Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Terrell Thomas resigned.

FEBRUARY 11, 2013 3:03 PM

T2 re-does deal; will return to Giants in '13
    BY RALPH VACCHIANO

Terrell Thomas’ second chance with the Giants never really got started. Now he’s coming back for a third.

The 28-year-old cornerback signed a new contract with the team on Monday, guaranteeing he’ll at least have a shot at playing for the Giants in 2013. He has missed the last two seasons after tearing the ACL in his right knee in consecutive summers.

Thomas – who celebrated his new deal by Tweeting “Guess whose back???” along with a picture of himself in his No. 24 Giants helmet -- will now attempt to join Carolina Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis, who is the only NFL player ever known to make it back from three torn ACLs.

The details of Thomas’ new deal weren’t immediately known, but a person with knowledge of it said it is either a one-year deal or essentially a one-year deal. Last March, while he was coming off his second torn ACL, he signed a four-year contract with the Giants that could’ve been worth as much as $28.4 million. But it included a $6 million option that was due this March.

With that contract now ripped up, last year’s deal cost the Giants only about $2 million.

The Giants had high hopes for the former second-round pick out of USC when they brought him to camp last summer, but he quickly got hurt just days into camp – what the team initially called an “aggravated” right ACL. Further examinations and several doctors’ opinions eventually determined the need for surgery and the discovery of a partial tear.

In the aftermath of the Giants season, GM Jerry Reese expressed an interest in bringing Thomas back, but said the team would have to “tread lightly” given his physical condition. He also said Thomas might have to consider a position switch from cornerback to safety to ease some of the wear and tear on his battered knee.

"He may be one of those guys at this point in his career, if he does get back on the field from the injury, you might have to move him to a different position like safety instead of playing corner," Reese said in an interview on WFAN back in January. "Because, a couple ACLs playing corner is tough to do.

“But he is a smart guy. You’ve seen guys before that start careers at cornerback, and have some injuries or lose a step and teams move them inside to safety. That is something we will look at."

Thomas has spent the last month training in Pensacola, Fla. According to updates he’s posted on his personal website, he began running outside of a pool for the first time just one week ago.

This comes on the heels of reports that the Panthers are interested in KP
    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/201...o-giants-in-13
    Last edited by GGGGG-Men; 02-11-2013 at 06:28 PM.

vCash

Attaboy. Glad he's back, but I'm not expecting much. Hope he can do the impossible and resurrect his career, but I don't see how you go through 3 ACL injuries and then win battles in camp.

Knowing the system, flexibility to play safety (or the Big Nickel S/CB spot) might save him. Hope the best for him.

vCash
    Really glad to see us give him a shot. I'd hate for him to leave, try and learn a new system and struggle or hurt himself and just disappear.

vCash
    Very happy with this! But could this be bad news for Webster?

vCash
    "He may be one of those guys at this point in his career, if he does get back on the field from the injury, you might have to move him to a different position like safety instead of playing corner," Reese said in an interview on @WFAN660. "Because, a couple ACLs playing corner is tough to do. But he is a smart guy. You’ve seen guys before that start careers at cornerback, and have some injuries or lose a step and teams move them inside to safety. That is something we will look at." - Jerry Reese

Quote Originally Posted by uwish1127 View Post
    Very happy with this! But could this be bad news for Webster?
    Nah. Guy is coming off his 3rd ACL injury and rumored to be moved to safety if he plays at all. No threat to Webster.

The only threat to Webster is his own contract.

vCash
    Well good for him. Dont know what to expect from him.
    Quarterback Class of 2004 1st Round starters

vCash
    I'm sure the contract is for very little, can't count on him.. Just gotta look at wtv he does as a bonus..

vCash
    Resign KP and turn T2 into a safety

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYGTom View Post
    Resign KP and turn T2 into a safety
    So we have 6 safeties on the roster...

vCash
    Patricia Traina‏@Patricia_Traina

As for where he will play if he does complete his comeback: "“Obviously, my physical play translates into being a safety."

I just got done talking to Jerry, coach Coughlin + coach Fewell and all of them said, ‘We envision you coming back to play corner. But if not, maybe there’s a nickel safety role. Either way, we just want you on the field.’
    Tom Rock‏@TomRock_Newsday

Terrell Thomas' old contract, like his last two ACLs, has been torn up and replaced. It's a brand new contract for 2013.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GMenFanSince90 View Post
    So we have 6 safeties on the roster...
    Whoops meant Let KP walk lol

Webster/Amukamara/Hosley at CB, Rolle/Brown/T2 at Safety = Fantastic DB

vCash
    Word is the T2 deal saved them $2 mil in cap.

So....about $5-6 mil under now. Still work to be done. I think they need another $5-10 mil in room just to re-sign guys they need and sign draft picks, as well as keep about $2 mil in space as insurance.

vCash
    How long has it been since T2 played? well: http://www.giants.com/media-vault/vi...5-30f1067ac965

They're most recent highlight has Goff at MLB.

vCash
    i expected him to recover; but i didn't expect the giants to even bother. in fact, that's my attitude about this deal. why do we bother?

remember our plan a few years back about getting younger and healthier?

anyway, a kind move by giants' front office. they (as well as he, as well as you and I) know he stands zero chance of signing elsewhere with his propensity to injure.

i'm not front office.

vCash
    Low risk/cost high reward. If they get a fully healthy T2 they get a tackling machine which they sorely need. If not, they're out the same amount of money as any depth man.

I love him, but I have this suspicion that he's not gonna last through the summer. Not injury wise, but he'll lose in open competition to the younger healthier guys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast