Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

What another SOLID WR would do for this team?

Hear me out and dont get me wrong. I think Houston is going to play a great game sunday. But what the team has failed to realize is the need for a legitimate
    #2 WR.
    Walter isnt Bad, but he certainly is not good either.
    In Houston's young NFL lifespan, They have yet to make a big time draft day deal. Constantly trading down a spot to fill positions.
    THIS is the year they pull a move on draft day to grab the Best WR available. Allen from Cal seams to be a good fit.
    Thoughts?

vCash
    I disagree that we will move up. Completely against this admin's style, and I don't see that changing now. Furthermore, there seem to be 2 positions that we have very poor ability in scouting: WR (by far...several useless picks) and DB (Keo, Harris, CarMichael, among others...all duds). Therefore, I would much rather this team trade or go to FA to acquire proven WR talent, the same way we did with J Jo and D Manning. Let our draft position stay put and draft the positions that we seem to be able to scout well: LB, DL, RB, OL.
    My other question about this is, does our offense even lend itself to utilizing a legit #2 WR? I mean, we are a run-first offense already, and then we love passing to the TE's and RB's. So is a possession guy like Walter or Keyshawn Martin all we really need? I seem to think so.
    My offseason moves, off the top of my head, would be:
    - Release Walter. I think he has a big salary number this year. Give the spot to Martin and see what he can do.
    - Let Barwin walk. He has been disappointing and someone will offer him more than we can.
    - Resign (or franchise) Glover Quin. He has been very solid.
    - I am on the fence about this, but depending on Cody's cap number, release him and give the job to Earl Mitchell.
    - See if we can resign Forsett and James Casey to reasonable contracts
    - Trade Ben Tate for a late 1st or early 2nd round pick, if possible.
    - Let all the other expiring contracts (Butler, Caldwell, McCain, etc) walk.
    - Not sure where this would leave us cap-wise, but go to FA for some quality depth at LB.
    As for the draft: Rounds 1-7
    ILB, NT, OLB, DB, OL, RB, WR.

Thoughts?

vCash
    we'd be lucky to get a mid to late 4th for tate now
    The Most Epic Thread EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Yea what is he thinking not wanting to drive next to or near drunk people. I have never met a more sheltered scaredy cat. As a hobby i find 10-15 homeless guys and give them lots of alcohol and play bumper cars all day but im normal.

vCash

Agreed

A solid WR2 make this team ELITE all around. They NEEED to draft up and grab the best WR available. Walter may be one of the least productive #2 WR in the AFC.

vCash
    The problem is there is no clear cut stud talent at WR this year. With Julio jones there was a consensus: AJ Green 1, Jones 2, and both were gonna be studs. This year there is a lot of depth. You can get good receivers that might have #1 potential well into the 2nd roud this year (Williams, Allen, hunter, hopkins, Patterson, woods, Rodgers, Austin, etc), but no clear cut superstars. This isn't the year to trade up for a WR. It's the year to let talent fall to you (would love Williams at our pick) or trade back and get great value
    Yea what is he thinking not wanting to drive next to or near drunk people. I have never met a more sheltered scaredy cat. As a hobby i find 10-15 homeless guys and give them lots of alcohol and play bumper cars all day but im normal.

vCash
    who said that noone has realized the need for another wideout? go look into the preseason threads and most of us here had our favorite out of all the young guys ... jean,martin,posey ... they didnt really contribute at all this year, well martin did field kicks and stuff, but no real eye opening, consistent play. each one had a play or two here and there.

another WR would be nice, a burner isnt necessary due to the QB. I'd like a big target who can run solid routes. Im almost positive the first pick in the draft will be OL. Its the most glaring need at this point in time. I can see a 2nd used on a WR if the talent dictates, but does no good to this team right now.

jean can break a play. martin has good hands. posey is big and physical (almost too much) and on sunday one of these guys, if not all 3 will need to contribute in some form or fashion if this team is to advance.

"If I had to pick a center [for an all-time best team], I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people. And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. He was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him." -Michael Jordan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbal Christ View Post
    who said that noone has realized the need for another wideout? go look into the preseason threads and most of us here had our favorite out of all the young guys ... jean,martin,posey ... they didnt really contribute at all this year, well martin did field kicks and stuff, but no real eye opening, consistent play. each one had a play or two here and there.

another WR would be nice, a burner isnt necessary due to the QB. I'd like a big target who can run solid routes. Im almost positive the first pick in the draft will be OL. Its the most glaring need at this point in time. I can see a 2nd used on a WR if the talent dictates, but does no good to this team right now.

jean can break a play. martin has good hands. posey is big and physical (almost too much) and on sunday one of these guys, if not all 3 will need to contribute in some form or fashion if this team is to advance.
    i still think posey can be a good contributor next year. we all knew from the get go he wouldnt play much this year due to being out practically all of his last year in college and the way this system runs, you have to know your routes in your sleep to be successful. i see him as a solid, consistent #3 WR next year.

thats what i love about this upcoming draft: most of the top talent are physical guys who can run those intermediate routes, even if they also have burner speed, it's great.

i'd actually take it the opposite way. it's clear to me that one of brooks and/or jones will be the RG next year (and with another year to play together and learn i think they will be fine). RT is the position to get upgraded and the end of round 2 is the perfect time to do it. round 1 doesnt give you enough value in return for a RT unless its an absolute stud (and i dont see a stud RT falling). give me hunter, williams, or hopkins round 1 (or ogletree ) and a RT round 2 and id be happy

vCash
    I been saying that for the longest! That will take some pressure off Andre Johnson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by astrosmaniac View Post
    i still think posey can be a good contributor next year. we all knew from the get go he wouldnt play much this year due to being out practically all of his last year in college and the way this system runs, you have to know your routes in your sleep to be successful. i see him as a solid, consistent #3 WR next year.

thats what i love about this upcoming draft: most of the top talent are physical guys who can run those intermediate routes, even if they also have burner speed, it's great.

i'd actually take it the opposite way. it's clear to me that one of brooks and/or jones will be the RG next year (and with another year to play together and learn i think they will be fine). RT is the position to get upgraded and the end of round 2 is the perfect time to do it. round 1 doesnt give you enough value in return for a RT unless its an absolute stud (and i dont see a stud RT falling). give me hunter, williams, or hopkins round 1 (or ogletree ) and a RT round 2 and id be happy
    and I can admit I was wrong about Jean. not gonna call him a bust yet, but i was disappointed. he did bust a couple, but he isnt consistent at all. i like the size of posey, he's got solid hands. i think they can all get better, martin apart from being able to field kicks, bothers me with his lack of size. i know its not that big a deal for the position, but its just my take.

both brooks and jones are not that good ... yet. if that great RT,or RG is there you have to take them at the end of the first. It all starts with what the offensive line does, and to me that is where they should look, and with what you said there should be enough receiving talent this year where we should be able to find a guy in the 2nd round.

"If I had to pick a center [for an all-time best team], I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people. And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. He was in the top seven in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him." -Michael Jordan

vCash
    I agree, I just don't think there will be a great RT or RG at the end of the first

vCash
    i say we test free agency for a reciever we obviously need a number 2 option cause after andre and owen daniels we have nothing

Greg Jennings possibly wont sign back to greenbay
    Last edited by goku; 01-13-2013 at 09:44 PM.