Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: what do do with corbin?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • keep corbin through the season and re-evaluate in the off-season

17 89.47%
  • let corbin coach out the season and fire him in the off-season

0 0%
  • fire corbin mid-season

2 10.53%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: fire corbin?

vCash
    Shimoney, this is a player's league. There is a nice write up in the SL Trib talking about the success or failure of teams with or without all-stars. I would ask anyone to name one all-star on this team. Heck, if Deron had trouble making All-Star teams I don't see how you can make the argument that we have a single guy who honestly is an All-Star this year. In fact, one of our guys would have to explode in skill and sustain it to become an All-Star next year.

Now think about this; the Jazz have played 26 of their first 41 games on the road. Last year Corbin took a team to the playoffs that essentially no one in the press believed had a chance because they had no All-Stars and there had been a great amount of turmoil the season before. This year the Jazz have had to incorporate nearly one third of the team as new players. Despite all this the Jazz are still somehow over .500.

Look at the top 10-15 teams in the West and name one team without a player named to an All-Star team in the last two years. If you find a team that doesn't have at least one, chances are their coach doesn't have them over .500.

There are many player rankings on the web and the easiest one to search quickly was the CBS rankings. They have Big Al listed as the 18th best player in the NBA, and the Jazz's second best player Milly at 47. This is not a team full of top line talent.

The Jazz offensively are weak in terms of star talent. We don't have a guy that is a true go-to-guy down the stretch play after play in the tight playoff game who can be counted on to take over a game. Yet this collection of role players and toddlers is ranked 10th in assists, 11th in points and 14th in rebounding meaning they play a system. There are quite a few teams out there that flail because they play street ball. This team plays an actual structured system.

Sure this team has weaknesses. Sure Corbin has flaws. But take a look around the NBA at the dozen or so franchises that have incredibly talented budding stars but can't get their crap together. Corbin has less to work with than those coaches and is playing .500 ball.

During a game in 1982, Frank Layden, then head coach of the Utah Jazz, had seen enough of his team's poor performance and wanted an early exit. Layden verbally abused Strom so he could get ejected from the game. Strom knew what he was trying to do, and when Layden asked why he didn't eject him, Strom replied, "I know what you're trying to do, Frank, but if I've got to stay out here and watch this $#!^, so do you".

vCash
    excellent, excellent post, hotrod. i knew there was a reason we keep you around!!! lol, jk. corbin's doing well. i think we want to return to the glory days of wc championships and want to skip the growing process. i think we have enough to be excited about to keep watching. i don't think we've seen the best of this group yet.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HotRodsHair View Post
    Shimoney, this is a player's league. There is a nice write up in the SL Trib talking about the success or failure of teams with or without all-stars. I would ask anyone to name one all-star on this team. Heck, if Deron had trouble making All-Star teams I don't see how you can make the argument that we have a single guy who honestly is an All-Star this year. In fact, one of our guys would have to explode in skill and sustain it to become an All-Star next year.

Now think about this; the Jazz have played 26 of their first 41 games on the road. Last year Corbin took a team to the playoffs that essentially no one in the press believed had a chance because they had no All-Stars and there had been a great amount of turmoil the season before. This year the Jazz have had to incorporate nearly one third of the team as new players. Despite all this the Jazz are still somehow over .500.

Look at the top 10-15 teams in the West and name one team without a player named to an All-Star team in the last two years. If you find a team that doesn't have at least one, chances are their coach doesn't have them over .500.

There are many player rankings on the web and the easiest one to search quickly was the CBS rankings. They have Big Al listed as the 18th best player in the NBA, and the Jazz's second best player Milly at 47. This is not a team full of top line talent.

The Jazz offensively are weak in terms of star talent. We don't have a guy that is a true go-to-guy down the stretch play after play in the tight playoff game who can be counted on to take over a game. Yet this collection of role players and toddlers is ranked 10th in assists, 11th in points and 14th in rebounding meaning they play a system. There are quite a few teams out there that flail because they play street ball. This team plays an actual structured system.

Sure this team has weaknesses. Sure Corbin has flaws. But take a look around the NBA at the dozen or so franchises that have incredibly talented budding stars but can't get their crap together. Corbin has less to work with than those coaches and is playing .500 ball.
    Well said We just don't have the talent to be a lot better than what we are.

Rippin' lips son!!

vCash
    ^^^this.

vCash
    ^x2
    Hi There

JAZZ / UTES / LIONS / REDWINGS / TIGERS / ALL-BLACKS

vCash
    It's time for Earl to stay on the bench. He is struggling and doesn't deserve minutes anymore. I strongly prefer the Burks, Hayward, and Carol second unit. It's time for coach to set aside his love of a veteran and let Earl ride the pine.

vCash
    You really think Coach has a bias toward veterans? I know that was the case with Sloan because he admitted as much, but I just don't see it with Corbin. I think Corbin plays guys who aren't a matchup liability, and let's face it, Burks hasn't been solid in all phases of the game yet. It takes more than some sweet moves that put pressure on the front of the rim to play; you have to be sound in team D, take care of the ball, get others involved on Offense, etc..

Last night I thought he stayed with Burks too long during the run, but I'm slowly being won over by number 10. He's going to be good someday.

On a side note, did anyone notice Phil Johnson's post game comments about the future of this team? He said something to the effect of, "There are not super stars on this team and there is no one on the team that will become one, but they have a nice collection of good players who need to develop as a team in order for the Jazz to get better." Paraphrasing.

During a game in 1982, Frank Layden, then head coach of the Utah Jazz, had seen enough of his team's poor performance and wanted an early exit. Layden verbally abused Strom so he could get ejected from the game. Strom knew what he was trying to do, and when Layden asked why he didn't eject him, Strom replied, "I know what you're trying to do, Frank, but if I've got to stay out here and watch this $#!^, so do you".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HotRodsHair View Post
    You really think Coach has a bias toward veterans? I know that was the case with Sloan because he admitted as much, but I just don't see it with Corbin. I think Corbin plays guys who aren't a matchup liability, and let's face it, Burks hasn't been solid in all phases of the game yet. It takes more than some sweet moves that put pressure on the front of the rim to play; you have to be sound in team D, take care of the ball, get others involved on Offense, etc..

Last night I thought he stayed with Burks too long during the run, but I'm slowly being won over by number 10. He's going to be good someday.

On a side note, did anyone notice Phil Johnson's post game comments about the future of this team? He said something to the effect of, "There are not super stars on this team and there is no one on the team that will become one, but they have a nice collection of good players who need to develop as a team in order for the Jazz to get better." Paraphrasing.
    good post, Ty isn't nearly as bad as my worrisome brain led me to believe in the beginning of the season. And Kevin O'Connor is still behind it all anyway, he won't let Ty or Dennis wander too far.

It's impossible to say if we have an all-star or not. It will be years until we know for sure. What if , worst case scenario, Al and paul just leave and we have a bigs rotation of favors, kanter, and evans. All of a sudden Hayward is the unchallenged go-to-guy. Who knows what he could do with that opportunity?

vCash
    I really think we are in deep trouble if both Al and Milly are gone next year. I'm basing that on two opinions I have.
    1. Neither Favors nor Kanter are go-to post players who can be counted on to score with regularity when the ball is sent into the post possession after possesion, 2. both guys have a tendency to foul quickly and it is not silly to think that teams would work hard to get one or both in quick foul trouble to face (gasp) the awesomeness that is the defensive immovable object (heave sarcasm alert) Evans.

I also think that Hayward benefits greatly from the defensive attention demanded by Al.

vCash
    if you have watched our previous games, yeah we need al and millsap to score the ball.

vCash
    I hope it doesn't happen but there's that chance that neither of them come back to play for the jazz next year. Then what happens?

vCash
    We throw a whole lot of money at Chris Paul and hope that for some reason he's fostered a desperate and hitherto secret desire to live in Salt Lake City. (A guy can dream, right?)
    In all seriousness, though, that with how much money we'll have, we'll almost certainly keep one of them, unless they both want contracts that far exceed their production. I mean, the only guys clearly better than them who are unrestricted are CP3 and Dwight, and neither of them is coming to Utah. Even though it's doubtful that we keep both, we'll have enough money to make sure that one of them stays, probably whoever's contract is more reasonable.

vCash
    what is insteresting/sucks is that we will have a ton of capspace, but really we won't sign anyone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    what is insteresting/sucks is that we will have a ton of capspace, but really we won't sign anyone
    That's why I think we'd be better suited making some trades at the deadline.

vCash
    agreed
    FWITHMEYOUKNOWIGOTIT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123