Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrighter View Post
    I know a Nike basketball rep that works in recruiting players for Nike sponsorship. He has inside knowledge, doesn't tell me much but he did tell me that it is well known in the league that Toronto is the only organization that has the GM calling the shots all the way down to lineups coming out after half-time. Casey was frustrated at the many "suggestions" management would give him. How many times have we heard Casey respond to 'why play Bargnani so many minutes?' questions by saying "He's our guy."?

How can you even compare, Bargnani was playing the worst basketball out of all of those names mentioned by a fair margin. Same argument can be made for Lowry except people tend to forget that through the first 3 games Lowry was the fantasy scoring leader. After he came back from injury he was still putting up the best numbers on the team. So you can't defend an inferior player to a superior player with that argument because naturally, the superior players are the ones who lead the offence.

The motion offence doesn't have set plays. That type of offence has the players running patterns with multiple options while 'trusting the pass'. When Lowry went down the second time, Jose didn't slow the pace of the offence down. The pace was still uptempo, it's just that we had better chemistry on offence and defence. Bargnani should be traded unless he accepts a minimal role off the bench and meshes in well with the newly formed apparent identity.
    Yes...Lowry was putting up good INDIVIDUAL numbers. I'm not arguing he isn't a special player, I'm saying he wasn't doing well at incorporating his team and was playing a very unorganized and eratic game offensively, and even defensively for that matter. You are right that the Motion offence doesn't have set plays - the Motion is the set play. Everything runs out of the initial set up. As a coach and player for the past 25 yrs, this is the only offense I run. The thing is that Lowry, as the quarterback of the team, and Casey for that matter, failed to recognize that the team on the floor wasn't able to transition defensively at the pace that Lowry was playing. It isn't a bash necessarily on Lowry per say, but it is part of his job as PG to manage the team offensively to allow the defense to work properly. I think the biggest thing that has happened since the injuries is that we are playing a game that incorporates everyone, and we are working the clock offensively in a way that will allow for proper defensive transition - thus the good performance ppg during this streak (and yes I understand we are playing weaker teams). I think that Calderon came in and has shown that patience in the Motion will allow for better shot selection and also allow for better defense transition. Lowry has seen this and seems to be doing the same thing. But more importantly we have a team that has commited to moving without the ball, and this is one of the biggest reasons we are seeing improvement. It would be interesting to see how Bargs would fit in with this as he is an above average passer. all just my opinion

I do believe that Bargnani has a role on this team, and I believe it is off the bench. That said, I am also ok with him being traded as I think that this would be good for him long term in the league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tmath View Post
    bargnani was always the problem.

He was out most of last year, thats why are defense was good.

Get rid of this noodle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapsfanforlife View Post
    Yes...Lowry was putting up good INDIVIDUAL numbers. I'm not arguing he isn't a special player, I'm saying he wasn't doing well at incorporating his team and was playing a very unorganized and eratic game offensively, and even defensively for that matter. You are right that the Motion offence doesn't have set plays - the Motion is the set play. Everything runs out of the initial set up. As a coach and player for the past 25 yrs, this is the only offense I run. The thing is that Lowry, as the quarterback of the team, and Casey for that matter, failed to recognize that the team on the floor wasn't able to transition defensively at the pace that Lowry was playing. It isn't a bash necessarily on Lowry per say, but it is part of his job as PG to manage the team offensively to allow the defense to work properly. I think the biggest thing that has happened since the injuries is that we are playing a game that incorporates everyone, and we are working the clock offensively in a way that will allow for proper defensive transition - thus the good performance ppg during this streak (and yes I understand we are playing weaker teams). I think that Calderon came in and has shown that patience in the Motion will allow for better shot selection and also allow for better defense transition. Lowry has seen this and seems to be doing the same thing. But more importantly we have a team that has commited to moving without the ball, and this is one of the biggest reasons we are seeing improvement. It would be interesting to see how Bargs would fit in with this as he is an above average passer. all just my opinion

I do believe that Bargnani has a role on this team, and I believe it is off the bench. That said, I am also ok with him being traded as I think that this would be good for him long term in the league.
    Great post sir

"Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. Wild Thing tried for the corner and missed."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapsfanforlife View Post

completely agree

thing is with bargnani is that i rather see him off the bench at this point rather than trading him because there is a short window for bargnani to raise his tradestock and it won't raise much, so we will take in contracts we don't want, or meaningless picks just to get rid of him. it will not be equal value

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Byronicle View Post
    completely agree

thing is with bargnani is that i rather see him off the bench at this point rather than trading him because there is a short window for bargnani to raise his tradestock and it won't raise much, so we will take in contracts we don't want, or meaningless picks just to get rid of him. it will not be equal value
    Agree. I'd rather run him for the rest of the season on limited minutes and strategic moments then see him traded for nothing or something meaningless.

vCash
    Bargs needs to go - if not by the trade deadline, then by the offseason. There's no question Davis is the future PF of this team. He and JVal will be an amazing tandem for the forseeable future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jays Claw View Post
    Bargs needs to go - if not by the trade deadline, then by the offseason. There's no question Davis is the future PF of this team. He and JVal will be an amazing tandem for the forseeable future.
    This. Bargs could still contribute and the team should try and bring his trade value back up to not get totally ripped off, don't disagree there. And maybe, with more movement away from the ball as was previously mentioned, Andrea can finally do better. However, even more important than the fact that the team is working well together right now, there are signs of life for the future of this team. Davis is doing quite well filling in and putting him back on the bench, or limiting his mins by splitting them with both Amir and Bargs, I see neither as a good thing.

People have complained in the past about the future development of the Raps well here's a glimpse of the team to come in the likes of Ross, Davis and JVal. This should be encouraged not limited, and really that means getting rid of Bargnani.

vCash
    I'm glad casey appears to be in charge or rotations again. I think the decision not to start lowry goes beyond a lowry-calderon competition for minutes, in that he now has the freedom to sit bargs if he has to coming back.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678