Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 55
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I used to be on that boat, but I just don't see how he can be better than Harvey after what he showed in the majors so far. I really hope he is better, because that would be mean we are in great shape.

    Why can't he be better than Harvey?

    Makes no sense, if you'd have said 'He can't be better than Doc' then fair enough.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Behind the 8 ball
    Posts
    11,996
    vCash
    1500
    All i know is that suddenly we have prospects worth talking about. Two years ago it was Mejia, and we still have him too.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    28,026
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Moroni View Post
    All i know is that suddenly we have prospects worth talking about. Two years ago it was Mejia, and we still have him too.
    It is nice.

    I'm looking forward to the 2nd and 3rd wave of prospects.


    ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Moroni View Post
    All i know is that suddenly we have prospects worth talking about. Two years ago it was Mejia, and we still have him too.

    Yes, but little else but prospects, and that's all they are, every single one of them.

    We've still got Meija, but he's disappointed.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    52,037
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Why can't he be better than Harvey?

    Makes no sense, if you'd have said 'He can't be better than Doc' then fair enough.
    Not saying he can't, it's just hard for me to see it.

    Harvey from my eye has a plus plus fastball with 3 above average secondaries that he can get swings and misses with.(curve, slider, change)

    He's got all the tools to be an ace, just needs more consistent command of all his pitches.

    Wheeler also has a plus plus fastball and I think his breaking ball is better and more consistent, but his change is not nearly as refined as Harvey's.

    Plus his command is probably a little worse.

    For me, I see Harvey being our #1 while Wheeler is our #2. We'll see.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Long Island
    Posts
    7,312
    vCash
    1500
    Harvey has shown the ability to do well at the major league level.

    Wheeler has not.

    Round 1 goes to Mr. Matt Harvey.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    27,290
    vCash
    1500
    I love what I saw from Harvey but lets take it easy. He had a cup of coffee in the majors.

    Lets see what he does with a full season. I'm optimistic, but I've seen too many of these types fail.
    Go Grab My Belt

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    52,037
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    I love what I saw from Harvey but lets take it easy. He had a cup of coffee in the majors.

    Lets see what he does with a full season. I'm optimistic, but I've seen too many of these types fail.
    I think 10 starts is more than a mere cup of coffee.

    I just think with his drive, make-up, and stuff, he will be successful. Just a gut feeling.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    Harvey has shown the ability to do well at the major league level.

    Wheeler has not.

    Round 1 goes to Mr. Matt Harvey.
    He hasn't had the chance. So it's not round 1 to Harvey at all. If Wheeler comes up and doesn't do as well as MH did in his rookie year as MH did last year, then it's round 1 to MH.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    27,290
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I think 10 starts is more than a mere cup of coffee.

    I just think with his drive, make-up, and stuff, he will be successful. Just a gut feeling.
    It's a cup of coffee. We need to see what he does over close to 200 major league innings and multiple starts against the same lineup.

    We have reason to be optimistic that goes well beyond anyone's gut. But Harvey is far from a guarantee at this point.
    Go Grab My Belt

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    30,626
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I think 10 starts is more than a mere cup of coffee.

    I just think with his drive, make-up, and stuff, he will be successful. Just a gut feeling.
    Not necessarily. While all signs look good, the proof of the pudding will be what he does this year.

    But I like Harvey, a lot, and not just because of his ability to throw and spot pitches but because of what you said about his maturity and attitude. If I do have a concern it's how he and other pitchers on the staff will respond to the domino effect caused by the loss of our number one pitcher and innings eater.

    It's never a good idea to burden young pitchers with more innings.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Long Island
    Posts
    7,312
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    He hasn't had the chance. So it's not round 1 to Harvey at all. If Wheeler comes up and doesn't do as well as MH did in his rookie year as MH did last year, then it's round 1 to MH.
    Okay, so?

    Harvey has shown he can pitch at the major league level. Wheeler has not thrown a pitch wearing a major league uniform.

    As of this moment right now, the scale dips in Harvey's favor. Right now, if I had to pick one of the two, it would be Harvey. Wheeler needs to come up and show he can pitch just as well as Harvey did.

    Matt has proven that he can be very good against MLB batters. Zack has proven nothing at the MLB level yet.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    52,037
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    It's a cup of coffee. We need to see what he does over close to 200 major league innings and multiple starts against the same lineup.

    We have reason to be optimistic that goes well beyond anyone's gut. But Harvey is far from a guarantee at this point.
    Not it's not. And he faced the Phillies twice and dominated them twice.

    Harvey is a smart pitcher, he understands what he needs to do to be successful. He had a 2.73 ERA without spot on command, that just goes to show how good his stuff is. He was a very rare underrated Mets prospect, which doesn't seem to happen these days.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    27,290
    vCash
    1500
    He is a great talent, but 10 starts is nothing. Izzy had a comparable 14 starts to begin his career as a Met - he too was a similarly touted prospect.

    No one is arguing about his talent level, his smarts or his understanding of how to pitch. But it's completely wrong to think his success is guaranteed going forward.
    Go Grab My Belt

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    52,037
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    He is a great talent, but 10 starts is nothing. Izzy had a comparable 14 starts to begin his career as a Met - he too was a similarly touted prospect.

    No one is arguing about his talent level, his smarts or his understanding of how to pitch. But it's completely wrong to think his success is guaranteed going forward.
    No he did not. They aren't even close.

    Izzy: 2.81 ERA, 5.32 K/9, 3 BB/9, 81.7% LOB%, 3.82 FIP
    Harvey: 2.73 ERA, 10.62 K/9, 3.94 BB/9, 81.3% LOB%, 3.30 FIP

    Izzy's performance was unsustainable for a number of reasons:

    1)The lack of strikeouts.
    2)The lack of a 3rd pitch.(Harvey has 4 pitches)

    I understand your caution because of generation K, but Harvey was undersold and is a pretty safe bet moving forward.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •