Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    So we'll be contending for the post-season in 2014 then?
    The chances are better, and the chances should improve each season afterwards.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Losing is ok, because we will definitely win in 2014, or so I'm told.
    If the price for building a consistent and competitive winner for a decade-plus is to sacrifice wins in the 2013 season, then it is acceptable to me.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    The chances are better, and the chances should improve each season afterwards.
    1. How could the chances be any worse than they are now?

2. And that's a massive assumption.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    If the price for building a consistent and competitive winner for a decade-plus is to sacrifice wins in the 2013 season, then it is acceptable to me.

Sacrificing another season won't get us any closer to a consistent and competitive winner.

All it ensures is another wasted season, especially for a guy we just gave $130M to.

vCash
    I'm not sure about not punting, the Mets are counting on a hell of a lot, and they have shown they don't want to spend and have loaded payroll on to next year already. If you're clearing the decks for a spend in 2014, why not pay off the credit card now?

Makes no sense.

The Mets have some nice prospects, no-one would disagree with that. They also have no OF, and no BP. Right now they have one PROVEN above average offensive player. Ike isn't proven. We just lost a CY winner, too. They won 74 games last year and were lucky to do so. Right now the team is worse than it was last year.

Has a healthy future? they've got a low payroll that's for sure.
    I guess you don't think Wheeler, d'Arnaud, and Harvey as part of the future.

But as I have stated time and time again, the Mets are rebuilding. They traded assets for top prospects. 2 potential TORP and the best catching prospect.

And yes, they are worse then they were a year ago. However, the farm system is better. Considerably. Their rotation of Niese, Wheeler and Harvey will be a young and exciting. Then you have Syndergaard who will probably be brought up late in 2014. Plus with the wealth of talented pitching prospects their farm closely resembles that of the Rays.

One of their problems is that positional prospects are 3-4 years away.

This FO doesn't want to relinquish a top draft pick for an aging veteran. Which kind of goes against everything you believe in.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I guess you don't think Wheeler, d'Arnaud, and Harvey as part of the future.

But as I have stated time and time again, the Mets are rebuilding. They traded assets for top prospects. 2 potential TORP and the best catching prospect.

And yes, they are worse then they were a year ago. However, the farm system is better. Considerably. Their rotation of Niese, Wheeler and Harvey will be a young and exciting. Then you have Syndergaard who will probably be brought up late in 2014. Plus with the wealth of talented pitching prospects their farm closely resembles that of the Rays.

One of their problems is that positional prospects are 3-4 years away.

This FO doesn't want to relinquish a top draft pick for an aging veteran. Which kind of goes against everything you believe in.

Where did I say that?

You say rebuilding, I say downsizing.

Exactly, the Mets are always going to be short of too many pieces, they may have nice rotation, but there's nothing on offense. By the time this team is ready at the current rate DW will be 34-35.

The FO will say anything to cover up not spending, why have they shifted payroll onto next year?

Where are the pieces going to come from without FA?

You don't know what I believe in by the way, and as for draft picks, the Mets refuse to sign 2nd rounders when they have those picks...

vCash
    I say fine so long as we lock up the guns, machetes, and gasoline in the clubhouse... Happy New Years.

vCash
    Where did I say that?
    Then what is your opinion of the prospects from the Dickey trade?

You say rebuilding, I say downsizing.
    How is the Dickey trade downsizing when they took on a player (Buck) that makes the same money than Dickey and Thole would have made combined.
    Exactly, the Mets are always going to be short of too many pieces, they may have nice rotation, but there's nothing on offense. By the time this team is ready at the current rate DW will be 34-35.
    The Mets will have an offense with Wright, Davis and d'Arnaud. Now Ike and TDA aren't the same type of player that Wright is, but they should be 2-3 WAR type of players.

The FO will say anything to cover up not spending, why have they shifted payroll onto next year?
    The FO told everyone just prior to the Dickey trade that they would have the same exact team, with little turn over. The Mets will have roughly 33% new players on their roster.

Where are the pieces going to come from without FA?
    They could or they could come from trades.
    You don't know what I believe in by the way, and as for draft picks, the Mets refuse to sign 2nd rounders when they have those picks...
    Please tell us what you believe in. Tell everyone how you would revamp this roster.

And for the record they didn't sign one 2nd rounder this past draft, so its not plural.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash
    [/B]

Where did I say that?
    Yes, but little else but prospects, and that's all they are, every single one of them.

We've still got Meija, but he's disappointed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Then what is your opinion of the prospects from the Dickey trade?

How is the Dickey trade downsizing when they took on a player (Buck) that makes the same money than Dickey and Thole would have made combined.

The Mets will have an offense with Wright, Davis and d'Arnaud. Now Ike and TDA aren't the same type of player that Wright is, but they should be 2-3 WAR type of players.

The FO told everyone just prior to the Dickey trade that they would have the same exact team, with little turn over. The Mets will have roughly 33% new players on their roster.

They could or they could come from trades.

Please tell us what you believe in. Tell everyone how you would revamp this roster.

And for the record they didn't sign one 2nd rounder this past draft, so its not plural.

They're good prospects.

How is it downsizing? we were at $140M now we're @ $90M and they can't afford that.

Neither Davis or TDA are proven.

The FO said after the season ended that team would be very different, it is the same team.

Could come from trades? robbing Peter to pay Paul you mean? emptying the farm instead of spending money, that doesn't seem a like a good way to build a consistent winner.

33% new players? how many of these new players are any good?

Now then, why have the moved money over to 2014, leaving us with $33M already spent but with only two players paid for?

vCash
    They're good prospects.

How is it downsizing? we were at $140M now we're @ $90M and they can't afford that.
    Actually we were at $100 million at the end of the season.
    Neither Davis or TDA are proven.
    Davis just hit 32 HRs, and battled a sickness along with coming back from an injury. I hope we have a few more unproven players like him.
    The FO said after the season ended that team would be very different, it is the same team.
    Please elaborate. I said they would have 33% new faces. How is that the same team. Unless you know something I don't.
    Could come from trades? robbing Peter to pay Paul you mean? emptying the farm instead of spending money, that doesn't seem a like a good way to build a consistent winner.
    How would that be emptying the farm system? I'm not following please elaborate.
    33% new players? how many of these new players are any good?
    Well Wheeler is a top 10 prospect and d'Arnaud is a top 15. Cowgill looks pretty good. Then you have Familia and Mejia. Buck isn't that good but he put up better numbers than Thole.
    Now then, why have the moved money over to 2014, leaving us with $33M already spent but with only two players paid for?
    You mentioned this before, I'm sure it makes sense in your head but I have no idea what you are talking about. Once again please elaborate.

vCash
    Davis hit 32 homeruns and had 90 RBI after doing literally nothing the first couple months of the season. I'd say he's proven something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    Davis hit 32 homeruns and had 90 RBI after doing literally nothing the first couple months of the season. I'd say he's proven something.
    Davis has proven he can play. He hasn't proven he can do it over the course of a season.

But i think he can.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    He's proven he can hit homeruns and play good defense.

If he can improve against lefties and not get hurt, I think he could be very good for the Mets in 2013 and beyond.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    He's proven he can hit homeruns and play good defense.

If he can improve against lefties and not get hurt, I think he could be very good for the Mets in 2013 and beyond.
    He's SHOWN he can hit lefties. He hasn't SHOWN he can do it with any consistency.

Personally, I think he's gonna be the goods, the S&%@T.

Then again, I think Josh Edgin is the CoF.

You do the math.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast