Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Carmelo Anthony adamant he and Knicks teammate Amar'e Stoudemire can win together

Carmelo Anthony adamant he and Knicks teammate Amar'e Stoudemire can win together

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--ca...181706550.html

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – The question has hung over Carmelo Anthony nearly since the first day he joined the New York Knicks, and it will likely be debated once again in the coming days.

Can he and Amar'e Stoudemire play well – and win – together?

There's no denying that Anthony has played his best, as have the Knicks as a whole, while Stoudemire has been sidelined the first two months of this season. But with Stoudemire now expected to return on Tuesday, Anthony is quick to roll his eyes at the thought that New York can't be a better team with the former All-Star forward back on the floor.

"We need him," Anthony told Yahoo! Sports after the Knicks' 106-105 loss to the Sacramento Kings. "I know we are playing well, but the more bodies, the better, especially at this point where guys are doing well. …We are ready for him."

Stoudemire has yet to play this season after having surgery on his left knee in late October. He's expected to practice with the Knicks on Sunday and Monday. He completed a series of shooting drills prior to the Kings game, but didn't have much to say about his pending return.

"I will be back soon," he said. "I'm not talking right now, but I will be back soon."

The Knicks are riddled with injuries beyond Stoudemire. Anthony has missed two straight games with a hyperextended left knee. Forward Rasheed Wallace has missed eight straight games with a sore left foot. Guard Raymond Felton is out at least four weeks with a fractured right pinkie finger. Guard Iman Shumpert expects to return from knee surgery as late as February.

"I'm going to put him through a full practice in terms of what we do and in terms of running up and down," Woodson said. "We will be banging some with him, too, just to see where he is. Hopefully, there won't be any setbacks and he will be ready to go on New Year's Day."

Stoudemire recently worked out with the Knicks' Development League affiliate in Erie, N.Y. While he was a little rusty in the first practice, he impressed the Knicks' coaching staff and front office officials in the second workout when he drop-stepped and elevated for a hard dunk over one of the Erie players. Stoudemire is in good condition and ran the floor well during the workouts, but the Knicks still want to see him practice with them prior to clearing him.

"He showed that he still has that bounce he's known for," said one source who saw Stoudemire work out.

Anthony has started at power forward in Stoudemire's absence and is enjoying possibly his finest season, averaging 28.5 points and 6.2 rebounds. The Knicks also have won 21 games, most in the Eastern Conference. Yet, in their two seasons together, Anthony and Stoudemire haven't meshed well offensively while playing small forward and power forward, respectively.

Stoudemire is expected to initially come off the bench when he returns and be given limited minutes. Anthony also is hopeful he'll be back on Tuesday. If Stoudemire eventually returns to the starting lineup, veteran forward-center Kurt Thomas would likely go to the bench.

"I'll gauge it when he gets in a game and see how he's playing," Woodson said of how much Stoudemire will play. "He's not going to come back and play 30 minutes a game. That's impossible."

Knicks center Marcus Camby finds the concerns regarding Anthony and Stoudemire laughable.

Stoudemire "is hungrier than anything because he keeps hearing that he and 'Melo can't coexist on the basketball court," Camby said. "You have to give a guy like Amar'e a lot of credit because during that free agent period [in 2010] he was the only one that wanted to take a lot of responsibility and play under a microscope. Just how he handled things once 'Melo decided to come here … there has been no ego from what I have has seen. He wants to prove a lot of people wrong on the aspect that they can't coexist."
    Can't wait to see us at full full strength.

KNICKS 2012/2013 = REBIRTH
    Lets talk some Knicks on Twitter @knicksupdate
    Knicks Past Knicks Future
    Originally Posted by StoicSentry
    "I hate rooting for the Knicks because of their connection with the Rangers. I never became a serious Knicks fan."

vCash
    "We need him," Anthony told Yahoo! Sports after the Knicks' 106-105 loss to the Sacramento Kings. "I know we are playing well, but the more bodies, the better, especially at this point where guys are doing well. …We are ready for him."
    I'm not arguing with Melo...

Cant wait for his return

bought so many presents want one for me

vCash
    This could put this team over the top and that guy they call Shump is ok too

vCash
    not going to lie, but does anyone really expect any Knick including Melo to say, Oh no its not going to work?

Hmmmmm?

Stupid you know that, just a dumb question.

The better question is this:

Okay Melo we know you feel it will work but how will it work exactly?

Now I can't fly my airplane

vCash
    Lets see it work.

vCash
    Stop sleeping on Woodson. Ppl are quick to say Melo-Stat cant mesh...but under what coach was that???? D'Antoni was the coach the entire time!!!! And honestly the whole damn Knicks team didnt 'mesh' under D'Antoni!!!!

Last time I checked, Woodson was 6-1 when Stat and Melo played together!

#KNICKS TAPED PLAYOFFS 2013

vCash
    Not many Benches can guard the PnR with Amar'e in it.
    Especially when Jr smith, Novak and Copeland are stretching the floor.

vCash
    phenomenal

first

vCash
    As long as these guys stay healthy, I don't see how it can't work. Especially if Amare is willing to change his role.

The Knicks struggle to find good shots when Melo isn't in the game, or Tyson's pick and roll is shut down (which is easier to do when Melo isn't on the floor). Amare is like a mix of both Melo and Tyson. What he will bring to the bench will make them like a second starting unit. And when they're all on the floor Melo and Amare can both spread the floor.

Think for a second about Kurt Thomas starting and often being left open to take a jumper. That's Amare's role 100%, and secondary screener. And late in the shotclock he's a 2nd guy besides Melo that can just get a good shot for himself.

vCash
    it will work
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkeysuit View Post
    Rondo #1 PG in the league ...he has a ring to prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzbolt View Post
    Wall will win more and will be better then Irving Quote me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearadonisdna View Post
    u can't build a franchise around lebron. Its been proven already. he can't attract players and has to follow to be matched up with talent.

vCash
    im confident we will continue winning

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    Lets not forget we became an elite team...a contender...minus Amar'e. We proved that we can still win games and be competitive without Melo and Amar'e.

Teams will look to stop Melo and Amar'e from co existing....lets not go away fom what we are doing and the team we have become just to prove a point.

BRING AMARE OFF THE ****ING BENCH!

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    All this worrying about nothing. Not only will Amar'e *NOT* hurt us, but we NEED Amar'e. He will be our top scorer off the bench when JR Smith inevitably crumbles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    All this worrying about nothing. Not only will Amar'e *NOT* hurt us, but we NEED Amar'e. He will be our top scorer off the bench when JR Smith inevitably crumbles.
    this is an epic post

considering the author

I co-sign

except JR will always be up and down he will never crumble every game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    not going to lie, but does anyone really expect any Knick including Melo to say, Oh no its not going to work?

Hmmmmm?

Stupid you know that, just a dumb question.

The better question is this:

Okay Melo we know you feel it will work but how will it work exactly?
    Or instead of asking questions how about we just say talk is cheap and let them show us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast