at least a couple of healthy seasons and I could see for myself and have not, far too many so called "experts" (just because they are media members put in our faces and former players of the sports or even just other sports or put in tons of time to make their own media, and get on the media outlets) cannot wait (even wait for players to develop). The amount of time with the system & healthy at same time is NOT enough to make such evaluations; anyone that is not on The Coaching Staff (they are not going to come out and say anything) that claims they can is full of BLANK!

I am all for letting drafted players that are not good enough and wanting big contracts go, for salary cap space. But then that would not be a new hole opened up, because it would be like The OGs position, I would have already wanted the starter at the position replaced.
    By the way, I have heard such "expert" say LOT Long can be released into FA and signed for a lot less, because he is at best 5th Best LOT in FA. Since I want LOT Long with Miami and would love for Miami to save a lot salary cap space by signing for lower contract, I would love to see LOT Long a Miami future starter for years to come, for less than $7-Million or something.
    I do agree that he hasn't had "enough time in this system" to truly evaluate precisely, so it will be up to the coaching staff to say "we see enough upside in Long in this system, that even though he's consistently injured the last two years, he is worth top 3 money at the position"...or "Long is hobbled all the time now and he's not even what we are looking for at the position any longer...now he wants top 3 tackle money for a top 35 tackle...no thank you!"

No one WANTS to open up new holes on the team, but 10 million a season for what may end up being a "band aid", just isn't (potentially) the best investment. It's impossible to look at all of the nagging injuries that Long has had the past two years and not notice that he's just not himself on the field (it seems). How can you say "I know for sure that those were just flukes and he's actually going to be healthy moving forward and will learn the system, and be perfect for this team...for 10 million per season". You just can't. You are simply HOPING that it all works out for a really big price tag.

Even coming into the league (if you look for scouting reports from 2007/2008), it states that he's "not extremely mobile and is better in run blocking than pass blocking...he has trouble with speed rushers on the outside due to his lack of mobility". That is pretty much the very definition of a "power-blocking" left tackle. And those were the reviews before the nagging injuries slowed him down more and more. If he is not 100% healthy (and able to stay that way), then he is going to get beat more and more often on the outside. Again, I really like Long; hell, I would call him my favorite Phin for the last few years. But he's just not right for this team moving forward IMO...and I think that you'll see that proven when they let him walk in the next month or so.

Page 79 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast