Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Lowry to come off bench for Raptors. Possibly trying to deal him?

Thoughts? good idea? what does this mean for Lowrys future here? also saw a report saying Raps are trying to package him, but it was from Bulls writer Sam Smith( a notorious BSer) so take it with a grain of salt, but after reading Jose will start, it may have some validity. A package of Bargs (I assume) and Lowry could get you something good in return.

"The Raptors have won five straight and one of their big surprises has been Michigan State’s Alan Anderson. He’s bounced around teams in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and the D-League the last seven years and basically after sitting all season is averaging 17 points in the last four games, all Toronto wins. … Though he’s out now injured, the Raptors supposedly would like to put Kyle Lowry in a trade package and keep Jose Calderon. The Raptors give up 11 more points per game when Lowry is on the court compared with Calderon. … "

The bridge is coming up quickly on the horizon and Dwane Casey is going to soon have to cross it.

Injured Raptors point guard Kyle Lowry is close to returning to the active list and the team’s coach — who said last week he would “cross that London Bridge when he came to it” — will have a difficult decision to make.

Lowry took part in a full practice here on Christmas night and could play as early as Friday in New Orleans after missing six games with a partially torn right triceps muscle.

The Raptors won five of the first six games Lowry missed and took a season-high five-game winning streak into a matchup with the Spurs here Wednesday night.

And because of the leadership shown by veteran Jose Calderon, Lowry will come off the bench whenever he gets back.

“Jose has earned the position,” Casey said before the game. “Jose has played as well as any point guard we’ve had this year so that’s where it is right now.

“We’ll see in the next couple of days but right now Jose is the starting point guard and has done a solid job of running the team, building trust, directing the young guys, making sure they’re in the right place.”

Lowry was terribly rusty after missing six games with an ankle injury earlier this season; it’s unlikely he’ll be in tip-top shape after this absence.

“Conditioning is always an issue when you miss that kind of time and rust and rhythm and everything else,” said Casey. “He was a little rusty (at a Dec. 25 practice), a little out of rhythm so it’s going to take him a little time to get his conditioning back.
    http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_121224.html

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...-jose-calderon
    Last edited by spreadeagle; 12-27-2012 at 11:21 PM.

vCash
    What is anyone gonna trade to us for Lowry? We likely gave up a top 7 pick in the draft. No one's gonna give us equivalent value for a player who's missed significant time this year.

That's only if we want to trade him and seriously I can't buy it for a second. Jose has proven that we can't be a winner with him. We need to change the composition of this roster and that starts with the core of Andrea and Jose. We need some veteran presence. NYK has effectively sheltered Melo's defense this year by surrounding him with superior defenders and solid veteran presence. Raps need to do that and the best player on our team is lowry who would excel greatly with a defensive oriented environment and our young core needs veterans to advise them and get their backs. This team has no veteran presence this year. In past years, we've had reggie and Jamaal who've mentored young players but that's probably missed greatly on our roster too. I think that Jose is the oldest guy? Prob want someone who's won a playoff series on our roster to be the veteran presence.

Asking Lowry to succeed with this roster composition was always gonna be a stretch. This roster complements Jose much better than Lowry. So, if we're keeping BC for another 5 years and he's not gonna trade Andrea away then yeah i guess you gotta trade Lowry cause Jose's the better fit. But if we want t win over that same stretch then we may have to move with with Andrea/Calderon.
    Last edited by CB29; 12-27-2012 at 11:24 PM.

vCash
    I heard Casey say that he thinks Jose has done a much better job with getting Ross involved and playing good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spreadeagle View Post
    I heard Casey say that he thinks Jose has done a much better job with getting Ross involved and playing good.
    thats b/c when Lowry went down, Ross started getting minutes. and Casey not playing the two PG system. and Bargnani not getting the ball 90% of the time. All of Casey's offensive schemes are lame - save for calderon's knack of passing the ball. Ross just stands in the corner most of the time for most of the game.

vCash
    If Lowry is traded, who is our PG next season? Lucas?

But seriously, Calderon is a FA at the end of the season, and will likely/hopefully go to a contender.

We took a risk to get Lowry, and I don't think BC should cower away and trade him when his value is down.

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CB29 View Post
    What is anyone gonna trade to us for Lowry? We likely gave up a top 7 pick in the draft. No one's gonna give us equivalent value for a player who's missed significant time this year.

That's only if we want to trade him and seriously I can't buy it for a second. Jose has proven that we can't be a winner with him. We need to change the composition of this roster and that starts with the core of Andrea and Jose. We need some veteran presence. NYK has effectively sheltered Melo's defense this year by surrounding him with superior defenders and solid veteran presence. Raps need to do that and the best player on our team is lowry who would excel greatly with a defensive oriented environment and our young core needs veterans to advise them and get their backs. This team has no veteran presence this year. In past years, we've had reggie and Jamaal who've mentored young players but that's probably missed greatly on our roster too. I think that Jose is the oldest guy? Prob want someone who's won a playoff series on our roster to be the veteran presence.

Asking Lowry to succeed with this roster composition was always gonna be a stretch. This roster complements Jose much better than Lowry. So, if we're keeping BC for another 5 years and he's not gonna trade Andrea away then yeah i guess you gotta trade Lowry cause Jose's the better fit. But if we want t win over that same stretch then we may have to move with with Andrea/Calderon.
    The roster isn't made up of just Bargs and Jose. If the Roster doesn't fit lowry we would have to trade everyone. Easier solution is get Lowry to play team ball if he doesn't then I'd look to trade him. Let's just see how he deals with coming off the bench first.

vCash
    Selling low at least build his value back up before trading him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post

But seriously, Calderon is a FA at the end of the season, and will likely/hopefully go to a contender.

We took a risk to get Lowry, and I don't think BC should cower away and trade him when his value is down.
    He def will will consider his options ..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post

I dont know why everyone just assumes he'll be back

vCash
    It should be interesting to see what Lowry can do without Barfnani taking half of his passes lol.

If start to win games again, Colangelo better ship Barfnani the **** out. Cause, what else would he need to see to know who's holding us back lol

On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

vCash
    You already know what Jose brings. Its not enough. You gave up a huge pick and there going to put him on the bench so we can claw our way into 8th? I dont get it and I dont believe that Jose will start long term once Lowry is back. I mean they were looking to get rid of him and now after a handful of games they want him long term? Its how he got his ridiculous contract so I guess it shouldnt be that surprising.

vCash
    It all depends on which direction we are going ? Either we are all in for the playoffs or we are all in for tanking and continue the rebuild for Wiggins . Bargs needs to go so I guess we will know which direction we are going by what comes back . If we are tanking for Wiggins we need to trade all our good players for picks , Bargs , Lowry , DD , Calderon , Kieiza . If we are all in for the playoffs we have to pick a point guard to keep trade Bargs and the other point guard for the best player we can get to keep winning .

vCash
    I'm fairly certain that if the coaching staff and management is pushing to trade Lowry, then there is something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. Maybe Lowry hates it here, maybe he's having well-hidden issues with the coaching staff. This is like James Johnson all over again, except with a much better player lol.

Let's just hope that this is just another fake rumour.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by koreancabbage View Post
    thats b/c when Lowry went down, Ross started getting minutes. and Casey not playing the two PG system. and Bargnani not getting the ball 90% of the time. All of Casey's offensive schemes are lame - save for calderon's knack of passing the ball. Ross just stands in the corner most of the time for most of the game.
    You're aware Casey built the offense around the PG's ability to make on court decisions, specifically put in place for the acquisition of Lowry. He had free reign of the offence. If Bargnani was shooting 90% of the shots it's not because he was being force fed the ball early in the shot clock, like last season. I would bet a good portion of his shot this season were late clock & bailout shots off broken plays.

Having said that & considering the team traded a pick for Lowry, to move him they need to land a significant upgrade to justify the move. Either that or they give him more time to prove himself. Unfortunate there's only 2 years of control before he either walks or is given a massive contract.

You sure Ross didn't start getting added minutes because he was playing better?.

vCash
    Agree Calderon is not the long term solution, question is, is Lowry?.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast