Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I would rather NOT punt on the season, but it seems that Sandy insists on doing so.

That being the case, why not just use these young arms? Why buy an older 5th starter on a 1 year, $5m contract when we could see what we have with a couple of these young guys? Meanwhile, we would be (hopefully) be pocketing the $5m difference for next year.

Probably has something to do with contract controls or something. I don't really know how that works.

Or use that $5m (or whatever) to get yourself the most solid, but not spectacular OF'er left on the market on a multi-year contract instead, so we'll have that building block in place to work with for next year? I want to see the "building" moving forward by adding to the here and now, not just moving "backward" by acquiring future pieces like Syndergaard.
    Last edited by StoicSentry; 12-31-2012 at 02:40 AM.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    Paulie, are you forgetting that the Official Borough Motto of Brooklyn was "Wait 'til next year"? Yes, the Dodger teams of my youth, from '47 to '57, were great teams, and fun to watch. But more often than not, in the final analysis, they resulted in heartbreak. They taught me that the game can still be a lot of fun, whether you win or lose. (Naturally, I'd much rather win.) Still, I'm an optimist. Last year we were in contention until the break. Maybe this year we can go deeper. But whatever we do, I'll enjoy it.

I do have fun watching young players develop. Using your stat of 1 in 3 making it, and maybe a very few of them could become stars, I look at what we have down on the farm and I am very encouraged. Pitchers in waiting, like Wheeler, Syndergaard, Camarena, Tapia, Montero, DeGrom, Pill, Varrett, Fulmer, Mateo, Robles, Lara, Cessa, Ynoa, Matz, have star potential, even if only a few of them develop into major league starters. Isn't it going to be fun to watch their progress? And that's not even mentioning some of the stellar bull pen arms we have down there either.

If Santana gets off to a strong start, if Francisco pitches decently out of the pen, I will eagerly await to see what Sandy does with them at the deadline. I'm hoping that he can pull off some trades that add one or two more elite prospects to the mix.

I usually go to 4 or 5 games a season with my whole family, and we always have a great time. This year I am also planning to go to 4 or 5 ST games in March. Win or lose, I'm going to have me some fun.

I'll raise my glass with you, in the hope that we are both healthy and alive when they win their next flag. I don't think we'll have to wait 27 years. Whenever it is, however, I'll be in heaven, figuratively, not literally, hopefully, when they do. I just hope I have an unobstructed view.

I wish I can be as optimistic as you. But, I've played a lot of competitive, recreational team sports throughout my lifetime and I just hate losing.

Lets just hope we win a WS sooner than later.

My Vote For 2014 Mets Starting SS.

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    If our top 20 are the following I figure six or seven of the top 10 will make it as regulars, a few will become stars, and two or three of the second 10 will make it:
    Ten Years ago, Reyes and Wright were position prospect studs at the top. Heilman was a bit over-rated. The current positional talent isn't as good, but I think there may be much better depth. So maybe more than 6 "regulars" (including good pen arms) on that list, and maybe as many as 10 if you include guys not listed yet (mainly Evans, Rosario, Robles, DeGrom, Pill, Goeddel, Ynoa, Reynolds, Gorski, Leathersich). I would bet we get 3 or 4 just out of those next 10.
    Last edited by acerimusdux; 12-31-2012 at 08:15 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    That being the case, why not just use these young arms? Why buy an older 5th starter on a 1 year, $5m contract when we could see what we have with a couple of these young guys? Meanwhile, we would be (hopefully) be pocketing the $5m difference for next year.

Probably has something to do with contract controls or something. I don't really know how that works.
    Yeah, by keeping Wheeler in the minors until mid-June, they delay his free agency one more year. Plus, he hasn't pitched in AAA yet. They could give McHugh a spot, but he's probably best used as the insurance guy who will step in in the case of the inevitable injury. And Mejia could use a little more development as a SP, though they seem to be considering letting him take his lumps in MLB if they don't sign someone.

Keep in mind though, someone decent on a one year deal, like Marcum or Saunders, could also have a little value at the trade deadline if he's pitching well.

vCash
    I believe June is the super 2 mark, not the year of free agency. I believe that date is something like April 28th, its much earlier on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramlaen View Post
    I believe June is the super 2 mark, not the year of free agency. I believe that date is something like April 28th, its much earlier on.
    Ah yes, they delay arbitration one year, not free agency.

I think it's more about player development though, than the few million extra it would cost them having that extra year of arbitration. Wheeler deserves a chance to pitch in AAA first. And Familia and Mejia, who have pitched in AAA, are seen more as pen arms right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    I don't think Mejia or Familia have the control to be effective starters.
    Stats show that after the injury Mejia was better as a starter than a relief pitcher. He could surprise.

vCash
    I wouldn't include Lutz. He's been in the system for 6 seasons of which only one he hasn't missed substantial time do to injuries. Havens has been in the system for 5 seasons and he only played half a season at Brooklyn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post

I think it's more about player development though, than the few million extra it would cost them having that extra year of arbitration. Wheeler deserves a chance to pitch in AAA first. And Familia and Mejia, who have pitched in AAA, are seen more as pen arms right now.
    This organization moves propects at a slow pace so I doubt there will be anyone rushed up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post

Wheeler does have some AAA time. He's ahead of where Harvey was last season, so I feel he should come up by May, not July like Harvey.

vCash
    Why do people keep putting CHris Young and Shaun MArcum in the same category? Young is a solid #5 who has a 50/50 shot of missing significant time due to injury. Look at Marcum's last 4 seasons. He's missed some time but not a ton, and he's a solid midl rotation starter. If Santana is healthy, a rotation of Santana, Harvey, Niese, Marcum, and Gee is a very solid rotation, and those first 4 are playoff caliber. Sign Marcum and we don't need to worry about the rotation unless serious injuries happen. Let Mejia Familia, Carson, and Edgin all have a spot in the pen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post

I wish I can be as optimistic as you. But, I've played a lot of competitive, recreational team sports throughout my lifetime and I just hate losing.

Lets just hope we win a WS sooner than later.
    Hey, nobody likes losing. But you have to be philosophical after years of seeing your team win some and lose some. Mets, Giants, Knicks and Rangers have all had their droughts, and the world doesn't end. So I can always enjoy the high spots of this year and then look forward to next year.

A WS title in the near future. That's what we should be looking towards. See you at Citi.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    Why do people keep putting CHris Young and Shaun MArcum in the same category? Young is a solid #5 who has a 50/50 shot of missing significant time due to injury. Look at Marcum's last 4 seasons. He's missed some time but not a ton, and he's a solid midl rotation starter.
    Young is currently healthy. Most seem to think Marcum isn't. There's a reason the pitching weak Brewers didn't want him back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    Why do people keep putting CHris Young and Shaun MArcum in the same category? Young is a solid #5 who has a 50/50 shot of missing significant time due to injury. Look at Marcum's last 4 seasons. He's missed some time but not a ton, and he's a solid midl rotation starter. If Santana is healthy, a rotation of Santana, Harvey, Niese, Marcum, and Gee is a very solid rotation, and those first 4 are playoff caliber. Sign Marcum and we don't need to worry about the rotation unless serious injuries happen. Let Mejia Familia, Carson, and Edgin all have a spot in the pen

The love-affair with CY absolutely baffles me, he is a 5 inning at best starter who bores me to tears, he's as slow as Trachsel almost.

I just don't get why Mets fans fall in love with Pelfrey's and Young's. It just amazes me.

vCash
    We aren't expecting to do much in the division & we're probably a season away from Harvey/Wheeler really establishing themselves anyhow...IMO, we should go with the current pitchers/OFers in our system at the beginning of the season & see how they do...by midseason, see how the team is doing and whether any of these guys have stood out before going down the tired, old route of bringing in flawed veterans at increased salary...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast