Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Pablo Prigioni's Argentinian Diary

An Argentinian Pablo Prigioni fan left this in one of our threads. Thought everyone might want to take a look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Manutrix View Post
    Greetings from Argentina! I'm a Spurs fan (go figure!) but ever since Prigioni joined the Knicks, I've been following this team too.

You might want to check this out. It is the first of a series of columns Prigioni will be writing for the leading sports journal in Argentina chronicling his experience as a Knick. I tweeted to Jonah Ballow, Tina Cervasio and Alan Hahan all about this, but I guess it was lost among the many tweets they must be getting on a daily basis. Of course, I had provided a translation as well for non-Spanish speakers.

Feel free to share this on the other popular Knicks forums (******, ultimateknicks, and knicksnonline) if you have an account there too.
    English Translation:

Now I know a different world - December 4, 2012

Playing in the NBA is different from everything else. The difference with any other team in the world is in the degree of organization. I came to realize this after a little detail in our first trip with the Knicks: the private plane landed right next to our cars, parked with the lights and the heater on, ready for us to drive them home. Not to talk about the plane, which has huge seats for players, making longer trips much more comfortable. Our plane is shared with the NY Rangers.

There is a big infrastructure surrounding our team. There are a lot of people working to assist with every detail. For example, we have two cooks at the training facility making food all the time for players. Two dietitians come here twice a week to make sure we are eating healthy food. It was at the training facility that all health check-ups prior to the season were performed. They even set up the dentist’s office there! When I first arrived in the city with my family, the Knicks appointed 3 assistants for me: one for doing paperwork, another one for house shopping, and a lady to find a school for my kids.

We finally settled in White Plains, close to the Knicks training facility and less than an hour’s drive from Manhattan. Playing in New York is special because it is one of the best cities in the world. Thousands of tourists come to our games at the MSG as another attraction. They take it as seeing a Broadway play or visiting the Statue of Liberty or going up the Empire State Building. I got to do some sightseeing the first three weeks when we shared a lot of time with Mirza Teletovic’s family, a center from Bosnia who played with me three years in Spain and now happens to have joined the Brooklyn Nets.

The team is in good spirits thanks to a good season start. I have already been noticed in public in a few places. One morning I walked into a supermarket, a shop assistant came to me and as we fist bumped he congratulated me on the game the night before. I am also surprised by the large number of reporters covering the Knicks. After playing the Washington Wizards, I had 20 reporters surrounding me at the locker room. One of them told me: “You now realize what it means to have a good game playing for the Knicks?”. Not even playing for Real Madrid did I see so many reporters... My only problem is I suffer through the interviews in English, but I’m not ashamed to ask if I didn’t understand something. I am little by little getting familiar with the language, as with this new world.
    Last edited by Knick4Knack; 12-29-2012 at 11:39 PM.

vCash
    You can tell he is true professional, maybe it comes with age, but nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by DoMeFavors View Post
    I honestly dont think Knicks are good but thats me, maybe thats cause I dont watch them they are boring to me and Nets already beat them.
    Classic DMF.....

Quote Originally Posted by waveycrockett View Post
    We have our foot on the Bulls throats with a gun pointed between their eyes. Now we are about to pull the trigger.
    Classic wavey......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by javsvt View Post
    You can tell he is true professional, maybe it comes with age, but nice to see.
    Best 35 year old rookie ever!!!!

vCash
    He's such a class act.

I'm studying abroad in Argentina starting in February. It should be interesting to see all the Prigioni fans and hopefully Knicks fan's out there. I'ma wear my Knicks jersey and hopefully attract attention to fellow International Knicks fans

vCash
    Love Pablo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gRaNdMasTaMaSh View Post
    He's such a class act.

I'm studying abroad in Argentina starting in February. It should be interesting to see all the Prigioni fans and hopefully Knicks fan's out there. I'ma wear my Knicks jersey and hopefully attract attention to fellow International Knicks fans
    Cool! Are you coming to Buenos Aires? You might be disappointed though! Unfortunately, basketball is not even our second most popular sport after football (soccer). It might be in places like Córdoba (Prigioni's hometown) or Bahía Blanca (Ginobili's hometown, where I'd go as far as to say it's probably the most popular sport, but of course that's the exception every rule has). Still, last time I went to my football team game, I saw someone wearing a Knicks (Carmelo) jersey...

BTW, I've never been there, but if you ever need to catch a Knicks game, I hear this bar gets most NHL and NBA games.

PS: Nicely done, Knick4Knack. Do tell me how you want to go about this, please. I think it's better if all updates are added on first post. Easier to spot and read, but that's just me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Manutrix View Post
    Do tell me how you want to go about this, please. I think it's better if all updates are added on first post. Easier to spot and read, but that's just me.
    Ultimately, that will be a decision for the mods (29JerZ, Still-a-Fan, Weezy & PC). When necessary, they merge threads, which is what they might do in this case. Private message them, they are really good at responding.

Thanks again, Manutrix. I love everything Pablo brings to this team and look forward to reading more of his diary entries.

vCash

Pablo's 2nd Journal Entry: per Manutrix

Quote Originally Posted by manutrix View Post
    i was also working on the translation of the second (and latest) column that will shed some some light on the whole spike lee affair/purple incident.

here it is. By the way, thanks for spreading the word and opening a new thread for these!! Much appreciated! Do you want to handle the updates so that all new columns are added to the first post? I'll try and do my best to keep working on translations if the community here finds them interesting.
    English translation

Lights, camera, big show - December 21, 2012

Spike Lee is known all around the world as a film director, but he’s also the most famous Knicks fan, has a courtside seat and gets along well with players. He had a nice gesture with me for which I feel grateful. Against the Cavaliers he asked me which size I was and so the following game against the Rockets he turned up with a pair of kicks as a present. He told me I couldn’t wear the purple ones anymore, because they look like Lakers sneakers, but that old model fits like a glove and the new pair hurts my toes. I was trying to explain this to him so that he wouldn’t get upset. On top of that, it’s impossible to get the model that fits me in orange. I would have loved to wear those he gave me. I will commit myself to finding a solution in the short term.

When we play at the MSG, many celebrities come to the game. For example, the night we beat the Lakers, Ben Stiller was there, he’s my favorite actor, he’s great in all movies. I look at the seats during pre-game warmups, when I’m calm, but as soon as the game starts I forget about the outside world. I’ve already spotted some Caja Laboral jerseys that bring good memories. I’ve also met many Argentineans and even got to talk to some of them. I spot them immediately because they’re the ones screaming to me from the stands. Since the season began, I’ve always had guests at the games, many coming from Spain and others flying from (my hometown) Río Tercero, everyone on vacation in New York. This can only happen because I’m playing in this city.

There were two renowned coaches who paid a visit to our training facilities. One day it was Pep Guardiola, who left Barcelona and settled in Manhattan. We got to chat a little. He told me he likes basketball, so maybe he will accept my invitation and come to one of our games. Bobby Knight also came to visit, his tenure as a coach in Indiana marked an era and he was our coach Mike Woodson’s mentor when he was a player. He gave us a nice talk on the game. He even made a joke as he was leaving: he said if he finds out we have stopped playing defense with tenacity, he will come back to the gym and lead a practice. He has a tough guy reputation.

There were also two events put together by the Knicks in the last week. There was a year-end party for players, family and staff held at a reception room. It was nice sharing a meal with so many people. We don’t hang out with teammates as much as in Europe because we spend a lot of time out of town so when we have free time we stay at home. Before that, I engaged in my first charity activity. The Knicks foundation chose 9 families that had been Hurricane Sandy victims, took them to a supermarket and donated a thousand dollars for each person to spend on what they needed. I went with a Dominican family that had lost a lot of things from their home. I was happy to help out. It’s not always about the show.

Video: Pablo & Spike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLjz66cAkqI

Thanks to Manutrix!
    Last edited by Knick4Knack; 12-30-2012 at 02:07 AM.

vCash
    Love hearing good things about your hometown from those who have never experienced it before
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    Pablo Escobar is the man.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation that’s critical. He’s one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.”

vCash
    This is great!!! A priceless experience for Priggs. Glad to have him

Standing on Sacred Ground

When the season starts and the blatant homerism subsides, people will realize the 2 biggest flaws on our team. MAYBE??

the home of Heavy D, Ben Gordon, Diddy, Denzel washington and me
    vCash
    Great posts..... Keep it going.... Please don't merge this thread mods....

vCash
    Love this thread! Keep them coming and Thanks for the read!

vCash
    Nice read. Players who read this would love to come to ny. By the way he mentioned in his 2nd journal that bobby knight joked he would come back and lead a knicks practice if our guys stop playing defense, ihope he does that, we've been losing our tenacity on d the past few games...

It's party time!

vCash
    I enjoyed reading them. Some sentences are "lost in translation" and thus lose some meaning/impact...but still, great reads.

Ewing dunk past Mourning
    GIFSoup
    DANTONI IS:
    -HORRIBLE out of timeouts
    -HORRIBLE D
    -Too many 3's
    -PF is pushed to the 3 point line
    -Doesn't play BIGS
    -Dog Houses players
    -HORRIBLE management of players and motivation

[QUOTE=Knick4Knack;22330620]
    Go out on your front lawn, take a dump and see how long your neighbors will talk about that little slice of life. That's what Mike D did to this franchise./QUOTE]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast