Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

The TE Situation: Bennett's Not Feeling the Love

Martellus Bennett isn’t “feeling the love” from the Giants

Posted by Josh Alper on February 27, 2013, 3:04 PM EST

The Giants have been working to create cap room by outright releasing or restructuring the contracts of veteran players.

One of the reasons to create cap space is to re-sign some of your own free agents. The Giants have several of those, including tight end Martellus Bennett. Expectations have been that the Giants would try to bring Bennett back after a productive first year with the team, but Bennett says that there haven’t been any significant overtures toward getting him under contract at this point.

Paul Dottino of WFAN in New York directed a tweet to Bennett asking him when he was going to re-sign with the Giants so that Dottino would be able to stop fielding questions from his followers about Bennett’s status. Bennett sent a series of replies back to Dottino that explained where things stand at the moment.

“I dunno bro. Not feeling the love,” Bennett wrote. “They have other priorities that come before little ole me. I’m just a small piece of what they’re trying to do there. … I’ve come to the conclusion that we are just temporary investments to the owners. Value money and growth over players. … Just like any business. Employees aren’t as valuable as we use to be. Everyone needs a job. Lol.”
    The Giants took care of one of those other priorities when they re-signed left tackle Will Beatty on Wednesday, which could mean that Bennett will start feeling the love from the Giants soon. Or there could be too wide a gap to get anything done until the market helps set the price for Bennett once free agency opens next month.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...om-the-giants/

Time to move on. I'll assume beckum will re-sign cheaply, Robinson will get the summer to step it up and Bear will be Bear. Still need another reliable piece so we'll see if that comes from a high value draft pick or FA.

vCash
    Here's the FA pool for TEs: http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/featu...tion=TE&y=2013

I can see them either getting a reliable vet like Dallas Clark while Robinson comes along or they could bring up a PS guy like Donnell. Wouldn't mind Delanie Walker, but it really sounds like they can't spend any money at TE, so this might all come from the draft.

We have a revolving door at TE.

vCash
    Our run game will be affected by this. I'd really like Eli to bring back Bennett and Cruz/Nicks. He has the power/money. Peyton just sucked the Broncos dry for 20 mil a year though despite having over a 100 mil in the bank so it's not likely

vCash
    I wouldn't mind Delanie Walker, but i rather stick with some type of familarity, whether it be Kevin Boss, Jake Ballard or Bennett, but we can't break the bank or come close to it for a tight end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GMenFanSince90 View Post
    Our run game will be affected by this. I'd really like Eli to bring back Bennett and Cruz/Nicks. He has the power/money. Peyton just sucked the Broncos dry for 20 mil a year though despite having over a 100 mil in the bank so it's not likely
    Yeah but Cruz and Nicks are worth it. We can bring in any TE and make it work. I think Bennett is a fine blocker but its nothing amazing. Ballard was a better blocker and we had the worst run game in the league 2 years ago, so the run game issues are bigger than that.

I think if anything they could fine a TE with better blocking skills in the run game. Bennett was good at the point of attack but his follow through SUCKED. You can watch dozens of clips of Bradshaw or Wilson running downfield and Bennett stops after his first block. Same with his routes; stopping short, etc.

When they signed him last season to the 1 year deal we all suspected it was a stop-gap kinda thing to try him out. There's no doubt he's got skills and more power to him to go cash in on them, but there's still the ego and poor mental ethic that is gonna cost him when dealing with guys like Coughlin, Gilbride, Reese, etc.

Can't remember if Ballard is an RFA or exclusive rights, but it may be worth prying him back from the Pats. He had great chemistry with Eli.

again....its all plug-n-play at TE in our system. I don't think we need to invest a ton of money at the position to get what we need out of it.

vCash
    Delanie Walker can block?? We already have a player like him called Travis Beckham. Why have two undersized TEs n one beast who hasn't seems the field.

I don't mind Bear. But forget route running though. Beckham is actually pretty nice n Robinison must be ready if Giants aren't considering Bennett. Even on the cheap. Sorry Bennett

Sure hell end up in Tampa. He would look great in their uniform n fit right in. Already thinking fantasy pick if n when that happens

vCash
    And I don't want any rejects that left the Giants... even the Giants organization doesn't do that. Another reason I love em.

All of em suffered n sucked on their new teams" now their free agents lol

Pope can make anyone good!!

Swear Robinson is ready and their keeping him a secret!!! Guy is huge and cannot wait hahahaha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Here's the FA pool for TEs: http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/featu...tion=TE&y=2013

I can see them either getting a reliable vet like Dallas Clark while Robinson comes along or they could bring up a PS guy like Donnell. Wouldn't mind Delanie Walker, but it really sounds like they can't spend any money at TE, so this might all come from the draft.

We have a revolving door at TE.
    I never liked Bennett and if he's gone, good riddance....no doubt he was talented, but just like a young T.O. he was a cancer for this team....Bennett was among three TEs the Giants could've gotten out of FA.....I originally wanted Dallas Clark the most out of Bennett and the other guy whom I forgot his name, but Dallas has sure hands and a positive attitude. He never complained about that horrendous season with the Colts in 2011, and the giants could've used a player who thinks like that....I still don't rule out bringing Clark to NY, so at least he can meaot Robinson on how to be a decent TE in the NFL...I wanted to punch Bennett in the face for making this comment, but I'd rather just see him leave for another team, try to talk trash about the Giants, and have a horrendous season with the team he's signed with...now with that said, I either want Clark, Ballard back (if possible), or someone cheap like Ben Watson...we can live with different TEs as long as we got Pope
    BORN AND RAISED TO KILL COWBOYS
    13-9 Record & Super Bowl 46 Champs: You made it true Big Blue!!!!(Now Aim High For #5!!!!! )

Gimme MORE of that BAZE D'andummy!

NY Giants Fan, LA Lakers Fan, LA Dodgers Fan

vCash
    You guys have no idea what you're talking about.

Calling Bennett a cancer last year? What did he do?

Saying Beckum was pretty nice?

Boss and Ballard rejects?

vCash
    double post

vCash
    Yea rejects... but doesn't matter

49ers have all the picks in the world and gonna run house

It's over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RolleWebster View Post
    Yea rejects... but doesn't matter

49ers have all the picks in the world and gonna run house

It's over.
    I honestly don't recall you being this useless in the past. Are you on a 3 day bender or something?

You've posted the same thing in like 4 threads and calling Ballard, who was a great part of our team and tore his knee trying to get back on the field a reject, and Boss who went over the middle for us for like 4 seasons a reject. I think it's clear who the _ _ _ _ _ _ is.

vCash
    Can I get an "R" Vanna.

vCash
    Can I get an "R" Vanna.
    Two R's..

R _ _ _ R _

vCash
    I honestly don't recall you being this useless in the past. Are you on a 3 day bender or something?

You've posted the same thing in like 4 threads and calling Ballard, who was a great part of our team and tore his knee trying to get back on the field a reject, and Boss who went over the middle for us for like 4 seasons a reject. I think it's clear who the _ _ _ _ _ _ is.

Haha Bender.I don't drink like a redneck sorry n two it was a joke three. Get the stick out of your *** four Ballard hahaha who's that!? Ballard sucked. Kevin Boss was great but if/when you leave my team. You're a reject! N their careers reflect. Even before injury....

when your in a good situation n system. You don't leave for $$$

Point blank. Period!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast