Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Looks like Allen is good for 2013

Out with the old, in with the old? The Raiders have locked in their 10th straight season without a winning record, but it looks as though they will try something new this offseason. After firing head coaches Tom Cable and Hue Jackson the past two years after 8-8 seasons, Oakland looks as though it will retain Dennis Allen.

"It would be huge to not have a new coach come in again," right tackle Khalif Barnes said. "You want some familiarity and solidarity going into training camp, and not have to learn something new all over again."

Allen, in his first year, has led the Raiders to a 4-11 record going into Sunday's season finale in San Diego. First-year general manager Reggie McKenzie said he was "pleased" with the job Allen has done the last time he talked to reporters a month ago and cited salary-cap issues and a lack of draft picks as major obstacles this season.

Late owner Al Davis had a short fuse and didn't get along with Cable. Jackson was let go when McKenzie came in at the start of the year.

Davis' son, Mark, the new boss, is trying to take a longer view than his father. He and McKenzie gave Allen a four-year deal, and while Davis is disappointed in the team's record, he is resisting pulling the plug.

Players thought they were going to turn the corner with Cable and then Jackson, and some see similarities between those two and Allen. All hope is not lost.

"All three were good leaders," Barnes said. "They were all the same that way, even though they had different personalities and a different way of doing things. Regardless of how the season went, they all handled it well."

Receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey said it's obvious that players are still playing hard for Allen, just as they were for Cable and Jackson at the end.

"Their styles were different, but all three wanted the same thing, for guys to compete, to give effort," Heyward-Bey said. "Each year ended with things going in the right direction, and the coaches were let go for whatever reasons.

"This year, we had some injuries that messed us up, especially in the return game and then Darren (McFadden) went down for a little bit. This team has talent. We just have to execute better on both sides of the ball."

Barnes said one of the reasons players have handled the coaching changes well and are positive about the future is the great chemistry on the team.

"I love everybody in the locker room, and we all get along great," Barnes said. "We haven't gotten the results we wanted on Sundays, but that's not from a lack of hard work."

The one improvement Allen can hang his visor on is in penalties. Oakland set a record for most penalties with 163 last year. This season the Raiders have only 99 and are on pace for 106.

"He's done a good job with the penalties, making sure we're focused on being disciplined," Heyward-Bey said. "He's kept us aware of what's going on game in and game out, preparing us for our opponents very well."

Heyward-Bey agrees that bringing back Allen would be a nice change of pace for the Raiders going into next season.

"It would be nice to have the same coach back for a second year," Heyward-Bey said. "I know Mark Davis is committed to winning, and he's going to make the right decision."

Allen is confident that there will be more wins next season.

"There's been a lot of change," he said. "When there is a lot of change, sometimes you don't get the results that you're looking for right away. But when you believe in something, and you stick to it and you know it's the right plan, it ends up working out."

The 6-9 Chargers, meanwhile, are not going to stick it out and are expected to fire general manager A.J. Smith and coach Norv Turner after the season.

San Diego is set to finish with its worst record since going 4-12 in 2003.

vCash
    If Allen is confident in more wins next season, that means the Oakland Raiders are moving away from Carson Palmer. Allen maybe smart enough to know Palmer will get him fired, if not then you`ll see both men removed after the 2013 season.

McKenzie and Allen would not be very smart, to put fate in the hands of Carson Palmer.
    Last edited by the_firm_09; 12-30-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Reggie got played in a New York Minute

vCash
    [QUOTE=the_firm_09;24900954]If Allen is confident in more wins next season, that means the Oakland Raiders are moving away from Carson Palmer. Allen maybe smart enough to know Palmer will get him fired, if not then you`ll see both men removed after the 2013 season.

McKenzie and Allen would not be very smart, to put fate in the hands of Carson Palmer.[/

You really think that having Palmer at QB is our biggest issue that needs to be addressed? To me smart is improving the worst areas of our team next year. For now unless a better prospect comes along it would be smart in my opinion to keep Palmer.

vCash
    [QUOTE=raiderscott;24901025]
    Quote Originally Posted by

[B
    You really think that having Palmer at QB is our biggest issue that needs to be addressed? To me smart is improving the worst areas of our team next year. For now unless a better prospect comes along it would be smart in my opinion to keep Palmer.[/B]
    That is the worst area on the team, are you blind to the evidence? Carson Palmer can`t win football games, go ask the Bengals if they miss him. The 2 seasons he`s been gone they`ve made the playoffs, thats a red flag. The guy hasn`t won more than 4 games as a starter since 2009, he led the Raiders to 3 total points in the 1st quarter this season, 225 minutes of nothing but a field goal. Palmer had 2 drives the entire season over 5 minutes in length, good qb`s do this in in 1 game.

There`s no reason to keep him employed in Oakland, I don`t know what is wrong with you people.
    Last edited by the_firm_09; 12-30-2012 at 11:47 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_firm_09 View Post
    That is the worst area on the team, are you blind to the evidence? Carson Palmer can`t win football games, go ask the Bengals if they miss him. The 2 seasons he`s been gone they`ve made the playoffs, thats a red flag. The guy hasn`t won more than 4 games as a starter since 2009, he led the Raiders to 3 total points in the 1st quarter this season, 225 minutes of nothing but a field goal. Palmer had 2 drives the entire season over 5 minutes in length, good qb`s do this in in 1 game.

There`s no reason to keep him employed in Oakland, I don`t know what is wrong with you people.
    He's a 'good' QB - but he has a penchant to make the absolute worst mistake at the absolute worst time.

I'll shed no tears if he is shown the door after this season.

FWIW - I like Kirk Cousins. He's smart, disciplined and he won a lot of college games by utilizing his smarts and accuracy - with inferior talent around him, he competed with, and defeated, superior opponents.

As far as 'your' QB - I only got to see one play from the game yesterday, while I was at a large family gathering. I know Nassib, at some point, got lit up like a Christmas tree and got taken off the field - LMAO, that's the only play I saw.

I've never thought too highly of Nassib, but I've only seen him play in the Syracuse V Rutgers games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shred003 View Post

As far as 'your' QB - I only got to see one play from the game yesterday, while I was at a large family gathering. I know Nassib, at some point, got lit up like a Christmas tree and got taken off the field - LMAO, that's the only play I saw.

I've never thought too highly of Nassib, but I've only seen him play in the Syracuse V Rutgers games.
    Nassib was on the field the very next play, 2 td passes and 370 yards rushing for Syracuse through the rain, sleet and snow. Nassib led Syracuse to a 38 - 14 victory over West Virginia.

You`ll see this young man in the league, and if he`s on the other side of the ball, you`re not going to be a very happy camper.

Nassib already runs a pro style Saints no huddle offense, this kid is going to win in the NFL.
    Last edited by the_firm_09; 12-30-2012 at 12:19 PM.

vCash
    [QUOTE=raiderscott;24901025]
    Quote Originally Posted by the_firm_09 View Post
    If Allen is confident in more wins next season, that means the Oakland Raiders are moving away from Carson Palmer. Allen maybe smart enough to know Palmer will get him fired, if not then you`ll see both men removed after the 2013 season.

McKenzie and Allen would not be very smart, to put fate in the hands of Carson Palmer.[/

You really think that having Palmer at QB is our biggest issue that needs to be addressed? To me smart is improving the worst areas of our team next year. For now unless a better prospect comes along it would be smart in my opinion to keep Palmer.
    I agree keep Palmer. OC has to go he is so bad!

vCash
    [QUOTE=mickraider;24901105]
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderscott View Post

I agree keep Palmer. OC has to go he is so bad!
    Palmer averaged 1 point every 75 minutes of play in the first quarter this season, 225 total minutes and a field goal lol. It`s safe to say Palmer is done in Oakland, stop blaming everyone else for his failure he`s a terrible qb.

Go visit the Bengal board, they don`t miss him at all lol. Not to mention they`ve made the playoffs both seasons since he`s been gone.

vCash
    Im confused?
    so becasue Kalif barnes and DHB said it would be nice to retain the coach that means hes a lock for 2013?
    comeon Max....I expect more from you, your better then that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stephkyle7 View Post
    Im confused?
    so because Kalif barnes and DHB said it would be nice to retain the coach that means hes a lock for 2013?
    Apparently Barnes and Bey are now calling the shots lol

I wouldn`t expect Allen to say, we don`t expect to win more games in 2013.
    Last edited by the_firm_09; 12-30-2012 at 11:53 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stephkyle7 View Post
    Im confused?
    so becasue Kalif barnes and DHB said it would be nice to retain the coach that means hes a lock for 2013?
    Allen, in his first year, has led the Raiders to a 4-11 record going into Sunday's season finale in San Diego. First-year general manager Reggie McKenzie said he was "pleased" with the job Allen has done the last time he talked to reporters a month ago and cited salary-cap issues and a lack of draft picks as major obstacles this season.

Vic Tafur of the Chronicle wrote the column ,this particular part of the article is what struck me as a confirmation of his staying with the team. Say what you will about the record,pride aside it is the least of Allen's worries given what he had to work with and I can bet there wasn't a proven coach in this league that wanted this job even with the senior Davis gone. I've grew to expect the usual with Al Davis at the helm,but with him gone and the GM and staff of coaches we have now........I am more than willing to wait a little longer. Blame the GM,the coach ,the assistants but the players on the field have to be held accountable as well.

vCash
    Yeah, I'd like to hear what two players who will actually be in Oakland next year have to say, not two who are trying to sweet talk their way into keeping a job.

Ricky Stenhouse, Jr.
    Roush Fenway Racing #17 Ford Fusion

2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Rookie of the Year Winner

vCash
    Brady has done very well, he took the job from a great QB from my alma matter, who was a former #1 draft pick, all the more reason not to take a QB with a high pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Brady has done very well, he took the job from a great QB from my alma matter, who was a former #1 draft pick, all the more reason not to take a QB with a high pick.
    1 and 2 did fine this season, Wilson has done well not sure where he was picked.

Nassib is a very tough kid who isn`t Jamarcus Russell, he would be available 16 games and runs a pro no huddle offense.

Do we draft a middle linebacker or a defensive linemen who is lost for the season after game 6?

Taking a flier on Nassib isn`t gonna stop the world from turning, it`s more possible than ever before he could be a Raider qb for 14 - 15 years.

vCash
    Very few drafted classes are blessed with the likes of Luck, Griffin and Wilson, the last draft class I remember that strong was the class of 1983. I agree, if you can draft an Elway, you do it. It matters not Firm, I am going to pass on this forum anyhow, you may be right about Carson, I am just not ready to give up on him yet, enjoy the offseason!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast