Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Arrow Best leagues in Europe discussion

I'm a bit blank at the moment for an opening post, but you get the point.

I personally prefer the Serie A and Bundesliga to all leagues, while I find the La Liga the best in overall quality. I find the Premier League ridiculous and feel it has the lowest quality of football outside the top 6 leagues (Spanish, Italian, German, English, French, Portuguese)

Also Greek league is unwatchable as it's the most corrupted league in the world by far where 14 out of 16 teams are there just to benefit one team (Olympiakos). So we have the future champion, who is known 3 years before the league begins, playing 28 friendlies out of 30 fixtures and in case they suck too much the refs make sure they win Undefeated championship for 2012-13 season and I've known it since October 2011 ffs

I watch Panathinaikos in Greece, random Bundesliga games, random La Liga games, lots of Serie A (and all highlights) and an occassional Premier League game if I'm at a pub on a Saturday or actually attend a game*.

* I'm on a mission to visit all London grounds on a matchday, halfway there Including lower leagues.

Be sure to state with honesty which leagues you watch in your argument. AND BE SURE TO HAVE AN ARGUMENT AND NOT JUST A STATEMENT!

vCash
    For me, the Italian Serie A is by far the most enjoyable to watch. Great atmosphere, fans, tradition, culture and it is the most tactical of the major leagues. Also it's producing some good young players.

La Liga is probably the most elite in terms of 'star players', but there's not much parity between sides. Still, it's the most prestigious to watch.

EPL has some quality teams but the atmosphere is lacking, and I personally don't enjoy 'kick and run' football.

The Brazilian leagues are also very good to watch. Great football and a very even level. A team could win the league one year and get relegated the next. Also, Brazilian clubs are improving their finances a lot so it won't be long before they keep all their talented youngsters and even import stars from Europe.

So for me, right now it's 1) Italian Serie A, 2) La Liga Spain, 3) EPL, 4) The Brasileiro and 5) Bundesliga.

vCash
    Superliga is honestly better than the Brasileirao. Brazillian football is honestly like watching a high class MLS game lol. Always back and forth, back and forth, back and forth lol. Portugal has finally gotten real competition now, and will be even better when Sporting stops being terrible lol. Braga, Maritimo, Academica, Rio Ave, etc. are all rising teams too.

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

vCash
    EPL is the most enjoyable to me... i cant stand Serie A... and in La Liga no one outside Barca, Real, Atletico and Malaga is really worth watching. Bundes is also fun but it lacks in quality. French league is Ibra's *****

vCash
    The Premier League is by far the most enjoyable to me. Maybe because I've been brought up watching it but I much prefer fast paced football. Arsenal of the early 2000s being a prime example.

I admire the way teams like Barcelona play, I just don't find it particularly entertaining.

I probably watch La Liga more than the other leagues as we get decent coverage here but I'm a big fan of the Bundesliga.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alencp3 View Post
    EPL is the most enjoyable to me... i cant stand Serie A... and in La Liga no one outside Barca, Real, Atletico and Malaga is really worth watching. Bundes is also fun but it lacks in quality. French league is Ibra's *****
    Zlatan do you anything about the french league? "no, but they know about me"
    Last edited by hizpcstr; 12-30-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Too many what Ifs

vCash
    A bit of analysis on the top leagues.

Continental cup statistics

Last 20 years(1992-93)

Champions League winners: Spain 6, Italy 5, England 4, Germany 2, France 1, Netherlands 1, Portugal 1
    UEFA Cup winners: Italy 5, Spain 5, Germany 2, Portugal 2, Russia 2, England 1, Netherlands 1, Turkey 1, Ukraine 1
    Cup Winners Cup winners: England 2, Italy 2, Spain 2, France 1, Germany 1

Champions League finalists: Italy 6, England 5, Germany 4, Spain 3, France 1, Netherlands 1
    UEFA Cup finalists: England 3, France 3, Germany 3, Italy 3, Spain 3, Portugal 2, Scotland 2, Austria 1
    Cup Winners Cup finalists: France 2, Austria 1, Belgium 1, England 1, Germany 1, Italy 1, Spain 1

Spain 13 wins
    Italy 12 wins
    England 7
    Germany 5 wins
    Portugal 3 wins
    France 2 wins
    Netherlands 2 wins
    Russia 2 wins
    Turkey 1 win
    Ukraine 1 win

Last 10 years(2002-03)

Champions League winners: England 3, Italy 3, Spain 3, Portugal 1
    UEFA Cup winners: Spain 5, Portugal 2, Russia 2, Ukraine 1

Champions League finalists: England 5, Germany 2, Italy 2, France 1
    UEFA Cup finalists: England 2, Portugal 2, Scotland 2, Spain 2, France 1, Germany 1

Spain 8 wins
    England 3 wins
    Italy 3 wins
    Portugal 3 wins
    Russia 2 wins
    Ukraine 1 win

Last 5 years(2007-08)

Champions League winners: England 2, Spain 2, Italy 1
    UEFA Cup winners: Spain 2, Portugal 1, Russia 1, Ukraine 1

Champions League finalists: England 3, Germany 2
    UEFA Cup finalists: England 1, Germany 1, Portugal 1, Scotland 1, Spain 1

Spain 4 wins
    England 2 wins
    Italy 1 win
    Portugal 1 win
    Russia 1 win
    Ukraine 1 win

La Liga

Positives:
    - Very good teams until mid-table positions
    - Relatively good pace combined with technique
    - Top class midfieliders
    - You can watch the two best teams in the world
    - Decent atmosphere, mainly in smaller teams' grounds
    - Successful teams in continental cups
    - Cultural rivalries (Basque, Catalan, Castillan, Galician, Andalucian etc)
    - Decent priced tickets
    - Most owners are fans of the team.

Negatives:
    - Historically has poor competition. Only a handful have won it with Real Madrid and Barcelona dominating almost forever
    - Lots of (young) players die due to organ failures or are diagnoses with such issues, which leads to enhancement drug abuse assumptions
    - Atmosphere is below average in big games
    - Defenses are sub-par
    - Real Madrid and Barcelona can dominate very easily in some occasions.
    - Very top heavy league

Premier League

Positives:
    - Fast paced football
    - Stadiums are filled (over 90% attendance-capacity relation)
    - Great TV broadcast
    - At least 6 teams that have star players
    - Good rivalries
    - Excellent marketing

Negatives:
    - Kick and run style. Painful to watch if you love the sport as midfield is unused in many occasions. Lack of tactical play.
    - Horrid tackles that have no place in the game are often allowed. Overly physical game
    - Atmosphere below par given attendance figures
    - Too many foreigners
    - Overrated players and arrogance (the self-acclaimed "best league in the world")
    - Top heavy league
    - Often has ridiculously one sided results (5-6-7-8 goal margin)
    - Defenses are sub-par
    - Very expensive tickets
    - Most owners are foreign and generally too much foreign money flowing which makes the league more like a business.

Serie A

Positives:
    - Very detailed game, tactics are emphasized which adds a beauty to the game
    - Each team has its own identity in terms of style play.
    - At least 3-4 "wow" goals every month that would make goal of the season in most leagues
    - Great rivalries
    - Top level defenses
    - Excellent competition throughout the league. The first relegation spot is often decided 2-3 matchdays before the end of the season and league is often decided in the last game.
    - Amazing atmosphere in derbies and big games for small clubs
    - Cheap tickets
    - Owners/Chairmen are fans of their teams

Netagives:
    - Relatively corrupted
    - Stadiums are huge and attendance not satisfying
    - Occasions of violence
    - Many clubs on the verge of bankruptcy
    - Badly marketed and underrated players
    - Half the players are foreign
    - Not enough star power
    - Teams do not perform very well in Europe

Bundesliga

Positives:
    - Fast paced game
    - Very competitive throughout the league, one team can challenge for the title one year and next year might be fighting relegation
    - Results are very hard to predict
    - Most players are German
    - Very cheap tickets
    - Stadiums are almost always full
    - Excellent atmosphere
    - Fans own the teams. 50% + 1 rule
    - Teams not allowed to go under (financially) in a season
    - Excellent marketing

Negatives:
    - Defenses below average
    - League depends on one team's condition (Bayern Munich) which tends to dominate
    - Star power almost non-existent besides Bayern Munich players.
    - Underrated players
    - Teams do not perform very well in Europe
    - Fewer games than other top leagues

Goals scored this year

La Liga: 491 after 17 games - 28.88 per matchday - 24.55 per team

Premier League: 567 after 20 games - 28.35 per matchday - 28.35 per team

Serie A: 496 after 18 games - 27.55 per matchday - 24.8 per team

Bundesliga: 444 after 17 games - 26.11 per matchday - 24.67 per team

5+ margin wins and high scoring games(8+)

La Liga: Atletico Madrid-Deportivo 6-0, Mallorca-Real Madrid 0-5, Valladolid-Rayo 6-1 / Deportivo-Barcelona 4-5, Zaragoza-Deportivo 5-3

Premier League: Chelsea-Aston Vila 8-0, Arsenal-Southampton 6-1, Fulham-Norwich 5-0, Manchester City-Aston Vila 5-0, QPR-Swansea 0-5, / Arsenal-Newcastle 7-3

Serie A: Pescara-Juventus 1-6

Bundesliga: Bayern Munich-Stuttgart 6-1, Bayern Munich-Hanover 5-0, Dortmund-Gladbach 5-0 / Freiburg-Hoffenheim 5-3

vCash
    You forgot Serie A and La Liga is filled with players who think they're on fire and are dying.

vCash
    I personally prefer the Premier League, but that might be because it's the only league I watch regularly.

vCash
    My rankings are La Liga, EPL, then Seria A. Outside of a couple of clubs beyond those leagues, everything else is marginal.

vCash
    Why does it matter if there are too many foreign players in a league?

Too many what Ifs

vCash
    he he he.

30 Years.

Number of Different Champions of the League.

Spain: Barcelona Real Madrid Valencia Athletic Atletico Deportivo Real Sociedad
    thats 7 winers
    England: Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal, Leeds, United, Chelsea, City
    thats 7 winers
    Italy: Roma, Juventus, Verona, Napoli, Milan , Inter, Sampdoria, Lazio
    thats 8 winers
    Germany: hamburg, Sttutgart, bayern , Werder, Kaiserslautern, Borussia D, Wolfsburg
    thats 7 winners
    France: nantes, Bordeaux, psg, monaco, marseille, auxerre, lens, lyon, lille, montpellier
    thats 10 winners.

So, not much of a difference in the big 4 leagues in terms of competivity, of course in the 4 of them there are a pair of clubs that have won most of the titles ( RM/Fcb MUFC/LIV Bayern/B.D Juve/Milan).

the only one with most parity is French, but go figure, what happens there is the same that happens in brazil simply, whenever a bunch of players are doing good in one team they are all gone to better leageus at the end of the season and yet Marseille and Lyon won most of the titles.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Dahh Sneak View Post
    You forgot Serie A and La Liga is filled with players who think they're on fire and are dying.

what?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hizpcstr View Post
    Why does it matter if there are too many foreign players in a league?

If that's a serious question then you don't seem to understand the game that well

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast