Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

In hindsight, how should we have handled Tim Tebow

I think first of all this has clearly been a disaster for the team. Not in any sense Tebow's fault... but the way he was used broke up Mark's flow when he did make plays, and ultimately was the biggest influence in destroying his confidence and taking him from a middle of the league QB (which he was at the start of the season) to one of the worst starters in the league (which he was by mid season)

I dont really mind the trade for Tebow in itself. I think he was and still is an intriguing player with big upsides:

Great athlete
    Great work effort
    Genuine leadership qualities

But we knew that Mark Sanchez is a guy who is emotional fragile, but nature quite insular... should we have not been able to see the risk of putting a guy behind him who has a legion of "non-football" fans and is one of the most famous guys in the game nationally?

Shouldn't we have figured out how Mark is going to react to having every media source filled with people calling the other guys name?

_

And you can say "thats tough luck on him, if he isnt a big enough character to handle it, put the other guy in", but obviously from pretty early on we'd made a judgement that Tebow wasnt capable of running an offence that we could run with the players we have.

So we destroy one QB (who we are on the hook to pay a lot of money too) and the second guy doesnt have the skills to play.

Clearly what we did do was pretty badly judged, but what should we have done?

In my opinion from Week 1 we should not have listed Tebow as QB. He should have been on the roster as a FB and then run his trick plays while he and Sanchez are both in the game so there is a genuine element of surprise.

We should have kept Stanton (if at all possible) and had him at 2. if we couldn't keep him then GMac at 2 and someone off the street at 3.

And he refused to join us on these conditions, let Jax take him.

vCash
    We should have never traded for him. I said the day we got him that I'd rather forfeit the 4th rounder we traded for him than have him play on the Jets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    We should have never traded for him. I said the day we got him that I'd rather forfeit the 4th rounder we traded for him than have him play on the Jets.
    I agree with the first part of your post.

The moment I heard about the trade, my first thought was that they had just weakened the team.

Within a week, we had lost our backup QB (Stanton), and the road to disaster was being paved.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    I think they handled him the right way actually. The media couldn't handle the fact that Rex was 100% honest about his role but he was, and that was the right way because he isn't a starting caliber QB.

If our offense didn't suck as much as it did we would have had a lot more snaps. And with a better Online he would have been more effective too. That Brad Smith role would have been perfect' with some short yardage situation, and if we had the lead we would have used him to run out the clock.

But all of that only matters if our offense was actually any kind of alive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aNYer View Post
    I think they handled him the right way actually. The media couldn't handle the fact that Rex was 100% honest about his role but he was, and that was the right way because he isn't a starting caliber QB.

If our offense didn't suck as much as it did we would have had a lot more snaps. And with a better Online he would have been more effective too. That Brad Smith role would have been perfect' with some short yardage situation, and if we had the lead we would have used him to run out the clock.

But all of that only matters if our offense was actually any kind of alive.
    Brad Smith was on the field for a lot of plays as a WR. There was an element of surprise when he lined up under center.

Every time Tebow took the field, the defense knew exactly what was coming and they could substitute and call the right defensive play.

It was never going to work, and that's why it failed. Rex may have known that, but I don't think Sparano did.

As for brining in the backup to run out the game...you don't do that to your starting QB. The Tebow experiment was a bad idea from the start.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    shouldve never gotten him. plain & simple

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by $GangGr33n$ View Post
    shouldve never gotten him. plain & simple
    Correct.

-Sun Tzu

vCash
    If our receivers could win the one on ones and O-line wasn't so porous we could have kept defenses honest by passing some out of it. Just enough that the couldn't bring the house all the time.

The reason I think taking the QB out isn't terrible is because usually in a running play QBs are no where near involved outside of maybe a cheap fake. Whether that's true or not, we don't know but rad Smith taking snaps didn't hurt our offense.

Where the argument could be made is that Mark is such a rhythm QB that maybe just going to the sideline could throw him off. But that's not a the way they are using Tebow issue, that is a helping the QB succeed issue. And I don't know that they have done that outside of this.

vCash
    basically the complete opposite of how we used him is how we should have used him. instead of bringing him in on 1st and 2nd and goal from the 9, letting him run up the gut for 2-3 yards, then bringing back mark for 3rd and goal from inside the 5, we should have let mark run the traditional offense, then brought in timmy for those short and-goal situations where, even if you know what's coming, he can still get you the 2-3 yards needed.

the fact that we had so many red zone chances inside the 10 and failed to 1) typically score, and 2) get tebow a SINGLE rushing td all season falls squarely on the shoulders of our incompetent offensive staff. just mind-numbing decision making sometimes. then again, the talent on the field didn't really alleviate their ineptitude...
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

vCash
    Was optimistic at first and then my hindsight kicked in - our owner did this for money, we had a legit no. 2 in Stanton. Tebow = no element of surprise, all that added weight made him slower. If they really wanted to continue with the wildcat, should of never let Smith go. The Tebow move did more damage to Mark and the team then good.

vCash
    Also this showed me that Mr. Johnson has more say in the Jets than we think - and thats never good unless your as smart as Robert Kraft. The next few years of being a Jet fan are gonna suck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    Brad Smith was on the field for a lot of plays as a WR. There was an element of surprise when he lined up under center.

Every time Tebow took the field, the defense knew exactly what was coming and they could substitute and call the right defensive play.

It was never going to work, and that's why it failed. Rex may have known that, but I don't think Sparano did.

As for brining in the backup to run out the game...you don't do that to your starting QB. The Tebow experiment was a bad idea from the start.
    It would break up any rhythm that Mark Sanchez had going and turn second and short into a 3rd and long. Horrible additon the Jets made, I agree with you.

vCash
    I didn't have a problem bringing him in, but he should have never been considered a backup qb. Everyone knew he had no shot to start, so he should have been just another player. We should have kept stanton as a real backup, and then mixed in tebow as a wildcat "player".if for some reason you needed the extra roster spot that week, you make him the 3rd qb or inactivate him right before the game, effectively making the other team gameplan for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Cant agree more. He is the reason IMO that our season went down the drain. Since the minute he came in hear it was "what week will he take marks job". Fact is he cant cause he is NOT GOOD he is a NOVELTY. Remember when Browning Nagle was supposed to be able to throw the ball thru the uprights from the 50 on his knees cause his arm was so good? Where did that trick get him? Just like Tebow its a side show that has nothing to do with the actual game.

And to all you people that say "he's a winner ... he's a winner" please what were you watching a couple of "lucky" come back wins and thought that was Manningesk? Don't forget he finished on a 3 game losing streak and denver backed into the playoff only to get destroyed by the pats.

The same thing happened to Orton in denver that happened to sanchez. To me Tebow is a cancer only he will shake your hand buy you lunch kiss babies and do everything "right" but in the end is just a drag on the team as a hole.

Lastly I dare anyone to reasonably argue that Tebow would have had the same success in Denver this year as Manning has had WITH THE SAME PLAYERS!

vCash
    If I was on the jets staff, I would have defiantly found a way to use tebow,dude is a football player and I blame our coaches for this mishap that happened. I'm not even a oc and I could think of 5 different ways I would have used him. Every time he was in you knew it was a run..that's not tebow s fault
    NY JETS .we just can't win the games we need to win
    NY Yankees
    NY Knicks
    LETS BALL!!!

2013 NFL PSD MOCK DRAFT:
    1ST RD PICK 9: KEKE MINGO OLB
    2nd rd pick: Giovanni Bernard rb
    3rd rd pick: Zac dysert Qb
    4th rd pick: xavier nixon Og
    5th rd pick: D.C jefferson Te
    6th rd pick: Sio Moore Lb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast