Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Most likley 2nd place in Northwest Division??

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Denver

2 40.00%
  • Portland

0 0%
  • Minnesota

1 20.00%
  • Utah

2 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    vCash

Jazz Playoff Probabilities?

I am just plain out scared. Things looked bright with LAL and DAL looking like they were done for the season. Utah's home streak was amazing, even though are roads lacked, we were under OKC for awhile, now were a LOSING team, almost as low as DAL!

I count 8 teams, for the bottom 4 spots. 6 are .500, and 2 aren't(UTA and DAL). Current top four are definite playoff teams(Although I am gonna automatically give GS the 5th spot).

I deduce that Utah is pretty much going to need to battle for 2nd spot in Northwest if they want to get 8th place. Were talking maybe a 2-4 way tie. Or you can see it as, LAL, HOU, DAL, GS, DEN, POR, MIN, and UTA as the combatants for the bottom 4. With GS, LAL, and HOU as likely picks for 3/4 spots.

PAC = LAC and GS. LAL as a comeback team

SW = SAS and MEM. HOU as a great chance team. DAL as a potential comeback team(making 1 NW team).

NW = OKC. UTA and MIN were great chance teams, but...

That, leaves one spot between POR, DEN, MIN and UTA, assuming Dallas continues to lose(same with PHO, NO, and SAC). However, we might get 3 from Northwest, if HOU or LAL don't do as good as I think they will!

Does this sound about right?
    Last edited by RyanStorm; 12-29-2012 at 04:42 PM.

vCash
    As far as right now, we need to focus on out performing our Division and other bottom 4'ers. This includes getting as many division wins and conference wins, because it would be shocking to lose because of a tie breaker. Every game counts, we don't want a .500 and not get in.

I also wanted to ask a side question to the poll question. Whether you pick Utah, or anyone else, what is the most important thing we need to do now to get in 2nd place in the NW?

vCash
    My Detailed Player Analysis:

1-Paul should be amazing and tough like he has been in the past, playing tough and drawing fouls with big stops on defense by roughing them up(he is not the same player and isn't growing)! Favors will out grow him by the time he gets to his years in experience, hes more than half way there. I don't think Paul has much more of a roof in Utah, or no place!

2-Marvin is slightly down in stats than last year with Hawks, but he is the least productive starter and lowest scorer. He is a good 3pt maker, but doesn't shoot enough!! When he actually puts up more shots he can hit big numbers. Which is how he has had those amazing nights/quarters, but also have cold nights.

3-Foye should be shooting 3-4 out of 10 a night from the 3pt minimum(plus whatever on the inside). Keep shooting even if you miss 2-3 in a row, they hit the panic button way to easy(its hit almost every time we are behind)! If your a .400ish at 3pt, you need to shoot over 10 shots every night!

4-Tinsley is no Mo, but is uniquely good enough for Jazz ball with his court vision and pass first approach! He needs to do what he does best, but also be the leader and continue to assist the other guys so they can be better(like what he does on the bench). He should be more versatile at making plays and running the court(don't rely on anyone else to be leader(including Corbin!!).

5-Al is always in 1-on-1 situations, and goes for tough shots that he works on by himself. He shoots to much, which is what the shooters should be doing! With Jazz basketball the Center shouldn't be the high scorer. He is a good go-to man in the paint, but he relies on himself too much and instead of learning to play with Paul and Marv, he shuts them off his radar and tries to be the one man show(which might be Utah's problem).

Possible Source of Starter Problems:
    Paul and Marvin might be alienated by Al, because they have no identity! Al is doing what the PF and SF should be doing, instead of being a Center all the time. Leaving Marvin less shots(and can't get in his groove), and Millsap switching on and off between rebounding at C for Al and Millsap trying to be the PF(which is hard to do without enough assists for paint points(especially with Al in the way, who rather get the ball from Paul, then prep for his rebound)). This has problems on both sides, which is probably why we are in the bottom of the NBA in defensive rebounds!

Paul and Marvin/Foye(at their positions) should be making the majority of the points(which is how the bench dominates: Hayward and Favors(Not Kanter making his own jump shots in 1-on-1 situations).

vCash
    considering denvers record after what was a brutal schedule I would give them the inside track for the second seed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    considering denvers record after what was a brutal schedule I would give them the inside track for the second seed
    I didn't want to say it, but after looking at each NW as a whole this season..Denver is looking solid(although I originally gave Minn the favorite for the amount of talent they have).

Road games will be the death of us. I wish Corbin would coach these guys into the playoffs. I mean he did it last year(short season), even still I want to give him the benefit of the doubt(even though we were swooped 0-4)
    If every team fired their coach because of a slump, then every team would have new coaches every other month, and would become blunt end of jokes around the league(aka Nets).

Either way, Corbin does need to steer this team, whether our players are doing hot or not. Players do what they can, and do what the coach says. If the coach can't see that different guys are needed in different areas to WIN, then I will formerly submit my vote to disband corbin, or at least put him back into the assistant chair, and maybe make Hornacek the new coach or something..maybe Sidney Lowe or Mike Sanders??
    Last edited by RyanStorm; 12-29-2012 at 11:43 PM.

vCash
    Statistically speaking, not very good. But you never know, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Monta is beast View Post
    If Currys defense is so bad, why do the warriors have the third best defensive team in the league? Why do opposing point guards have a less than average per of 14.9 when Curry is in the game? Why does curry LEAD the nba with a plus minus of +416.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander_37 View Post
    You can rattle off all of the stats you want with no context whatsoever. You still said Curry is the 4th best player in the league.
    I guess stats aren't factual when rattled off?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Monta is beast View Post
    Statistically speaking, not very good. But you never know, right?
    Oh, I know. Surprises this season: GS, MEM, and HOU. The three teams you wouldn't necessarily say definite playoff team over the years, MEM could be debated though.

Surprises that I wish would have stayed that way: Losing LAL, DAL, and PHO. These three teams at one point were the dominate force in the west, but were looking to be non-contenders! Since the past, it switched over to LAC, OKC and the continued power of SAS who seem to be good enough to beat Utah every time, but not good enough to beat these other teams in the playoffs.

With OKC, Utah will have hard times getting division title. With DEN, MIN, and POR being great teams, especially DEN(like always, good organization), we are gonna have a hard time being the best after OKC! That 2nd place spot is so important, because generally 2 teams in each division make it, and sometimes only 1 does. So if you not in that 1 or 2 spot, you might want to rethink your game!

Utah is not completely worthless. Were only 1 1/2 games behind DEN who is at NW #1(OKC doesn't count anymore). Its too early to pull out the pitchforks and torches.
    Last edited by RyanStorm; 12-30-2012 at 01:28 PM.

vCash
    I think the top 5 are probably locks but after that anyone can make it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dhopisthename View Post
    I think the top 5 are probably locks but after that anyone can make it
    That is pretty much it. Besides for OKC, the NW is not as set in stone as the other divisions.

Pretty much it is gonna depend on what LAL, DAL and HOU do. Because they are the 3rd team's in those division.

So Jazz pretty much need to out beat LAL, DAL and HOU, along with the NW. I am gonna make a mid season prediction that the next couple of teams to hit 20 wins, will most likely take the "3 spots" for the 8 teams who want in(including PHO).

If the Jazz turn around, I can see them out beating both DAL and LAL if we play tough. Then we need to win all our Division games, especially agaisnt DEN and MIN! We can beat HOU, but that isn't what is important. I see them as being our biggest threat.

In that case its HOU and UTA taking two of the spots. Leaving one spot for DEN, MIN, POR, DAL, LAL, and PHO. I just hope these teams flop over, especailly LAL, DAL and MIN. I can live with HOU, UTA and DEN making it in those last spots!

At this point, it looks like(and will most likely be): DEN, HOU, and a fight between UTA/LAL/MIN(with big time ties)
    Last edited by RyanStorm; 12-30-2012 at 02:01 PM.

vCash
    I actually want to call out repeat season right now for 6/8 teams.

Replace DAL with HOU, then LAL with GS and keep everyone else:

1-SAS 8-UTA
    2-OKC 7-HOU
    3-GS 6-DEN
    4-LAC 5-MEM

I am actually hoping to see a repeat of 2010, but its changed so much. POR, DAL, and PHO making it sounds odd at this point, but so does DEN and UTA being against each other on 4/5, and LAL and OKC at the 1/8 spot(OKC being the 8th).

Pretty much its up to Utah to retain its 8th spot(hopefully we can secure it quicker than last week of regular season. I still see a big tie versus our division(2nd and 3rd will most likely take 6th through 8th)(DEN and UTA).

The only problem with this is, GS taking LAL's spot. Which will most likely remove a 3rd team from Northwest. Which means if DEN and UTA don't out beast LAL, one of us will be removed from the bracket this year.
    Last edited by RyanStorm; 12-30-2012 at 02:17 PM.

vCash
    I think the Jazz have the depth and organized structure to make the playoffs. There are a number of teams that rely heavily on a talented but thin group and those teams are one injury from falling pretty quickly. There are other teams that are talented by play a disorganized pick up game style and those teams usually fade fast when the games become more tightly contested down the stretch.

Please don't forget that this team had some serious player turnover that they had to acclimate early in the season, particularly on the road. I don't know if others can see it but I have seen improvement from day 1 to now. I think this team will finish as a low seed in the playoffs.

During a game in 1982, Frank Layden, then head coach of the Utah Jazz, had seen enough of his team's poor performance and wanted an early exit. Layden verbally abused Strom so he could get ejected from the game. Strom knew what he was trying to do, and when Layden asked why he didn't eject him, Strom replied, "I know what you're trying to do, Frank, but if I've got to stay out here and watch this $#!^, so do you".

vCash
    I thought the Jazz learned a lot. I think we needed these loses to show them who and what they are. I think it really brought them together as a team.

I am guessing they are gonna become great over January. I mean December was just tough, I was just hoping we could have stayed over .500 over the tough times.

vCash
    I think these close games are building character. Keep in mind that we are coming up on the half way pole and have played 6 more road games than home games. In contrast the Clips have played five fewer road games than home games.

During a game in 1982, Frank Layden, then head coach of the Utah Jazz, had seen enough of his team's poor performance and wanted an early exit. Layden verbally abused Strom so he could get ejected from the game. Strom knew what he was trying to do, and when Layden asked why he didn't eject him, Strom replied, "I know what you're trying to do, Frank, but if I've got to stay out here and watch this $#!^, so do you".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HotRodsHair View Post
    I think these close games are building character. Keep in mind that we are coming up on the half way pole and have played 6 more road games than home games. In contrast the Clips have played five fewer road games than home games.
    I was preaching this to LAC fans and they called him a *** idiot or something, becuase I told them their upcoming schedule is ten times harder than what they have done in Dec. Were talking 4 home games in 30 days.

Jazz have only had twice where we had more than 1 game in a row at home. Clippers have done almost all their home games in stints of 2 and 3.

Jazz have a way better season ahead of them. I just know that this rate is not good, especially when LAL, DAL, SAC, and PHO are still looking just as good in the win coloumn.
    Last edited by RyanStorm; 12-31-2012 at 03:06 PM.

vCash
    The reason I gave Denver the heads up on 2nd, was they are the only one in the west in the playoff race who have as many road games. Proving they can win on the road, and making them a threat! Well among other things, they are most likely going to be the hardest, but that doesn't mean Min and Por won't be as bad. I just wish DAL and LAL would just screw up, right now, all we would have to do is out play minn and take their 8th spot.