Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Can We Count On Familia, Mejia, Edgin and Carson?

After Santana, Harvey, Niese and Gee and while waiting for Wheeler will SA sign a retread to give us 150 innings [CYoung, Marcum?] or go Kiddie Corps and give Mejia and Familia a shot? [And please don't suggest McHugh or Hefner who combined to go 4-11 with an ERA over 6.00 last year in 17 starts]. After Francisco and Parnell and Byrdak if he is healthy and productive can we go into 2013 counting on Edgin and Carson to round out the pen? Could be fun to watch or downright dreadful...as all four showed flashes but none had an ERA under 4.50.

Is saving $2M on a starter and maybe $2M on a pair of veteran relievers worth turning off fans if we have another season of failure on every fifth day or in the 6th and 7th innings? If the team shows some promise we will buy tickets and show up...1,000 extra fanniies in the seats generates at least $50,000 per game----x 80 dates and that's the $4M I just mentioned is paid for. Another 5,000 per game adds $20M to the bottom line...enough to help make real improvements next off season.

It will be fun to see Wheeler, Syndergaard, Montero, Tapia, Goeddel, Gorski and others make their way up the ladder this summer. These 12 youngsters may make for an interesting staff by 2015.
    Last edited by rdg515; 12-29-2012 at 10:30 PM.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    They will have their struggles this year but I believe that there's a good chance they develop into a group of very good bullpen pitchers for us. I don't think Mejia or Familia have the control to be effective starters.

I would rather have them be good/very good setup men, or maybe even closers, then have them be average starters. Either of them could be included in a trade package that brings over a good player to help make the push into 2014 and beyond.
    Last edited by MetsFanatic19; 12-29-2012 at 10:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    After Santana, Harvey, Niese and Gee and while waiting for Wheeler will SA sign a retread to give us 150 innings [CYoung, Marcum?] or go Kiddie Corps and give Mejia and Familia a shot? [And please don't suggest McHugh or Hefner who combined to go 4-11 with an ERA over 6.00 last year in 17 starts]. After Francisco and Parnell and Byrdak if he is healthy and productive can we go into 2013 counting on Edgin and Carson to round out the pen? Could be fun to watch or downright dreadful...as all four showed flashes but none had an ERA under 4.50.

Is saving $2M on a starter and maybe $2M on a pair of veteran relievers worth turning off fans if we have another season of failure on every fifth day or in the 6th and 7th innings? If the team shows some promise we will buy tickets and show up...1,000 extra fanniies in the seats generates at least $50,000 per game----x 80 dates and that's the $4M I just mentioned is paid for. Another 5,000 per game adds $20M to the bottom line...enough to help make real improvements next off season.

It will be fun to see Wheeler, Syndergaard, Montero, Tapia, Goeddel, Gorski and others make their way up the ladder this summer. These 12 youngsters may make for an interesting staff by 2015.
    why do you always think our team will consist of all players from our minor league system? No team will ever have all 12 pitchers on their ML club be call-ups from their farm....nor should we wish for that cuz most of these guys u mention won't be very good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    why do you always think our team will consist of all players from our minor league system? No team will ever have all 12 pitchers on their ML club be call-ups from their farm....nor should we wish for that cuz most of these guys u mention won't be very good.
    Of course they all won't make it...injuries, lack of development, trades, etc. always occur...my point is that it's nice to have a lot of arms to choose from...you figure we have four of them established and if half of the other eight make it that's 8 pitchers as a core of the staff within the next two or three years. In the '80s we had Gooden, Aguilera, McDowell, Myers and Sisk make it while West joined Aguilera and Tapani and Whitehurst in the Viola trade, Schiraldi was used to get Ojeda, Allen and Ownbey got us Keith, Darling was acquired with [I]Terrell[/I] for Mazzilli [and Terrelll swapped in a steal for HoJo], we stole El Sid for a backup infielder and Cone for Ed Hearn, Youmans was supposed to be a star but was in the Carter trade, and a bunch of other kid pitchers never made it. But having all of those talented young arms is the right place to start building a winner. These 10 homegrown pitchers plus four acquisitions helped make us champions....look back in a few years to see how the current 12 turn out.
    Last edited by rdg515; 12-29-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Of course they all won't make it...injuries, lack of development, trades, etc. always occur...my point is that it's nice to have a lot of arms to choose from...you figure we have four of them established and if half of the other eight make it that's 8 pitchers as a core of the staff within the next two or three years. In the '80s we had Gooden, Aguilera, McDowell, Myers and Sisk make it while West joined Aguilera and Tapani and Whitehurst in the Viola trade, Schiraldi was used to get Ojeda, Allen and Ownbey got us Keith, Darling was acquired with [I]Terrell[/I] for Mazzilli [and Terrelll swapped in a steal for HoJo], we stole El Sid for a backup infielder and Cone for Ed Hearn, Youmans was supposed to be a star but was in the Carter trade, and a bunch of other kid pitchers never made it. But having all of those talented young arms is the right place to start building a winner. These 10 homegrown pitchers plus four acquisitions helped make us champions....look back in a few years to see how the current 12 turn out.
    Problem is with you is that literally every single year you make these posts about how nice it is to have all these young minor leaguers to look forward to, and every yr you add names to the list because just about all of them from the previous yr end up sucking big time. Next yr or in two yrs will be the same thing. You'll make the same post again and a new group of names cuz the ones u listed now will mostly suck.

vCash
    Problem is with you is that literally every single year you make these posts about how nice it is to have all these young minor leaguers to look forward to, and every yr you add names to the list because just about all of them from the previous yr end up sucking big time. Next yr or in two yrs will be the same thing. You'll make the same post again and a new group of names cuz the ones u listed now will mostly suck.

vCash
    My own opinions. I'm not sure Familia or Mejia will survive the off season without one of them being traded. If they do, Mejia will compete for the 5th starters role with whoever they sign as a free agent, be it Marcum, Saunders or Young. (neither of whom would be bad at all) If Mejia doesn't make the cut, I think he will go to Las Vegas, where he will await a call up when needed. Hefner and McHugh will provide additional depth, starting the season at AAA, although one of them could be the long man in the pen.

Familia is slotted to join a pen that includes Francisco, Parnell, Edgin, one new major league FA signing, and then a few young Met prospects vying for spots. I see Carson competing with Elvin Ramirez, Armando Rodriguez and Greg Burke for what may be the one or two spots up for grabs.

This should be a really fun season to watch. By August we may have a rotation of Harvey, Niese, Gee, Wheeler, Mejia or new guy, and a bull pen of Parnell, Familia, Edgin, new guy, Carson, Rodriguez (not K-Rod) and Ramirez or Burke.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    I'm an optimist...you're a pessimist....in the end I have more fun.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    I'm an optimist...you're a pessimist....in the end I have more fun.
    actually, I'm a realist...you're an unrealistic fan who sets yourself up for failure every yr. I have more fun cuz I don't get let down every yr like you. Just sayin...

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    My own opinions. I'm not sure Familia or Mejia will survive the off season without one of them being traded. If they do, Mejia will compete for the 5th starters role with whoever they sign as a free agent, be it Marcum, Saunders or Young. (neither of whom would be bad at all) If Mejia doesn't make the cut, I think he will go to Las Vegas, where he will await a call up when needed. Hefner and McHugh will provide additional depth, starting the season at AAA, although one of them could be the long man in the pen.

Familia is slotted to join a pen that includes Francisco, Parnell, Edgin, one new major league FA signing, and then a few young Met prospects vying for spots. I see Carson competing with Elvin Ramirez, Armando Rodriguez and Greg Burke for what may be the one or two spots up for grabs.

This should be a really fun season to watch
    . By August we may have a rotation of Harvey, Niese, Gee, Wheeler, Mejia or new guy, and a bull pen of Parnell, Familia, Edgin, new guy, Carson, Rodriguez (not K-Rod) and Ramirez or Burke.
    For heaven's sake dun, and with all due respect as a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, how can you have fun watching and spending money on the 2013 team that may win perhaps 69-72 games?

The essential formula for pitchers is that one of three minor league pitchers make it to the bigs. Reaching the majors does not ensure success either.

Perhaps our BP will look like a young accomplished Braves/Nationals squad or then again, we may look like recent versions. I wonder where Blaine Boyer, D.J. Carrasco, Miguel Batista, Pat Misch, Ryoyo Igarashi, etc. are?

Haven't you been through enough losing seasons since '62. You, I and a fortunate few on this forum have experienced '69 &'86. Plus, it's going on 27 years without a WS Championship and counting.

I hope we're both healthy and alive when they win the next flag. Let's just hope it's not another 27 years or we might be in an uncompromising position of sorts. Watching the game in a coffin may not be the most comfortable place......

Shea Stadium Scoreboard May 31, 1964

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since 1987
    Los Angeles Kings 2012 and 2014 Stanley Cup Champions -
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    I'm not a big fan of Meija to be honest. I think counting on the four of them collectively is madness.

You have to be realistic and not all will prove useful.

vCash
    As we are already relying on a very young Matt Harvey and two pitchers coming off major injuries (Santana and Gee), I think it would be smart to sign a veteran. Marcaum is underrated, I consider him a solid #3 starter when healthy...meaning he is probably way out of our price range. Chris Young seems more likely...
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    Josh Edgin, COF.

The only problem is I have no idea when the F will come.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Meija to be honest. I think counting on the four of them collectively is madness.

You have to be realistic and not all will prove useful.
    Yeah, I think what really messed him up was him getting the call in 2010 and putting him in the pen. He should've been starting in the minors every year until he was ready.

I still think he and Familia could potentially be two good pitchers to come out of the pen for us if they can find their control.
    Last edited by MetsFanatic19; 12-30-2012 at 11:38 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    As we are already relying on a very young Matt Harvey and two pitchers coming off major injuries (Santana and Gee), I think it would be smart to sign a veteran. Marcaum is underrated, I consider him a solid #3 starter when healthy...meaning he is probably way out of our price range. Chris Young seems more likely...
    Who isn't out of their price range? it's absolutely ridiculous.

I'm very sad to say that despite 6 forgettable years and 7-8 big contracts off the books they still could not care less for the on the field product.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast