Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

David Diehl (Will Take Pay Cut - Post #22)

His name pops up in every offseason discussion and people rant about why nothing has been done with him yet.

Here's the way I understand it:

Based on Spotrac he has a $6,875,000 cap hit for the upcoming season. I've read the most that can be freed up by cutting him is $4.5 mil....but thats just an estimate.

He has restructured his deal in past years to make more cap room. Restructured means moving money, not taking a cut. So part of this money is salary that based on the original contract would have been paid in previous years. Technically its money he's already earned.

NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts, so he can be cut and most of this money and cap hit goes away.

THE GIANTS HAVE BEEN IN TALKS WITH HIM ABOUT TAKING A PAY CUT FOR 2013. Lots of people acting like he should be gone already and the Giants aren't doing anything, but that's not the case.

Giants have the position that Diehl must take a pay cut. He hasn't agreed yet (or so it seems).

The Giants have not cut him because:

They have no proven LG or RT for 2013. Diehl plays both positions. Even if Brewer is ready to start at RT, they have no option at LG with Boothe apparently seeking to cash in on the FA market (Bears want him).

They can't test the market for a LG or RT replacement until FA opens today in a few hours. If they can't land a better option, they need to make Diehl's contract work and keep him since he knows the system.

If they find a better option on the market, both a starter and possibly another cheap depth option....Diehl WILL BE cut. Guaranteed. But they need to explore their options first. It seems he's willing to take a cut but not as big of a cut as the Giants want.

So....
    They see what the going rate is for a FA.
    They determine if its better value to sign a FA or take the cut that Diehl is willing to take.
    If they find better value, they sign the new guy and tell Diehl he can take a very very substantial cut or leave.
    If they don't find much better value, they agree to the cut Diehl is willing to take and hope for new bodies in the draft.

Let me know if I'm far off on anything here, but the overall point is that the Giants haven't not cut him without a good reason for it.

vCash
    Dude thats pretty much prob right on the spot, Nicely put...Im sure hoping he is a goner..
    FAV FIGHTERS- HW-Struve-JDS-D.Cormier LHW-Gustafsson -Ovince St. Preux Machida MW-Kenndey-D.Miller-Chris WeidmanWW-Condit-Rory MacDonald-Kampmann-Douglas Lima-Marquardt LW-Penn-Edgar-Jim Miller-Joe Lauzon-FW-Jung Patricio Freire BW-Torres-Dantas- Faber-Fly-Benavidez

vCash
    You know it makes a lot of sense. Nice way to put it.

vCash
    One more thing. Teams are still tight against the cap and need to make more room. There are more bodies that are getting cut today and will continue to get cut, so more options to discover. Then there's not wanting to cut him too early and let a division rival get him if they play the defensive angle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    One more thing. Teams are still tight against the cap and need to make more room. There are more bodies that are getting cut today and will continue to get cut, so more options to discover. Then there's not wanting to cut him too early and let a division rival get him if they play the defensive angle.
    Im sure we can find a cheaper player after today, DD is not good for the money he is getting paid.
    FAV FIGHTERS- HW-Struve-JDS-D.Cormier LHW-Gustafsson -Ovince St. Preux Machida MW-Kenndey-D.Miller-Chris WeidmanWW-Condit-Rory MacDonald-Kampmann-Douglas Lima-Marquardt LW-Penn-Edgar-Jim Miller-Joe Lauzon-FW-Jung Patricio Freire BW-Torres-Dantas- Faber-Fly-Benavidez

vCash
    Im sorry I would PAY money to release him and have an unproven guy play. Thats how bad he sucked last year.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Im sorry I would PAY money to release him and have an unproven guy play. Thats how bad he sucked last year.
    haha

Hey Sean., have you seen film on Fluker, the RT? Can you give a breakdown?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Very easy to get rid of a player; much harder to replace that player. See: Aaron Ross

vCash
    He has to have some dirt on T.C. Really he is a d/bag also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yanks19791024 View Post
    He has to have some dirt on T.C. Really he is a d/bag also.
    how so?

vCash
    I don't mind if he's on the team (sorry , was too lazy to read your beautiful-looking post) but can't he just take a paycut like what CW did? 6 mil is a lot of space for a back-up
    BORN AND RAISED TO KILL COWBOYS
    13-9 Record & Super Bowl 46 Champs: You made it true Big Blue!!!!(Now Aim High For #5!!!!! )

Gimme MORE of that BAZE D'andummy!

NY Giants Fan, LA Lakers Fan, LA Dodgers Fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    I don't mind if he's on the team (sorry , was too lazy to read your beautiful-looking post) but can't he just take a paycut like what CW did? 6 mil is a lot of space for a back-up
    You didn't want to read my first post and then asked the question that the post answers haha.

Here's the short version: he will take a cut or be released, but they're covering their *** by holding on to him while they search the FA market for a better option.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GMenFanSince90 View Post
    haha

Hey Sean., have you seen film on Fluker, the RT? Can you give a breakdown?
    Yea he's a good run blocker and bad pass blocker with heavy feet and a scarily inconsistent equilibrium. I like him with our first pick but I wouldnt be surprised if he busted. I like our staffs ability to develop him.

Very easy to get rid of a player; much harder to replace that player. See: Aaron Ross
    Diehl last year was worse than all of Ross' issues combined
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by krisxsong View Post
    how so?
    I won front row tickets to a mma event(Strikeforce Fedor vs Silva). Im wearing a Bradshaw suberbowl jersey and Giants hat. So I see these big dudes walking by me to get to seats. Its DD with friends. So every mma fighter and coach I run into I ask very nice do you mind taking a pic with me, all say yes and some even talked to me for 5 to 10 mins. So my wife says go ask the Giants player,your a die hard fan. So I did, that fat **** blew me off so quick, liked waved me away. I was shocked. Bas Rutten even saw what he did and came over to me took pics with me and was saying loud enough so DD could hear some pro's are just dickheads. Love Bas!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yanks19791024 View Post
    I won front row tickets to a mma event(Strikeforce Fedor vs Silva). Im wearing a Bradshaw suberbowl jersey and Giants hat. So I see these big dudes walking by me to get to seats. Its DD with friends. So every mma fighter and coach I run into I ask very nice do you mind taking a pic with me, all say yes and some even talked to me for 5 to 10 mins. So my wife says go ask the Giants player,your a die hard fan. So I did, that fat **** blew me off so quick, liked waved me away. I was shocked. Bas Rutten even saw what he did and came over to me took pics with me and was saying loud enough so DD could hear some pro's are just dickheads. Love Bas!!!!
    Same thing happened to me with Patrick Ewing when i was a Kid, My cousin worked as a Service manager for Mercedes and he came in on a saturday while i was there i was so excited went up to him to ask for his autograph and i won't even say what he said but for a kid to receive that from a PRO defiantly deserved a kick in the balls. On the other hand one of the most friendly pros i've ever meet and spoken too Latrell Sprewell, dude went out of his way to get me his autograph meet me a whole week later just to sign his rookie BB card great guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast