Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drug use

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan1234 View Post
    Pot heads are addicts. This is coming from someone that is for legalization.

vCash
    People also get addicted to lottery tickets.

It's the individual, not marijuana. It's not like we're talking about heroin or cigarettes here.

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    Pot smokers do NOT need treatment. They are not addicts. Millions upon millions of regular pot smokers are 'normal', functioning members of society who pose no threat to anyone.

Just for ***** and grins, I'd like to see a study of gun ownership among regular pot smokers. I'd be willing to bet that very few own guns. The bottom line is that being stoned is an intrinsically non-violent state. I accept absolutely however, that addiction to certain hard drugs can lead to paranoid and schizoid behavior, and to violence. But not pot.
    For a minority of smokers there Is a set of compulsive behaviors that damages ones life and is addiction. Do you really think a drug that alters brain chemistry to that degree and is taken daily is not abused by some?. Marrijuana is not an opiate or a dopamine agonist yes, this is true, but there is no psychoactive drug taken daily that doesn't have the potential for addiction, certainly not one that produces such high rates of liking in a sub population of people.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    I'm just going to jump in here. I, personally, do not believe that the US should decriminalize all drugs. While I'm in favor of legalizing depressant drugs such as marijuana and even heroin, I'm definitely against the legalization of stimulant drugs such as cocaine and methamphetamine. As a stimulant drug, cocaine and methamphetamine can trigger violent behavior that can cause harm to others. Additionally, they're both highly addictive and, while I understand the argument that a person has the right and responsibility to determine what to do with their body, I think a lot of people need the illegality and difficulty to attain as a means to prevent them from using and abusing drugs. I realize that heroin is also highly addictive which is why there would have to be some type of incentive to legalizing it. At the very least, heroin is a depressant drug, so that's why I'm in favor of its legalization over addictive stimulant drugs.

vCash
    I get the feeling that many people believe that if we decriminalized drugs that we'd just let all the druggies and users do whatever they want. I'm sure the system would be setup like most other countries, where instead of locking a guy away for 5 years for being addicted to cocaine, they'd order him to mandatory treatment.

That has proven far more effective than throwing users in prison where they most likely become more indoctrinated in criminal soceity as it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GA16Angels View Post
    I'm just going to jump in here. I, personally, do not believe that the US should decriminalize all drugs. While I'm in favor of legalizing depressant drugs such as marijuana and even heroin, I'm definitely against the legalization of stimulant drugs such as cocaine and methamphetamine. As a stimulant drug, cocaine and methamphetamine can trigger violent behavior that can cause harm to others. Additionally, they're both highly addictive and, while I understand the argument that a person has the right and responsibility to determine what to do with their body, I think a lot of people need the illegality and difficulty to attain as a means to prevent them from using and abusing drugs. I realize that heroin is also highly addictive which is why there would have to be some type of incentive to legalizing it. At the very least, heroin is a depressant drug, so that's why I'm in favor of its legalization over addictive stimulant drugs.
    This is not something that is very likely. cocaine rages? I don't think the level of risk is something you have to worry about... Honestly an addict on downers, heroin, benzos, barbiturates or alcohol can be just as crazed when going through withdrawal.

vCash
    I think people are na´ve if they think that marijuana isn't addictive, or that people can't be addicted to it. I agree that marijuana addicts behavior isn't as destructive as addicts of other drugs, but to say that marijuana isn't or can't be addictive isn't true.

Edit: How many negatives did I just use, lol.
    Last edited by b1e9a8r5s; 01-09-2013 at 10:16 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b1e9a8r5s View Post
    I think people are na´ve if they think that marijuana isn't addictive, or that people can't be addictive to it. I agree that marijuana addicts behavior isn't as destructive as addicts of other drugs, but I to say that marijuana isn't or can't be addictive isn't true.

Edit: How many negatives did I just use, lol.
    Being 'habit-forming' and 'addictive' are two different things, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    Being 'habit-forming' and 'addictive' are two different things, IMO.
    Yeah but marijuana is factually an addictive drug.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    I've seen little evidence that support that belief. At the very least I know for a fact that this is not the consensus among the scientific community(meaning there may still be a debate about it)

BUT I have seen evidence that it can be, in fact, habit-forming.

People may show "dependence" on marijuana, but then again others show dependence on fast food and scratch off tickets.
    Last edited by The Schmooze; 01-09-2013 at 09:05 AM.

vCash
    I've seen little evidence that support that belief. At the very least I know for a fact that this is not the consensus among the scientific community(meaning there may still be a debate about it)

BUT I have seen evidence that it can be, in fact, habit-forming.

People may show "dependence" on marijuana, but then again others show dependence on fast food and scratch off tickets.
    No actually it is the consensus of the scientific community... There is a small minority who will claim that it is not addiction. As a matter of fact I have seen pro pot folks site people I have worked with claiming their work demonstrates the opposite of what it actually does. There is a physiological dependence on marijuanna that is accompanied by changes in receptors of synapses. There is tolerance and withdrawal. There is psychological dependence with aggression, anxiety and depression after discontinuation. No this is not coke or Heroin but as stated earlier there is not a psychoactive drug taken daily that isn't going to have this impact.

As far as "dependence" on fast food, you would be shocked at the impact of food on the brain. Hell a grapefruit can inhibit the cytochrome CYP2D6 interacting with priozac (or any SSRI) to lead to seritonin shock. People who think they are addicted to the caffine in soda may be shocked when they switch to diet sodas and realize that it was the lack of sugar not the lack of caffine responsible for headaches. Addicted to fast food... I don't know, addicted to the rush of dopamine associated with fatty food intake certainly.

"dependence" on scratch off tickets as you suggest would be a form of gambling addiction where there is a rush of dopamine associated with the risk. This rush repeated frequently (or due to low basal levels in the first place) can lead to a decrease in the avialability of dopamine receptors in the brain. Which is akin to what happens in cocaine or other stimulant addiction.

Behavior, food, and drugs all change the bichemestry of your brain and they can all be addiction of sorts. If you want to laugh off Marijuanna fine... But my stance is that both those who demonize it as bad, and those who want to claim it's not an addictive drug nor does it's smoke lead to cancer are ignorant and looking for self-fullfilling prophecies. I come down a little harder on the pro people, because as a pro person I expect more from my side.

I think Pot is a good thing. The evidence is that if initiated later in life there is no lasting impact on cognition (I will have to beg any child I have not to smoke till they get to college). The evidence is that most users do not become addicted and that use declines after the mid twenties for most people. This does not mean that there are not those who have serious life issues because of Marijuanna. It does impair driving ability. If taken while the brain is still developing it can impact cognitive abilities at least semi-permanantly. It does demotivate people. It does hurt short term memory.
    Last edited by flips333; 01-09-2013 at 10:45 AM.

vCash
    No actually it is the consensus of the scientific community... There is a small minority who will claim that it is not addiction. As a matter of fact I have seen pro pot folks site people I have worked with claiming their work demonstrates the opposite of what it actually does. There is a physiological dependence on marijuanna that is accompanied by changes in receptors of synapses. There is tolerance and withdrawal. There is psychological dependence with aggression, anxiety and depression after discontinuation. No this is not coke or Heroin but as stated earlier there is not a psychoactive drug taken daily that isn't going to have this impact.

As far as "dependence" on fast food, you would be shocked at the impact of food on the brain. Hell a grapefruit can inhibit the cytochrome CYP2D6 interacting with priozac (or any SSRI) to lead to seritonin shock. People who think they are addicted to the caffine in soda may be shocked when they switch to diet sodas and realize that it was the lack of sugar not the lack of caffine responsible for headaches. Addicted to fast food... I don't know, addicted to the rush of dopamine associated with fatty food intake certainly.

"dependence" on scratch off tickets as you suggest would be a form of gambling addiction where there is a rush of dopamine associated with the risk. This rush repeated frequently (or due to low basal levels in the first place) can lead to a decrease in the avialability of dopamine receptors in the brain. Which is akin to what happens in cocaine or other stimulant addiction.

Behavior, food, and drugs all change the bichemestry of your brain and they can all be addiction of sorts. If you want to laugh off Marijuanna fine... But my stance is that both those who demonize it as bad, and those who want to claim it's not an addictive drug nor does it's smoke lead to cancer are ignorant and looking for self-fullfilling prophecies. I come down a little harder on the pro people, because as a pro person I expect more from my side.
    I appreciate your post and opinion, which you have backed up with specific science. I don't mean to try and nitpick between something being "habit-forming" and "addictive". As you have proven, in the end if it changes the body physiologically, then you can absolutely argue that it falls into either one of these two categories, or both. I'll concede that.

I feel compelled to defend marijuana because of statistics on violence, deaths, and health effects associated with prescription drugs, cigarretes, and alcohol, which are all legal. Add to that how marijuana is classified as 'Schedule 1'(most dangerous) among other illegal drugs, which is crazy. However, my main reason is the denial of cancer, AIDS, MS, and other patients this drug because of government propaganda(funded by these same companies I mentioned above).

I also totally see your POV. Pro-people should always be able to develop a cogent argument on the matter.

vCash
    I appreciate your post and opinion, which you have backed up with specific science. I don't mean to try and nitpick between something being "habit-forming" and "addictive". As you have proven, in the end if it changes the body physiologically, then you can absolutely argue that it falls into either one of these two categories, or both. I'll concede that.

I feel compelled to defend marijuana because of statistics on violence, deaths, and health effects associated with prescription drugs, cigarretes, and alcohol, which are all legal. Add to that how marijuana is classified as 'Schedule 1'(most dangerous) among other illegal drugs, which is crazy. However, my main reason is the denial of cancer, AIDS, MS, and other patients this drug because of government propaganda(funded by these same companies I mentioned above).

I also totally see your POV. Pro-people should always be able to develop a cogent argument on the matter.
    Based on the truth, and it's own merits, MJ should be legal. I don't think it needs to be streched or sugar coated in order for people to see that it's not a drug that needs to be demonized. In fact, I am all for an informed populace as far as drug use is concerned. If one needs to lie to themselves when they use a drug then they probably shouldn't use it.

vCash
    I guess everything can be addictive. From my own experience back in college, yes a habitual user may crave for pot after a day or two without, but itis no where as earth shaking as going without liquor, cigarettes, or hard drugs. During my early years of pot use, I never seen anybody crave it like the before mention drugs. And I think most ex-users and non-users realize that fact. If you really want to talk about addiction, try giving up salt and sugar.
    Last edited by WES445; 01-09-2013 at 01:27 PM.

vCash
    For around 9% of all marijuana users. And marijuana withdrawal symptoms aren't that bad compared to pretty much ever other type of addiction.

Point is, it's hard to get addicted to marijuana and even if you do, it really isn't all that bad.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast