Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Zosky

vCash

Eddie Zosky

I was interested to know what the big deal with him was? I understand he was a well thought of prospect in the early 1990's, but looking at some minor league stats I have no idea why!

vCash
    Let's not go down this road...

lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by will_87 View Post
    I was interested to know what the big deal with him was? I understand he was a well thought of prospect in the early 1990's, but looking at some minor league stats I have no idea why!
    He wasn't highly regarded because of his minor league numbers. He was highly regarded because of his college career (he's a member of the Fresno State University Athletic Hall of Fame.) He was pegged as the shortstop of the future for the Jays, based on his first round selection, his college numbers and largely because they had no other real shortstop prospects in the system at the time. It was basically his job to lose. Which he did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fmradioguy View Post
    He wasn't highly regarded because of his minor league numbers. He was highly regarded because of his college career (he's a member of the Fresno State University Athletic Hall of Fame.) He was pegged as the shortstop of the future for the Jays, based on his first round selection, his college numbers and largely because they had no other real shortstop prospects in the system at the time. It was basically his job to lose. Which he did.
    Yup, pretty much. The Jays are unusually good at having "Shortstops of the future" that don't pan out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Korac View Post
    Yup, pretty much. The Jays are unusually good at having "Shortstops of the future" that don't pan out.
    And the few that do we trade away----> Michael Young

vCash
    I don't think most people even realize that Michael Young has been the worst defensive SS of the last decade. He is that bad. Worse than Jeter. He's not a SS, he's a DH and has no business playing defense.

vCash
    ^^ i was under the impression that jeter was an average defender at worst? However, i have never really put much analysis into his defensive game. This is just what i heard.

unless you were making some kind of joke that i misunderstood, lol

vCash
    And yet he had a solid 6 years or so where his bat was so good that despite the subpar glove at short he was still a pretty damn valuable player at a position where the Jays' were dreadful just about all the way through the time between trading away Tony to the point they acquired Yunel. Obviously he shouldn't be playing up the middle at 36 years old (or however old he is), doesn't mean he wasn't a pretty good player in his prime.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BTBAM View Post
    ^^ i was under the impression that jeter was an average defender at worst? However, i have never really put much analysis into his defensive game. This is just what i heard.

unless you were making some kind of joke that i misunderstood, lol
    Jeters not average. He's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    And yet he had a solid 6 years or so where his bat was so good that despite the subpar glove at short he was still a pretty damn valuable player at a position where the Jays' were dreadful just about all the way through the time between trading away Tony to the point they acquired Yunel. Obviously he shouldn't be playing up the middle at 36 years old (or however old he is), doesn't mean he wasn't a pretty good player in his prime.
    Problem is, his UZR shows he was costing his team. Yes, great offensively, horrible defensively. He shouldn't even be playing a position which drops his value drastically. If he were a first basemen or a DH throughout his career, like he should have been, he suddenly doesn't look so good. People see a SS putting up nice numbers with the bat and lose their **** without even paying attention to defense. Jeter receives a tonne of flak, as he should, as Young should too.

vCash
    There are a number of reasons why Young was/is overrated, but to argue that he should have been at 1B/DH in his prime or to compare him to 1B/DH's for some reason is absurd. 2B? Now you have an argument, but there was no reason to take him out of the field.

vCash
    There are a number of reasons why Young was/is overrated, but to argue that he should have been at 1B/DH in his prime or to compare him to 1B/DH's for some reason is absurd. 2B? Now you have an argument, but there was no reason to take him out of the field.
    What does his prime have to do with him always being a ****** shortstop? he was bad pre,during and post-prime. Anyways, this sums up my point-

Defense is interesting part of this equation, obviously. Back before Jeters’ 2009 resurgence at shortstop, he was the topic of much consternation, as the defensive numbers for him were execrable. He’d lost 40.4 UZR runs in his past four years and was described as the worst defensive shortstop of the era. Unfortunately for Young, that wasn’t quite true. Since 2002, only one shortstop has had a worse UZR total than Jeter (-42.4). That shortstop is Young (-55.6). In 2008, Young was switched off the position and lost four runs of positional replacement value with his move, on average.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...g-derek-jeter/

vCash
    Well considering he hasn't been a shortstop since 2008, what else could you have been talking about when you said he's not a SS? Surely not the past couple of years, since, y'know...duh. I'm not sure how Jeter helps prove whatever your point is either. Jeter rode the subpar glove+awesome bat thing all the way to being one of the top 5 SS's to ever play the game. Young's the same type of player, except no one's arguing that he's anywhere near Jeter's level. All in all he was a solid if incredibly overrated SS, is that not true?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    I don't think most people even realize that Michael Young has been the worst defensive SS of the last decade. He is that bad. Worse than Jeter. He's not a SS, he's a DH and has no business playing defense.
    Bitter much?

His offensive production was good enough to overlook his poor defense. If Russ Adams hit like Young he'd sti be the starting shortstop.

vCash
    Well considering he hasn't been a shortstop since 2008, what else could you have been talking about when you said he's not a SS? Surely not the past couple of years, since, y'know...duh. I'm not sure how Jeter helps prove whatever your point is either. Jeter rode the subpar glove+awesome bat thing all the way to being one of the top 5 SS's to ever play the game. Young's the same type of player, except no one's arguing that he's anywhere near Jeter's level. All in all he was a solid if incredibly overrated SS, is that not true?
    He's not a SS as in he never should have been put at the position in the first place. It's a defense first position. Jeter is similar, he's all bat and no defense, when a guy is worse at short than Jeter, and the general consensus is that he's a good SS, when the numbers clearly state otherwise, that's where I see the problem. People loved Young for the position he played, and you yourself pointed out his supposed value. He holds value IF he can play defense too. Otherwise, he's just another Adam Dunn. The value diminishes considerably when the guy sucks at half the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nithanyo View Post
    Bitter much?

His offensive production was good enough to overlook his poor defense. If Russ Adams hit like Young he'd sti be the starting shortstop.
    My god, it's as if you didn't even read what I posted. Do you understand the stats? This is the same as people who believe Jose Reyes is miles ahead of Yunel Escobar. OMG he hits! he hits! defense? who cares! this guy can hit!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast