Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 113

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Toronto ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,408
    vCash
    3890

    Dwane Casey... revisited

    So early on and during the Raps' slump, many of you were calling for Casey's head by pointing out his lack of offensive strategizing, poor roster management, and overall worthlesness defensively with our current group of players.

    FIRE CASEY!!!

    Now, with the Raps' resurgence mainly due to Casey's defensive sets (look it up - the winning streak is because of the defense disallowing opponents to score over 100 pts, disallowing opponents to score a high FG%, out-rebounding, & overall ball movement on offense) along with more minutes to key players like Ross and Anderson, do we still keep Casey moving forward? Or do we let him go when ownership ultimately fires BC? Or were we all just hasty with our words regarding Casey's job during the Raps' losing streak?

    Discuss...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    37,156
    vCash
    1090
    Good to see Casey has finally made the team try to buy into defense again. Casey needs a better assistant coach to help him with offensive plays. If he doesn't have that, his peak is basically Mike Brown. Good defensive coach but needs a star to bail him out offensively.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    21,566
    vCash
    1500
    Bargnani was always the problem.

    He was out most of last year, thats why are defense was good.

    Get rid of this noodle.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    18,450
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmath View Post
    Bargnani was always the problem.
    The problem or A problem.

    Valanciunas played poor man D (due to size), made many rookie mistakes & got plenty of rookie calls against.

    Casey changed the pace, offensive scheme & gave the keys to Lowry, who ended up forcing his game.

    Raptors got little to no production out of the SF position. Fields was literally averaging 2 ppg in his first 5 games started.

    3 new starters, one just breaking into the league

    Schedule & some poorly officiated games

    Casey with some poor rotations

    None of these things played a factor, the problem/solution was as simple as removing Bargnani.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,649
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    The problem or A problem.

    Valanciunas played poor man D (due to size), made many rookie mistakes & got plenty of rookie calls against.

    Casey changed the pace, offensive scheme & gave the keys to Lowry, who ended up forcing his game.

    Raptors got little to no production out of the SF position. Fields was literally averaging 2 ppg in his first 5 games started.

    3 new starters, one just breaking into the league

    Schedule & some poorly officiated games

    Casey with some poor rotations

    None of these things played a factor, the problem/solution was as simple as removing Bargnani.
    Bahahaha no comment
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    18,450
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    Bahahaha no comment
    Laugh all you want, Bargnani was not the sole reason this team started the season 4-19.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,649
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    Laugh all you want, Bargnani was not the sole reason this team started the season 4-19.
    no of course not. he was a big part of our struggles. put it this way - no one is suggesting that we would have been 23-0 instead of 4-19 if he'd played better. but his terrible play might have been the difference between a team that was 4-19 and a team that was meeting the modest expectations people had of it before the season started.

    trying to win with Bargnani playing 30+ mins is like trying to drive a car with the parking brake on - possible but much harder than it should be.
    Last edited by Jamiecballer; 12-30-2012 at 07:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    570
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    Laugh all you want, Bargnani was not the sole reason this team started the season 4-19.
    Lol, of course not the sole reason, but he was the MAIN reason.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    18,450
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmath View Post
    Bargnani was always the problem.
    .

    My response was asking Tmath the question, THE problem or A problem.

    You know the post you originally posted laughter too, saying you didn't want to dignify it with a response.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,649
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    .

    My response was asking Tmath the question, THE problem or A problem.

    You know the post you originally posted laughter too, saying you didn't want to dignify it with a response.
    first off B2B you should know my sense of humor is a little off. i wasn't saying i wouldn't dignify it with a response. i was laughing because you were being sarcastic at the end, saying it was all Bargnani's fault. sarcasm is so unlike you. normally you probe and ask questions, it was like i could actually see you throw up your hands from my computer lol.

    there is a huge difference though between imperfections and problems. i don't think anyone is suggesting that there aren't a lot of imperfections on this team.
    Last edited by Jamiecballer; 12-30-2012 at 09:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    18,450
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    first off B2B you should know my sense of humor is a little off. i wasn't saying i wouldn't dignify it with a response. i was laughing because you were being sarcastic at the end, saying it was all Bargnani's fault. sarcasm is so unlike you. normally you probe and ask questions, it was like i could actually see you throw up your hands from my computer lol.
    I don't use sarcasm, mainly because I don't post with any emotion or bias.

    What I asked was not sarcasm but a question to the possibilities I had previously listed.

    I'm under the impression from Tmath the solution to wins was a simple as removing Bargnani, which I disagree with.

    In this current stretch of wins, Calderon's play has been impressive, there was an ease in schedule, Anderson came back & produced at SF, Amir began closing out games over Jonas, Ross has played better, Casey slowed the pace & most importantly, better team unity.

    Davis' 25mins subbed in for Bargnani could be considered a contributing factor but far from the only reason this team has turned a corner. Raptors have been out rebounded & outscored in the paint over this stretch, save 1 or 2 games & Kleiza who has taken some of Bargnani's mins and has not played well, outside of one game.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,747
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by tmath View Post
    bargnani was always the problem.

    He was out most of last year, thats why are defense was good.

    Get rid of this noodle.
    x 2

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,354
    vCash
    1500
    I have 2 points to make...

    1. Yes, hasty would be the perfect way to describe some of the opinions expressed in recent weeks. It's almost like one person starts a "fire Casey" trend, and then a bunch of people who don't seem to have minds of their own start following the trend without giving it much though. I'm not saying Casey is a superstar coach or anything, but he sure as hell doesn't deserve to be fired so early in the season. Give him a chance with this team, especially considering the new faces and lack of chemistry. Having said that...

    2. It's easy to play defense, move the ball, and play hard, etc. when you're going up against horrible teams lol. As the season progresses, we'll get a clearer picture on how good (or bad) a coach Casey is. I don't think we should evaluate him, or any of the players on our team until the season is over. Then we make decisions, trades, etc. (with the exception of Bargs of course, that dude gotta go asappppp)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    865
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Vdot View Post
    I have 2 points to make...

    1. Yes, hasty would be the perfect way to describe some of the opinions expressed in recent weeks. It's almost like one person starts a "fire Casey" trend, and then a bunch of people who don't seem to have minds of their own start following the trend without giving it much though. I'm not saying Casey is a superstar coach or anything, but he sure as hell doesn't deserve to be fired so early in the season. Give him a chance with this team, especially considering the new faces and lack of chemistry. Having said that...

    2. It's easy to play defense, move the ball, and play hard, etc. when you're going up against horrible teams lol. As the season progresses, we'll get a clearer picture on how good (or bad) a coach Casey is. I don't think we should evaluate him, or any of the players on our team until the season is over. Then we make decisions, trades, etc. (with the exception of Bargs of course, that dude gotta go asappppp)
    we all agree on this

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,271
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Vdot View Post
    I have 2 points to make...

    1. Yes, hasty would be the perfect way to describe some of the opinions expressed in recent weeks. It's almost like one person starts a "fire Casey" trend, and then a bunch of people who don't seem to have minds of their own start following the trend without giving it much though. I'm not saying Casey is a superstar coach or anything, but he sure as hell doesn't deserve to be fired so early in the season. Give him a chance with this team, especially considering the new faces and lack of chemistry. Having said that...

    2. It's easy to play defense, move the ball, and play hard, etc. when you're going up against horrible teams lol. As the season progresses, we'll get a clearer picture on how good (or bad) a coach Casey is. I don't think we should evaluate him, or any of the players on our team until the season is over. Then we make decisions, trades, etc. (with the exception of Bargs of course, that dude gotta go asappppp)
    #2 especially. Right now, our team is doing what it was supposed to be doing from the start. Beating the middle of the pack teams. When the schedule comes around again, we'll see how we stack up against playoff teams, and that'll determine where he's at as a coach and we are as a team.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •