Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Sounds like Kenny Phillips doesn't want to be a Giant next year...

HomeSearchCategories
    Giants' Kenny Phillips calls 2012 a 'long, frustrating season'Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger 12/28/2012 3:00 PM

Kenny Phillips hopes to play this Sunday against the Eagles. But he also hoped to play against the Ravens, too.

Just like this week, the Giants safety practiced each day leading up to the Ravens game and was listed as questionable with a right knee that has been ailing him since Week 4. But Phillips was inactive for the game.

"I was shocked. I had a great week of practice. The coaches were telling me how well I was doing," Phillips said. "I guess it just came down to, I guess, a numbers game, Iím not sure. Once again, they made the decision, and I just have to deal with it."

A "numbers game" must not have sat well with the former first-round pick and starter.

"Yeah, I was pretty (ticked) off," Phillips said. "But at the end of the day, thereís nothing I can do about it. Iíll just come to work and practice and work hard and let them make a decision."

Coach Tom Coughlin explained earlier in the week the decision to sit Phillips was based on if they thought he could play at a high enough level, and also filling the necessary roles on special teams -- the numbers Phillips referred to. It was the latest example of what Phillips described as a "long, frustrating year," since he injured his knee against the Eagles in September.

"Going into your last year (of your contract), you want to go out there, make a big splash, and just play as well as you can," Phillips said. "Especially coming off the Super Bowl. You feel good about your chances of repeating, get hurt early and then... Like I said, itís been real frustrating. Youíre on the field, and youíre off the field; you can play this week, you canít play this week. Itís just been a long season, Iíll put it like that."

Phillips said he has been dealing with both an MCL sprain and a PCL injury. He was vague on the specifics other than to say, "I had some things, Iíll leave it like that." He said he won't need offseason surgery -- "that's one of the biggest things I was trying to avoid," he said -- but aspects of his rehab and return to the field have frustrated him.

Phillips wound up sitting out six games, through the bye, before re-injuring the knee in his return against the Packers. He played in a very limited role the following week against the Redskins but has not returned to the field since. Phillips repeated what he said earlier in the season, that he wished more rest was part of the initial rehab.

"There's a lot of things I would change, but like I said, a lot of it is out of my control," Phillips said. "I just have to listen to what the trainers say and the doctors say. Even though theyíre not perfect, theyíre humans also. So theyíre capable of making mistakes, and I understand that. So, I'd definitely do a lot of things over, I think theyíll say the same thing. It is what it is now."

He added: "We had a few guys on the team with PCL injuries; itís new for our team just trying to figure out how to handle them. And they're all different, none of them are the same. Itís hard to say sit out or rest or you're OK, or maybe run this week. It was just one of those processes with all of us. It probably hurt me the most, to be honest with you."

Stevie Brown stepped in ably as a starter in Phillips' absence, recording seven interceptions, and Will Hill has allowed the Giants to still be able to use their three-safety package. But Phillips' absence has been tangible.

"When you donít have your playmakers on the field, itís going to show," Phillips said. "I feel like I've played a big part on this defense. I donít want to say it's a drop-off because Will Hill played great, Stevie played great. But you're just used to playing with a certain group, chemistry is built, morale. Your play feeds off each other. I think itís a difference."

Phillips' five-year rookie contract is up after this season. He admits the possibility of this being his last game with the Giants has "crossed my mind" -- but his main focus is being able to play this week. Phillips hasn't asked his agent if there have been contract talks with the Giants yet, but he is confident in his NFL future, despite the frustration of injuries in a contract year.

"Whether it be with the Giants or someone else, I feel that what I've showed over my career, I feel like I will be able to play football somewhere," Phillips said.

Would he prefer to stay with the Giants? Phillips grinned and laughed.

"I'm just trying to get back on the field," he said.

When it was pointed out to him that's a different answer than players usually give, Phillips repeated, "I'm just trying to get back on the field."

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com; twitter.com/JennyVrentas

NJ.com has free mobile phone apps for Giants, Jets and Rutgers football. Download today for iPhone or Android.
    http://mobile.nj.com/advnj/pm_29222/...tguid=uLqGI9ls

I don't blame him, the way they have handle his injury and the fact he practiced well all week and didn't even suit him up but yet suit prince and he didn't even contribute begs to question are they purposely trying to bring his value down?

Quote Originally Posted by PraiseJesus View Post
    My PREDICITON OF LEBRON GOING TO THE KNICKS WAS SPOT ON!!!!

JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

I'M NEVER WRONG

FREE MY SOURCE PraiseJesus

vCash
    If I was Kenny I would want out too. He has to be frustrated with everything that's gone on this year from his injury to the Giants performance. To me, the big reason for sitting him is the Giants knew they wouldn't be bringing him back, so they wanted to get the younger guys as much field time as possible. I can't see how he's on the team next year. He's still a great safety, and will probably still draw heavy interest in the open market. With Reese's "next man up" thinking, you have to believe he'd bring back Stevie Brown cheap and hope Hill and Sash take the next step. I don't think its the right move, since clearly our defense is different with KP roaming around back there, but it is hard to see it going any other way. Money has to go to extending Cruz, saving for Nicks & JPP, and filling big holes on both lines and getting some depth at corner. Unfortunately Kenny doesn't seem to be in the plans.

vCash
    I don't see anything that says he doesn't want to be a giant next season. He had a frustrating injury that they're taking special caution with that A) is different case to case, B) can come back and reinjure very easily and C) protecting one of the most important players on the defense.

Title of thread very misleading

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    I remember when LT played with a broken arm...he was making tackles with one arm. Mark Bavaro had a career day with a broken jaw...breaking tackles and scoring TDs. Ronnie Lott pinkie got smashed in between two helmets...he had the team doctor cut his pinkie off so he could go back into the game.

The new CBA has reduced practice days and limit contact during practice....these *****es today aren't prepared to play like back in the day. They cry about every ****ing thing. Just be ready to play and stfu.

Damn I missed those days.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    we can give brown a decent contract to replace him. while i understand that both kp and rolle did their part in helping us win, i don't think either really earned their contracts. kp's wasn't as lucrative, but it's not one i'd like to renegotiate. we have other big contracts we need to consider this offseason. we need as much cap space as possible.

vCash
    5 minutes after i typing my post above, stevie brown reeled in his league tying 8th interception.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYGTom View Post
    I don't see anything that says he doesn't want to be a giant next season. He had a frustrating injury that they're taking special caution with that A) is different case to case, B) can come back and reinjure very easily and C) protecting one of the most important players on the defense.

Title of thread very misleading
    Obviously you didn't read the last quote and they asked him if he wanted to be a Giant and just said he just wants to get back on the field. Even Osi knowing he's not going to be a giant said he would rather be a giant. Kenny didn't making seem like he doesn't want to come back and frankly I don't blame him

JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

I'M NEVER WRONG

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by musclemenace View Post
    5 minutes after i typing my post above, stevie brown reeled in his league tying 8th interception.
    Tim still holds the leads

JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

I'M NEVER WRONG

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants #1 Fan View Post
    Obviously you didn't read the last quote and they asked him if he wanted to be a Giant and just said he just wants to get back on the field. Even Osi knowing he's not going to be a giant said he would rather be a giant. Kenny didn't making seem like he doesn't want to come back and frankly I don't blame him
    That quote doesn't mean jackshit about whether he wants to be a Giant or not. He's just frustrated with something that is beyond anyone's control bc the Giants want him healthy and they want his health to be long-term.
    Last edited by NYGTom; 12-30-2012 at 05:26 PM.

vCash
    Giants lose Kenny. Giants will get burned just as they did when he was NOT on the field. D line is not the same anymore!!!

Cannot replace a damaging scary hard hitting safety who is around the ball all day long type of player. Don't see his injury slowing him down any n he's pretty young.

Giants better keep him. We need that 3 safety look. D line needs a revamp!!! Gotta keep the back end solitified.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RolleWebster View Post
    Giants lose Kenny. Giants will get burned just as they did when he was NOT on the field. D line is not the same anymore!!!

Cannot replace a damaging scary hard hitting safety who is around the ball all day long type of player. Don't see his injury slowing him down any n he's pretty young.

Giants better keep him. We need that 3 safety look. D line needs a revamp!!! Gotta keep the back end solitified.
    I havent seen KP hit hard in a while

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rique View Post
    I havent seen KP hit hard in a while
    been injured n the ball really doesnt come nor reach his level of play! Defense was amazing ya know...

n you KNOW boy can hit".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RolleWebster View Post

R we talking about the same guy here lol...I cant remember when the last time KP made a play....its time 2 part ways hes 2 Damm fragile......T2 would make a good safety....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by #1 cali giants View Post
    R we talking about the same guy here lol...I cant remember when the last time KP made a play....its time 2 part ways hes 2 Damm fragile......T2 would make a good safety....
    wow you guys bail on your men....

I mean at least keep him for another year or two. let Will Hill develop a tiny bit more. Geezz T2?? he is a big body n physical but that is lame. Kenny doesnt make plays cause he's deep in the back n anchoring or D. He does plenty trust...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by musclemenace View Post
    we can give brown a decent contract to replace him. while i understand that both kp and rolle did their part in helping us win, i don't think either really earned their contracts. kp's wasn't as lucrative, but it's not one i'd like to renegotiate. we have other big contracts we need to consider this offseason. we need as much cap space as possible.
    ^^^Couldn't agree more. Kp is COMPLETELY expendable, and so is anyone else who less than a a star and/or injury prone.

My keepers on D are JPP, Antrel, SJohnson, Amukamara, and Holsey. I think little of the rest of em. It's time for a MAJOR retooling of the D.

On second thought, keep ole #93, too. The kid's got heart and a nose for the ball. We def need more of that.
    Last edited by E1HatesDWilpons; 12-31-2012 at 12:42 AM.
    Twoz for Cruz!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast