Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Loyalty in the MLB

I grew up with guys like Chipper Jones, Craig Biggio, Todd Helton, all sticking with they're teams for the long haul. That's the way it should be in my book.

What is wrong with this generation of players? Are you guys a fan of hopping ships from one rival to another like these guys do today? Guys leaving their teams for more money.

Examples of guys leaving for rivals:

Josh Hamilton to the Angels from the Rangers
    Johnny Damon to the Yankees from the Redsox
    CJ Wilson to the Angels from the Rangers

Example of franchise players leaving for better money:

Albert Pujols to the Angels from the Cardinals

It seems like the guys that we once cheered and loved always take the money over loyalty these days.

Do you guys have a problem with this or is it just me? Nothing's stranger then seeing your franchise guy leave town for more money.

vCash
    It's a business.

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    Lmao

vCash
    Signed,

A bitter Rangers fan

vCash
    There is no better way to explain it than to watch this documentary about businesses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxX-QOV9tI

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    I agree.
    I like seeing players that can play for 1 team their entire career. also throw in guys like Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn.
    it can be hard when you have your favorite player on your favorite team, but then he is either traded or signs elsewhere as a free agent.
    I don't know what could be done to help this though. some type of restricted free agency or franchise tag?
    while it would be nice if players had more loyalty, it does go the other way and teams also have to have loyalty too, meaning not trying to trade player X.

vCash
    if those teams want them, then they can pay for them. Loyalty works both ways too, lets not pretend like teams don't ship players off too
    #Turtlepower

Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_jon View Post
    Signed,

A bitter Rangers fan
    I'm a Rangers fan but my loyalty goes to the Houston Astros. I just have a lot of friends who are Rangers fans and I know how much they loved Ham Bone in Arlington. I've been to that stadium once, Minute Maid Park is my home

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    There is no better way to explain it than to watch this documentary about businesses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxX-QOV9tI
    Lol

vCash

Loyalty in the MLB

It's all about the money. It's grown more and more that way since FA in the 1970s.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    if those teams want them, then they can pay for them. Loyalty works both ways too, lets not pretend like teams don't ship players off too
    At an extent, I'm mainly talking about franchise caliber guys.

I get what your saying though, like the Astros won't sign Berkman back as our DH because they are too ****ing cheap. It's both ways not exactly just the players.

I think the Rangers should have coughed up a little more cash for Hamilton to reward him for bringing the squad to the series 2 years and the playoffs 3 years but it's still disheartening when he goes off and signs with the RIVAL you know?

vCash
    Oh please. Few, if any organizations show any real loyalty to these guys, why the hell should they?

vCash
    this.why should a player have loyalty? the teams dont.they'll ship you off any time they can if its in their best interest.so if a team is going to look out for themselves than why shouldnt players?

this gone on as long as modern free agency has been allowed.your just being abit bitter about what just happened ,didnt see you make a thread about this when it was your team gathering talent from other teams
    Last edited by abe_froman; 12-13-2012 at 04:31 PM.

vCash
    Agreed. Chipper stayed in Atlanta because they showed they always wanted him there. It doesn't have to be all about money, I'm sure the Yankees, Angels, etc. Would have paid more for Chipper but he was in a place that he loved, loved him, and never jerked him around with low contracts and trade rumors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleplay2007 View Post
    I grew up with guys like Chipper Jones, Craig Biggio, Todd Helton, all sticking with they're teams for the long haul. That's the way it should be in my book.

What is wrong with this generation of players? Are you guys a fan of hopping ships from one rival to another like these guys do today? Guys leaving their teams for more money.

Examples of guys leaving for rivals:

Josh Hamilton to the Angels from the Rangers
    Johnny Damon to the Yankees from the Redsox
    CJ Wilson to the Angels from the Rangers

Example of franchise players leaving for better money:

Albert Pujols to the Angels from the Cardinals

It seems like the guys that we once cheered and loved always take the money over loyalty these days.

Do you guys have a problem with this or is it just me? Nothing's stranger then seeing your franchise guy leave town for more money.
    So players have to have loyalty but the teams don't? if a team cuts a long loved franchise player they are just doing what's in their best interest.

When a player does what's in his best interest he isn't loyal?

and i have always felt the career player thing is totally overrated.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast