Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: what do do with corbin?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • keep corbin through the season and re-evaluate in the off-season

17 89.47%
  • let corbin coach out the season and fire him in the off-season

0 0%
  • fire corbin mid-season

2 10.53%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fire corbin?

vCash
    I think Corbin is doing a fantastic job with rotations. Anyone can play monday morning coach and nitpick why Corbin didn't pull Earl in the closing minutes last night. Anyone can overlook the huge flaws in the games of Enes and Burks and demand they get more minutes than Foye and Al. That's easy.

First, if you want to fire Corbin you have to make a valid case. On paper would any rational person expect a coach to secure a playoff position with this team in the stacked West? Well, he did last year. Now if he had a loaded team and failed to do so there would be calls for his head, but the general consensus is that he is over achieving with this roster.

At least, that's the consensus amongst all the voices in my head....

During a game in 1982, Frank Layden, then head coach of the Utah Jazz, had seen enough of his team's poor performance and wanted an early exit. Layden verbally abused Strom so he could get ejected from the game. Strom knew what he was trying to do, and when Layden asked why he didn't eject him, Strom replied, "I know what you're trying to do, Frank, but if I've got to stay out here and watch this $#!^, so do you".

vCash
    This roster is leagues more talented than the roster last year and we're beginning to underachieve. And his rotations lost us our 19 point lead against the Clippers three nights ago. If he wasnt so strict on who plays with who, and actually coaches a team (i.e. having Carroll and Hayward splitting time defending CP3) we could have easily won this game.

It's not like I'm expecting the moon and the stars from this guy, but a simple rotation adjustment, and we could be killing.
    FWITHMEYOUKNOWIGOTIT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumba View Post
    I never thought I would see a Jazz team lose, not because of a lack of talent, but because of a lack of coaching.
    I think it might be more than this, but I do think coaching is a cause. Its like us fans have seen greatness for so many years, so we know what greatness is when we see it.

As this season unfolds, each of us and the league sees so much greatness when the pieces are mixed just right. The second that perfect mix is shifted they are no longer that perfect mix. The problem is, Jazz can't win unless this entire mix works together.
    LAC has guys holding the blocks together(CP3 mainly, MVP canidate talks already), and everyone is contributing when they need it. Butler brings in those 3's, Crawford scoring, Barnes defense(even though i hate him(way before the other night), but the bottom line is, their core keeps this team going.

Our core is our bench, LAC's core is their starters(like most teams). Until our starters can play like LAC's bench, were not gonna win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumba View Post
    Corbin has an ego like all of us, and couldnt go back to being on staff. I dont think any of us could do that. Getting demoted and having a staffer below you take over your job while you help...

If I had to choose a interim coach, it would by Sydney Lowe. The guy looks like he has a identity that he wants to create. Got fire too.

And as for JVG, Cheeks and McMillan; Who wouldn't want to coach this young crop of guys in Utah. It's not like they're taking a wizards job or something.
    Sydney Lowe is terrible. And nobody is going to want to come here and coach if there are other jobs available. I'm sure there might be a few assistants or something that would be interested but a big name guy isn't going to want to come here.

Rippin' lips son!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HotRodsHair View Post
    I think Corbin is doing a fantastic job with rotations. Anyone can play monday morning coach and nitpick why Corbin didn't pull Earl in the closing minutes last night. Anyone can overlook the huge flaws in the games of Enes and Burks and demand they get more minutes than Foye and Al. That's easy.

First, if you want to fire Corbin you have to make a valid case. On paper would any rational person expect a coach to secure a playoff position with this team in the stacked West? Well, he did last year. Now if he had a loaded team and failed to do so there would be calls for his head, but the general consensus is that he is over achieving with this roster.

And HotRod with a rational response to us being a .500 team Figured you might be the only one to do so!! Corbin isn't terrible, he just doesn't have a very talented team to work with.

Rippin' lips son!!

vCash
    This team is more talented than last years team! Maybe even more talented then the team Corbin took over when he first started! we can't make excuses anymore for this guy.

And your saying if you were JVG, that if you got offered a job from the Jazz, or the pistons, or the wizards, he would go anywhere but Utah? haha
    FWITHMEYOUKNOWIGOTIT

vCash
    this roster has more talent, but we were very fortunate with injuries last year and haven't been half that lucky this year

vCash
    were better off getting draft picks than trying to find a hidden all star through trading.
    All great things come to an end...even in basketball -Me

vCash
    Corbin is not as bad as some are saying. We can't expect better than a .500 record with Mo injured. However, I don't agree with his rotations or anyone that defends them. He has so much depth he has no idea who to play at times. He continues to stick with a starting 5 that doesn't work. He is afraid to take a chance on youth that at times is clearly outplaying the starters, yet he will bench them even if they are the hot hand. He is not giving younger players enough minutes. He has abandoned Foye as the back up PG or Millsap at SF too quickly. He fails to make important offense/deffense substitutions at the end of a game or half. He doesn't pull a player from the game when they are having an off night, or when they are not hustling. I think we should keep him until the end of the season. But saying Corbin is doing a good job with his rotations is laughable.

vCash
    Our bench was playing better against the clippers than our starters were. I still have faith in corbin but I want them to get rid of Millsap and Jefferson.

Warriors come out and Ta-ank.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by futureman View Post
    Our bench was playing better against the clippers than our starters were. I still have faith in corbin but I want them to get rid of Millsap and Jefferson.
    The fact is, Paul and Al are our "Biggest Stars", yet they can't produce. Foye and Marvin are sufficent for what they do best, but if we keep them, I want them to develop a better overall game.

Al and Paul aren't going to get us a Western Conference Title, let alone a Division Title. I think are best bet is to get the best defensive guys we can get. Defense brings better offense, so whats the point in having someone like Foye who is primarily offensive.

Either way, we need better talent than what we got. I am sufficently happy with Mo and Tinsley, but wouldn't mind getting me an Andre Miller type on our bench. I rather have Jazz fix our starters, by keeping Marvin, and trading Paul and Al, to get versatile PF/C's, who can function together(like DeAndre and Griffen)!
    Imagine a DeAndre/Griffen duo, with Mo, Marv and Foye. That sounds better, but I like guys like Hayward and Favors who can play more than one position on both sides.

vCash
    What I would like, is a new PF, who Tinsley and Mo can feed the ball. Favors is developing that type of game, but for now I would like a new (karl malone) to replace Paul, the one who never grew.

Al is ok, I like his scoring and rebounding ability, but I am not fully convinced that it helps this team. If he could push the ball back to Marv or in the paint pass to Millsap for easier shots, I would like that more, than his "crazy" shots on double teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by futureman View Post

Wow.

I honestly don't know what to say. I wish I did.

Wait, I got something. If this team had no Al and no Milly at the start of this season we would be at least ten games under .500, would be about 30th in the league in points in the paint, would get annihilated by teams with strong guard rotations, and would be a lock for the lottery.

During a game in 1982, Frank Layden, then head coach of the Utah Jazz, had seen enough of his team's poor performance and wanted an early exit. Layden verbally abused Strom so he could get ejected from the game. Strom knew what he was trying to do, and when Layden asked why he didn't eject him, Strom replied, "I know what you're trying to do, Frank, but if I've got to stay out here and watch this $#!^, so do you".

vCash
    in essence, we'd be the 'cats of the west... NO THANK YOU, lol!
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HotRodsHair View Post

HotRod,

How can you say that Corbin is doing a fantastic job? I would really like to see some of your points that says he is a good coach? Coaches get to much credit for when teams are playing well and get to much criticism when they are playing poorly. Its all the players.

What a coach can do is control the momentum of the game. His substitutions and time outs are completely non existent. Watch last years play offs against the spurs and keep track of how many times Pop called a time out after the jazz went on a 2-0 or 4-0 run to stop any momentum. The second he felt the crowd getting into the game it was a time out. Once your done with that total, notice how long it takes Corbin to use his time out. The damage has already been done before he does anything.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast