Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

If YOU were Cutler would you freeze out receivers?

Im not trying to be jerk or nothing, but there are guys on this team who regularly drop passes. This thread isnt about the game today, Im speaking on the SEASON. Im thinking of two guys in particular that Ive seen do this alot. I dont wanna name names, hey Kellen Davis and Devin Hester this aint about you I promise. I know that you cant catch EVERYTHING, but there are two dudes in specific that struggle catching the ball ESPECIALLY on third down. If we make the playoffs, Davis and Hester arent going to magically catch everything in site. Everyone in the league drops, but when I see Cutler target Hester and Davis for any pass of signifance or on a third down pass, I sit back thinking, "I know he aint catching that."

If you were Cutler, and you saw the same guy dropping passes all year, would you "freeze out" those guys or keep targetting them? Do you like the idea? Is it being a bad teammate? Would you do it if you were a QB? I really have been thinking that if a guy continues to mess up, you as a QB should straight freeze his *** out as punishment. If I were Cutler, I'd tell Kellen Davis "just block, but Im not throwing you ****".

vCash
    Davis blows, there's a thread about how much he sucks.

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    vCash
    not receivers but TEs yes, it seems like he can throw the ball to Bennet and Marshall with confidence, I liked what I saw today where he and alshon where comuicating through hand signals when the play broke down. Alshon could have a future with this team. hope he can develop

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

vCash
    Alshon/Marshall/Bennett

vCash
    Just the two you mentioned
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

vCash

If YOU were Cutler would you freeze out receivers?

He does seemingly freeze guys out a bit

vCash
    Unless you believe Cutler showing preference to certain receivers is simultaneously "freezing out" receivers, there's no way to justify that Cutler intentionally avoids passing to certain players on the team.

I firmly believe he passes to the players he feels are open, can finish the plays, follows his read progression, and highly doubt his personal preference determines whether he throws a ball to a certain player. There's simply not enough time in the NFL to add any extra thought to the quarterbacking process, nor is there any room in any professional film study/meeting to dodge such a bias when an entire staff and unit will review the process in excruciating detail.

That said, there are plenty of situations and coverage packages that will force Cutler to ignore certain routes, creating a bias of sorts. In situations when a player is double covered, I don't think Cutler will throw to Hester as soon as he will to Marshall -- but that's got nothing to do with any negative attribution towards Hester so much as much as a belief Marshall can make the play Hester can't.

The same can be said of the play calling for any team. You go with what works.
    Last edited by TopsyTurvy; 12-30-2012 at 06:04 PM.

vCash
    You can't afford to in the NFL. QB's are making split second reads with 300 pound NFL linemen bearing down on them. While you can target certain players more, you can't try and freeze out one player because he doesn't come through. Most NFL defenders are just too good for that. If someone is open you throw it there and trust that they can make the play.

Mmmmm ... McBuckets