Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Out-of-state colleges compared to in-state colleges

I'm a freshmen right now at a junior college, so by this time next year I should basically know where I want to go after. I really wanna go out of state and am looking at San Diego State University. But I live in Illinois, so I am also looking at U of I and Roosevelt as a destinations to. I wanna know what your guys' opinions are on the pros and cons of in-state and out-of-state colleges. I have an uncle who lives in San Diego to, so would there be anyway I could say I live with him to be declared a resident?
    Last edited by bosox_mattyice3; 12-29-2012 at 12:18 PM.

vCash
    I can only comment on residency. For you to live with (or say you live with) your uncle, you'll need to change your address for basically everything. There may also be regulations on how long you're a resident to be considered one for tuition purposes.

That kinda thing can be risky as it could constitute fraud if you're not careful. I'd do a LOT of research.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueman2424 View Post
    I can only comment on residency. For you to live with (or say you live with) your uncle, you'll need to change your address for basically everything. There may also be regulations on how long you're a resident to be considered one for tuition purposes.

That kinda thing can be risky as it could constitute fraud if you're not careful. I'd do a LOT of research.
    Yeah I'm sketched out on that too. If almost rather pay the 20k extra just to be out of a situation like that. I was just curious if anyone knew those regulations.

vCash
    Here's the residency information for SDSU.

I grew up in Chicago and attended college in California; had family in the area, but I didn't qualify for residency. I initially wasn't going to be able to afford attending as an out of state student, but tuition ultimately wasn't an issue after I was awarded a scholarship.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 12-29-2012 at 12:43 PM.

vCash
    California's residency rules are insane because... well, who doesn't want to live in California?

You can't be claimed on your parents taxes for the past three years.

The rest is pretty do-able for most kids, from what I remember. You obviously have to prove that you plan on staying (documents such as a license), you have to be physically living there for a year, and I believe you need to make around 10k to prove intent on becoming a full-time resident.

There's not much of a way around the system, unless colleges are more lenient than I would expect. And I bet they aren't.
    Last edited by Buckwheat; 12-29-2012 at 01:33 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox_mattyice3 View Post
    I'm a freshmen right now at a junior college, so by this time next year I should basically know where I want to go after. I really wanna go out of state and am looking at San Diego State University. But I live in Illinois, so I am also looking at U of I and Roosevelt as a destinations to. I wanna know what your guys' opinions are on the pros and cons of in-state and out-of-state colleges. I have an uncle who lives in San Diego to, so would there be anyway I could say I live with him to be declared a resident?
    ew. why?

vCash
    Roosevelt is really nice. Don't worry about Howe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Roosevelt is really nice. Don't worry about Howe.
    well, it certainly beats chicago state.

vCash
    Chicago State <3

vCash
    Go to school where you are most happy. I cannot describe how much complaining I've heard from friends that are going to school where they didn't want to go. If you are happy where you are, no matter in state or out of state, your grades will be better and your social life will be better.

There are ways to beat the residency system, but you'd have to really look into that.

vCash
    Yeah you have to completely become an independent person from your parents, and live in the state of California for a year, or move with your parents to California and live their for a year till you establish residency.

It might not be a whole year, but the majority of the year you would have to spend in Cali.

And yes, go where you will enjoy yourself, you will be going there for the next few years

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kjoke View Post
    Yeah you have to completely become an independent person from your parents, and live in the state of California for a year, or move with your parents to California and live their for a year till you establish residency.

It might not be a whole year, but the majority of the year you would have to spend in Cali.

And yes, go where you will enjoy yourself, you will be going there for the next few years
    That's easy to say, but most California schools will cost an out of state person between 35,000 and 60,000 dollars per year Not easy to swing for most people... especially Ryne, the bisexual getting his degree in theatre.

vCash
    for me, i'm staying in-state because i can't leave my mom and my autistic little brother on their own. i suggest you go out of state, and expand your horizons i guess. as long as it's the college you want and your parents have the dough, out of state schools tend to cost way more.

vCash

Out-of-state colleges compared to in-state colleges

Yeah I really want to go out of state. I feel like the extra money is well worth the experience alone. My sister, 25 now, went to England for a semester abroad. She loved it so much she lives in England now. I'm leaning towards SDSU and plan on visiting this spring. I'm pumped.

For those who live near, does SDSU have a nice campus. From what I've seen and heard its pretty nice.

vCash
    I'm going to college for as cheap as possible. My community college was about $1,500 a semester and my university is about $3,000 a semester. It's taking me a little longer to get my degree, but that's more because of family issues than the university.

So if it were me I would go to college in-state. I don't like to be too far from my family, though.

Do what makes you happy, but I see little reason to pay that much extra just to go to college out of state. California is nice, but not that nice.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast