1 2.78%
  • Trade (Name the player)

6 16.67%
  • Other

2 5.56%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day LF

vCash
    Emilio Bonifacio or Adam Eaton. I don't trust that platooning will make us any better (or have a 3 WAR) and I don't think there is room for both Teheran and Delgado, so trade while their values are still high.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyRyback View Post
    Emilio Bonifacio or Adam Eaton. I don't trust that platooning will make us any better (or have a 3 WAR) and I don't think there is room for both Teheran and Delgado, so trade while their values are still high.
    First, Emilio Bonifacio or Adam Eaton? One of these is not like the other. As in, one is a young controllable potential star, and the other is an expensive glorified utilityman who might not even be that.

Second, when you say you don't trust platooning "to make us any better," you mean "better" relative to...what, exactly?

Third, I'm very open to criticism of my 3 WAR calculation for The Platoon. I'm sure there are ways to make it more accurate, but to just say "I don't believe it because I don't feel like it" is worthless to everyone.

Fourth, who says Teheran and Delgado are going to lose value if they're both kept? If they both pitch well, regardless of what level they're at, they can both hold their value. I don't disagree that Delgado can be moved (I want to keep Teheran), but I honestly just don't see who the Braves can acquire that would be a demonstrable upgrade. Eaton would be, but I can't see the Diamondbacks trading him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves_Fan_RSD View Post
    Hope not .707 OPS last season, platoon would out perform him easily and cost us nothing.
    In addition to this Delmon Young in left field provides roughly the same defensive value as us planting a tree out there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post
    I don't understand this comment. The best season of his career was in 2005, which is the second-most PAs he's ever gotten, and there doesn't appear to be any correlation at all between his playing time and his production. Plus, in general, more playing time probably means more at-bats against right-handed pitching, which is his weakness. And anyway, if he takes 37% of a 650 PA platoon, that's still only 240 PAs, which would be his fewest in a season since 2010.

So what makes you say he won't be able to handle the playing time?
    Gonzalez was saying at the end of last year that they wanted to keep him mostly as a PH because he tends to wear down and struggle more when played a lot. On top of that I think he will be exposed the more the plays.

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    I've heard Gattis has adapted to left field well. Hopefully he'll be able to carry on his success into spring training and will get a legitimate shot at winning left field. The platoon is better than overspending on a trade if Gattis isn't quite ready.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjaschler View Post
    In addition to this Delmon Young in left field provides roughly the same defensive value as us planting a tree out there.
    Lol, now that's funny. Sad tho...

vCash

heard where? word of mouth on the street? you talking to yourself? or is it in print somewhere? where are your sources, man!
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post

heard where? word of mouth on the street? you talking to yourself? or is it in print somewhere? where are your sources, man!
    It was a quote from I think DOB or Bowman about a week or so ago, trying to find it.

*edit
    Still looking thus far I've only come across this.
    Jim Powell ‏@Jim_Powell

Gattis' K-rate gives his offensive numbers great credibility. Got surprisingly good reviews defensively in left too. #Braves @kb_braves

but I think he's referencing the other quote I came across but at the moment can't find.
    Last edited by Fjaschler; 01-02-2013 at 11:57 AM.

vCash
    Not sure why Reed Johnson wouldn't be able to handle a full platoon vs. LHP. That is such a minor platoon to only start vs. LH starters, that he will not even start 80 games. I am not sure why a guy who has had continual mlb success vs. LHP wouldn't be able to handle it??? I would love to get someone out there, and if anything I am more worried about the other end of the platoon with Francisco playing vs. RHP every game. Just from the eye test of Francisco...I don't know if hacking like he does is an effective strategy for the longrun. He appears to be a little too aggressive at the plate, and that lack of discipline is going to get picked apart the more he plays. Just an eye test observation, but I know for sure that Reed's end would be fine. He's a straight professional hitter that can play good def and is made for the LHP platoon.

vCash
    thank you!!! not every quote has a source, but thank you for clarifying that it was DOB you heard.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    Gonzalez was saying at the end of last year that they wanted to keep him mostly as a PH because he tends to wear down and struggle more when played a lot. On top of that I think he will be exposed the more the plays.
    Could you cite the article or quote somewhere? I don't doubt you, but I don't recall that, and if Gonzalez did indeed mention this, it would be worth my consideration. I do still maintain, though, that the data doesn't support the notion that Johnson would have trouble with the amount of playing time he'd be asked to absorb as the short half of a platoon.

Quote Originally Posted by vtgriff09 View Post
    I am not sure why a guy who has had continual mlb success vs. LHP wouldn't be able to handle it??? I would love to get someone out there, and if anything I am more worried about the other end of the platoon with Francisco playing vs. RHP every game.
    I agree on this one. To me, if there's going to be a faulty link in the platoon chain, it's Francisco. He's the one that might get exposed by too much playing time. My fears about Francisco are mitigated somewhat by his upside, but I do have some confidence that at the end of the day, he'll at least pop enough homers to keep his OPS afloat, even if his OBP isn't good. But I agree that if I'm going to be concerned about the platoon, I'm more concerned about Francisco than Johnson.

vCash
    My vote is for Justin Upton

"I know one thing for sure; you won't be able to say that Braves fans don't care" Chipper Jones

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Will4Prez View Post
    My vote is for Justin Upton
    Would be nice but it seems D'Backs want everything for him...

vCash
    I would love to see J.Upton in Atlanta. Wren make it happen please!

vCash
    why not Gattis...
    "Some people live an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem." ~ President Ronald Regan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast