• Trade (Name the player)

6 16.67%
  • Other

2 5.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day LF

vCash

Opening Day LF

Wanted to get everyone's thoughts on who they think should be the opening day LF starter, or who they want to see.

vCash
    how about delmon young

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the brave eagle View Post
    how about delmon young
    Hope not .707 OPS last season, platoon would out perform him easily and cost us nothing.

Simmons over Harper!!!

WAR Stats:

2014 - Simmons 0.7 vs Harper -0.2
    2013 - Simmons 4.7 vs Harper 3.8
    Career - Simmons 7.6 vs Harper 8.1
    162 game average - Simmons 5.0 vs Harper 4.7

updated 5/22/14

vCash
    Platoon

vCash
    Gattis

vCash
    Mostly Gattis and a little Francisco platoon

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    If Gattis has a Spring anything like his Winter ball season I think he forces the issue. Pencil him into the 7 or 8 slot but be ready to move him right into the middle of the order if he produces.

vCash
    Gattis is still sketchy to me. He can homers, yes, but it seems like he's missing something.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

vCash
    I'm amazed how many people are prepared to hand the left field job to a 26-year-old with only 70 games under his belt above Low-A and who has only played 37 games in left field in his life. He can obviously mash, but hitting against A-ball pitching and Venezuelan Winter League pitching is a whole different ballgame than hitting against major-league pitching. He has a lot left to prove in my book, on both offense and defense. I won't be surprised if he does prove it, but I can't vote for him as the left fielder based on what I know now.

A free-agent signing or a trade seems highly unlikely at this point, given the dearth of available candidates who would actually represent a measurable upgrade from The Platoon.

Which leaves me voting for Martin Prado, because the Braves open against the Phillies and my best guess is that their Opening Day starter will be Roy Halladay, who is right-handed. This means that Juan Francisco plays over Reed Johnson, forcing Prado to the outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post
    I'm amazed how many people are prepared to hand the left field job to a 26-year-old with only 70 games under his belt above Low-A and who has only played 37 games in left field in his life. He can obviously mash, but hitting against A-ball pitching and Venezuelan Winter League pitching is a whole different ballgame than hitting against major-league pitching. He has a lot left to prove in my book, on both offense and defense. I won't be surprised if he does prove it, but I can't vote for him as the left fielder based on what I know now.

A free-agent signing or a trade seems highly unlikely at this point, given the dearth of available candidates who would actually represent a measurable upgrade from The Platoon.

Which leaves me voting for Martin Prado, because the Braves open against the Phillies and my best guess is that their Opening Day starter will be Roy Halladay, who is right-handed. This means that Juan Francisco plays over Reed Johnson, forcing Prado to the outfield.
    +1. I am just excited to see what Gattis is doing come the ASG break. Would be great for ATL and a hopeful playoff run if he can be a producer at the MLB level.

vCash
    I think Martin Prado will start the opening day game at 3B, doesn't mean he won't play alot of LF.

vCash
    Platoon

vCash
    We are going to try a platoon first (which is probably going to happen). But I think Gattis will force his way to be the starter.

vCash
    I'm not sure Reed can play in a full platoon. He tends to get worse the more he plays.

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    I'm not sure Reed can play in a full platoon. He tends to get worse the more he plays.
    I don't understand this comment. The best season of his career was in 2005, which is the second-most PAs he's ever gotten, and there doesn't appear to be any correlation at all between his playing time and his production. Plus, in general, more playing time probably means more at-bats against right-handed pitching, which is his weakness. And anyway, if he takes 37% of a 650 PA platoon, that's still only 240 PAs, which would be his fewest in a season since 2010.

So what makes you say he won't be able to handle the playing time?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast